• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    +1 for Laserscribe (so far). Just dropped off my 2 AR pistol lowers and 1 AK pistol (minus grip and SB-47 brace). Met with Ted (the owner) and he was very helpful. They are doing the engraving on the rigth side of the mag well of the 2 ARs and on the bottom of the receiver (between the mag well and the forend) on the AK pistol.

Charge is $35 each for the 2 ARs and $50 for the AK since they have to make a jig for it. Should be picking them up early next week.

Nice guy. I hope the finished product is worthy of an additional +1

Would you be interested in asking him about the FFL? Maybe they aren't aware of the law or maybe they already have one. As a customer I'm now a little hesitant on letting them have any more of my lowers....just in case.

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    Would you be interested in asking him about the FFL? Maybe they aren't aware of the law or maybe they already have one. As a customer I'm now a little hesitant on letting them have any more of my lowers....just in case.

Ask him what about an FFL? Are you saying they need an FFL to engrave firearms?

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Ask him what about an FFL? Are you saying they need an FFL to engrave firearms?

Yes they do.

I'm not trying to start trouble at all. They've done three for me and the work is great. This thread just has me thinking and I think it would be best for all of us to have this cleared up.

Echelon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Yes they do.

I'm not trying to start trouble at all. They've done three for me and the work is great. This thread just has me thinking and I think it would be best for all of us to have this cleared up.

I agree, they have engraved a lower for me, and it was quality work.... BUT, I don't want to be supportive of a business that may not be following FFL laws when it comes to my NFA stuff. If there is anything to be cautious with, its NFA.

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    Wow....I had no idea. I am going to contact them immediately to get my guns back as I certainly do not want to be on the wrong side of the NFA. Hell....that's the reason I am having them engraved in the first place!

purple72

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 26, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Maybe I can clarify this a bit. You don't need an FL to engrave a gun. Where the FFL comes into play, is if you will be keeping the firearm overnight or shipping/ receiving firearms across state lines. Or changing ownership. So if someone is engraving guns and returning it to the rightful owner all in the same day. an FFL is not needed. Hopefully this clears a few questions up.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Maybe I can clarify this a bit. You don't need an FL to engrave a gun. Where the FFL comes into play, is if you will be keeping the firearm overnight or shipping/ receiving firearms across state lines. Or changing ownership. So if someone is engraving guns and returning it to the rightful owner all in the same day. an FFL is not needed. Hopefully this clears a few questions up.

Not quite true. If you do any work on a firearm for profit, you need an FFL regardless of weather you keep it overnight or not. If they were doing it for free, and not keeping the firearm no big deal. But charging for the work constitutes "engaging in business"

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Big plus one to menzzer37. He exceeded my expectations. I asked him to put my information on the fixed trigger guard. I figured he would have to do it spaced out, but he managed to cram it in one little space and still keep it within NFA requirements.

Igw, menzzer said he's getting one in the next day or so, so he'll be able to give you more information.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    BTWmenzzer37's shop is now in Noblesville. I don't know if the mods want to change the OP or not.

Last edited:

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    Got my lowers back from Laserscribe. They did an excellent job and I certainly would use them again.

However, I inquired via email today about their services and how it relates to needing an FFL. I will report back.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Got my lowers back from Laserscribe. They did an excellent job and I certainly would use them again.

However, I inquired via email today about their services and how it relates to needing an FFL. I will report back.

I asked John about it when I picked my lower up on Monday (forgot to post about it). He said they do not have an FFL and don't need one as what they do is not considered a modification. :dunno: I told him I was under the impression that as long as they held the lower overnight they had to have one. He said they have had multiple LEO's there and have never had a problem. I still expressed my concern and suggested the owner contact his attorney about it so they don't get into trouble. He said he would talk to the owner about it.
    I agree they did a great job but without an FFL I don't think I'll be taking anything serialized in for engraving just to be on the safe side.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    I asked John about it when I picked my lower up on Monday (forgot to post about it). He said they do not have an FFL and don't need one as what they do is not considered a modification. :dunno: I told him I was under the impression that as long as they held the lower overnight they had to have one. He said they have had multiple LEO's there and have never had a problem. I still expressed my concern and suggested the owner contact his attorney about it so they don't get into trouble. He said he would talk to the owner about it.
    I agree they did a great job but without an FFL I don't think I'll be taking anything serialized in for engraving just to be on the safe side.

Thanks a lot.

I'm in the same position as you. The three they've done for me look great but I'm afraid to leave another in their possession just in case.

Top Bottom