Linux Mint, Cinnamin gurus, a moment of your time please.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    I have an old Dell, Dimension XPS computer that is running Windows XP and of course it is way out of date and almost useless, BUT!
    I am running Linux, Mint, Cinnamon version 17.2 off of a thumb drive and using Firefox 1.0 for my browser and it seems to be doing very, very well. The only problem is that by running off of a thumb drive it is very slow to respond.
    Now I read that this is normal and if I wanted a faster response I would need to install it directly to the hard drive.
    My question is, do I need to or is it recommended to delete Windows, XP or just create a dual boot ????? partition and how would I do that?

Last edited:

MnemonicMonkey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2012
    Yes, and...

If it's old enough to still be running XP, and you're lucky enough that the hard drive is SATA, you might spend $30 and get an inexpensive solid state drive. That would really speed things up, especially since your platter drive is going to be nearing the end of it's useful life.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    The previous two posters hit the nail in the head.

If xo doesn't have anything useful. Nuke and pave.

Ssd's are cheap pick one or two up and switch to them.

I use newegg.com for hardware. Don't spring for the faster shipping. They have a warehouse in Indy so it's typically pretty quick.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Yep, agree with the previous posts. The thumb drive setup you're using should have an Install icon or something similar that lets you setup Linux Mint on your hard drive. You can have it delete the partitions and recreate them (or just format them) as part of the setup process.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I've switched everything (I actually use) to mint, I think it's 19.x. I used Cinammon because KDE's methods have become... unsound. I haven't used the thumb drive, but the installation stuff is pretty feature encrusted when you do that. Single/dual boot, how you want it to do that, what abuse you want to inflict on the drives/partitions, usw. Windoze lost me sometime in the 7 era.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    You can always run it as a virtual machine

On an old Windows XP machine? Doubt it has the horsepower to do a decent job.

-------

The info listed above is good. One critical point left out..

Be sure to backup anything you care about or might care about before installing. If it is a secondary system and you don't care about anything on your Windows XP software/data, then just create a dedicated Linux box. Definitely get the latest Linux Mint (v19.3) before building the new setup.

If you do have some software that you want to keep running under XP, then things get stickier. A dual boot system would be needed, but then your system capacity becomes much more critical. If you do want to keep XP, then things get considerably more complex. Let us know and we'll offer some guidance.

Between a new hard drive and running from that drive rather than your usb drive, you'll be amazed at the performance improvement.

Last edited:

xoregonian

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    Jay Co.
    I'm currently running Linux mint 18.3 and have been for awhile. When you install, you should be given the option to dual boot, when it detects an existing partition. You could also format and do a clean install. You can have the installer auto partition the drive. One reason to dual boot is to have the option to run a windows program. Yes you can run windows programs in Linux which is sometimes easy and other times not so much. I use a USB external drive for storage so the dual boot works fine.
    I'm using an old iBuypower that my kids abandoned a few years ago for something newer and cooler. Works fine.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    Yes, and...

If it's old enough to still be running XP, and you're lucky enough that the hard drive is SATA, you might spend $30 and get an inexpensive solid state drive. That would really speed things up, especially since your platter drive is going to be nearing the end of it's useful life.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

When I boot up I wait and hit F12. It then offers a list of options, the first one mentions a SATA drive (whatever that is) and 8 other choices, #9 is boot to utility partition. So if I understand correctly, I should replace the SATA drive, where drive C: is, with a (solid state drive) and then install Linux, Mint on the solid state drive from the thumb drive.
    Did I get that right?

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    When I boot up I wait and hit F12. It then offers a list of options, the first one mentions a SATA drive (whatever that is) and 8 other choices, #9 is boot to utility partition. So if I understand correctly, I should replace the SATA drive, where drive C: is, with a (solid state drive) and then install Linux, Mint on the solid state drive from the thumb drive.
    Did I get that right?

You got that right. Provided you dont care about what's on the xp part.

Do you care about the win xp software or files? Pics,music,docs etc?

Do not deviate from your current set up until you are sure about what is needed from windows

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    I'm redoing floors and money is short, as always, and so is my patients. So I decided to scrap all of it, the old computer and two old tablets and instead I bought a new Samsung, Galaxy 2019 Tab A 10.1, SM-T510 for $200.00, Alex.
    I haven't had time to use it much but I hope I like it.
    My Daughter recommended it.

sngehl01

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2018
    Elizabeth
    I know you said you scrapped it - but going to add something here to hopefully help.

If you had nothing you needed to the extent that you would just "scrap it" and move on, don't hesitate to blow away windows. Linux (just about any flavor) will run much better on that old machine. Even more so if you decide to drop an SSD in it (assuming it doesn't already have one). You can pick up a small SSD for $20-$30.

Hit F12 for your boot options, boot from USB, install linux, once installed run (in terminal)

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade -y

This will update and upgrade your packages.

You are good to move forward from there. If you have any questions you can respond or PM me.

Otherwise - enjoy the new tablet!

Top Bottom