• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Does the First Amendment Cover the Right to “Like” Something on Facebook?
    The answer to that question is no, at least according to the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virgina, which has ruled that Facebook "likes" do not count as constitutionally protected forms of speech...Read it here

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    IDK...For some reason this is not computing. I don't follow the reason for this ruling. :noway: Dislike.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I've already seen several cases of people being put on watch lists because of clicking "like" on an article.

This is par for the course.

hondatech2k2

Shooter
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Jul 10, 2011
    Greenwood
    My work has a "social media non-disclosure act". I had my account set to extremely private and only my "friends" could view my comments. One day I was ticked off and made the comment: "So irritated with work...just when you think you have seen it all...BAM...right in the face.". Keep in mind I did not put my employment information down, and high private settings. Well apparently one of those so called "friends" decided to kiss some butt and tattle. Corporate dropped the hammer down on me and wanted me to reframe from using anything that might incriminate, smear, or defame the company. They wanted me to add all the managers at work and to set my account to public so they could view it. I laughed at them and told them I deleted my account....."when?" they asked, me: "well, you just seen me on my phone 3 seconds ago, right? I did it then." Completely crap.... corporate America at its best.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I'm with Volokh on this one. The judge was dead wrong in his opinion. There's no way that a "like" isn't speech. It's a statement of opinion. Hopefully this case will work its way up an be overturned by a better court.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My work has a "social media non-disclosure act". I had my account set to extremely private and only my "friends" could view my comments. One day I was ticked off and made the comment: "So irritated with work...just when you think you have seen it all...BAM...right in the face.". Keep in mind I did not put my employment information down, and high private settings. Well apparently one of those so called "friends" decided to kiss some butt and tattle. Corporate dropped the hammer down on me and wanted me to reframe from using anything that might incriminate, smear, or defame the company. They wanted me to add all the managers at work and to set my account to public so they could view it. I laughed at them and told them I deleted my account....."when?" they asked, me: "well, you just seen me on my phone 3 seconds ago, right? I did it then." Completely crap.... corporate America at its best.

Actually, a supposed friend at their worst.
    Be alert, stay aware, people suck most everywhere.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    If burning a flag is constitutionally protected speech...even though no "statement" is made... Then why is a FB "like" not treated the same.

Interesting.

Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    Reality

I guess corporate America only 'likes' social media when the reports are positive. Sounds more like traditional media to me...

Top Bottom