• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosiertriangle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    Avon, IN
    The only issue I see is that the law of "posted signage" is different in Indiana then it is in Ohio. Ohio statutes, I believe, make the carrying on property with a sign posted a violation of the law. Indiana has no such statute. The signs are meaningless and the private landowner would be required to ask you to leave before having you charged with trespassing.

I think a letter stating that the business is posting a sign which essentially states we're not welcome and the negatives of discouraging us important.

I would be interested on other input on the "posted signage" requirements here in Indiana. I don't think Indiana's trespass statute is written where disobeying a posted sign makes you a trespasser.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Might not be a bad idea to have one ready in the event of a specific situation that gets sticky.

I've taken a whole new attitude as the result of some other threads that have enlightened me. It seems to me that the majority of the private property no gun signs are for law suit prevention and public perception issues. Other than gov't buildings, schools and airport terminals, I'll not worry about the signs. I'll CC, keep it holstered and stay safe.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    I didn't want a verbatim copy of the Ohio Letter. And I know in Indiana those signs don't carry the weight of law, which means I too will happily ignore them.

I do think it's worth while to send a carefully worded, Educational letter to companies that do promote a Criminal Empowerment Zone.

I might have to spend some time next week and write something up that's legally accurate in this state and submit it for review here.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    The letter is good, obviously would need to be adapted to Indiana statute, but it is used to educate and that is a good thing.

Still, I never really looked for NO GUN signs until recently. Honestly I have a heck of a time finding places in Northwest Indiana that display them. I know of some chains that have corporate policies but I can't find signs in their stores proclaiming their NO GUN policy. For example Circuit City has a NO GUN policy but I specifically went to one of the local stores looking for the sign and could not find it. Jared Galleria of Jewelry is posted.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    Does anyone think a letter similar to the one over at Ohioans for Concealed Carry would be worth while here in Indiana?

This is the example letter.
    http://www.ohioccw.org/images/files/business owners letter - revised 12-27-2007.pdf

:noway:
    Actually I think it would do more harm than good. Keep in mind that Ohio has just recently enacted a carry law, and most likely, most buisness owners have little knowledge about it, and the letter would be considered educational in nature.
    I make it a point to read all of the little signs on and/or near the entrance of all of the businesses I frequent, and it is very rare to see a sign prohibiting firearms, and believe that most of them would view that type of letter as poking the bull :stickpoke:, kinda like what got the guy in S Bend in trouble.
    I think we as gun owners would be supprised to find out how many anti gun business owners have never given any thought that someone might be carrying a gun in their store, and after getting a letter informing them that someone wants to, would post a sign, where there wasn't one before. :twocents:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    :noway:
    Actually I think it would do more harm than good. Keep in mind that Ohio has just recently enacted a carry law, and most likely, most buisness owners have little knowledge about it, and the letter would be considered educational in nature.
    I make it a point to read all of the little signs on and/or near the entrance of all of the businesses I frequent, and it is very rare to see a sign prohibiting firearms, and believe that most of them would view that type of letter as poking the bull :stickpoke:, kinda like what got the guy in S Bend in trouble.
    I think we as gun owners would be supprised to find out how many anti gun business owners have never given any thought that someone might be carrying a gun in their store, and after getting a letter informing them that someone wants to, would post a sign, where there wasn't one before. :twocents:

A valid concern, certainly, but I think not realistic. Most business owners (in IN, at least) have had to work hard to get what they have. They're likely conservative enough to recognize the facts, not the scare tactics.

Of course, there are the few idiots, but I think that the "no gun=no $" cards might drive that point home to them.

Keep in mind as well that "the first liar tells the truth", not to say that our side lies, of course we have no reason to do so, but the point I'm making is that if we get something like this out there FIRST, the antis have to play a defensive action. This is normally our forte', not theirs; they're used to being on the attack and making us defend our rights. I can see benefits to this-how beneficial they are is for others wiser than I to determine.

Blessings,
    B

Top Bottom