• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Legba

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    NE Indiana
    Got a letter back in the mail from Coats today. Pretty Vague.

Dear Jason,

Thank you for contacting me about gun control laws in the wake of the tragic Newtown, Connecticut shooting. I appreciate hearing from you.

We are all deeply saddened by the tragedy that occurred at Sandy Hook Elementary School on December 14,2012. My heart breaks for the victims, the families and the community of Newtown who must endure this unfortunate reality because of the violent acts of a single, unstable individual.

I support the Second Amendment rights for law-abiding citizens. While laws alone cannot eliminate all acts of violence from this world, our country needs to have a much broader discussion on the direction of our culture, how we deal with mental illness and how we can protect our children. Any policy debate we have in the coming weeks should focus on how we can keep our children safe.

Thank you again for contacting me, and please do not hesitate to keep in touch on matters that concern you.

Sincerely,

Dan Coats
    U.S Senator

Olive Drab

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Indy
    I found this on Wikipedia:

On multiple occasions, Senator Coats supported gun control measures. In 1991, he voted in favor of Biden-Thurmond Violent Crime Control Act of 1991. This act, which did not become law, would have created a waiting period for handgun purchases and placed a ban on semi-automatic firearms. Subsequently, he supported the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act that President Clinton signed into law in 1993.[2] The legislation imposed a waiting period before a handgun could be transferred to an individual by a licensed dealer, importer, or manufacturer. This waiting period ended when the computerized instant check system came online. Coats also supported Feinstein Amendment 1152 to the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1993.[3] The purpose of the Feinstein Amendment was to "restrict the manufacture, transfer, and possession of certain semiautomatic assault weapons and large capacity ammunition feeding devices."[4]

This and a C+ rating from the NRA, I don't believe Mr. Coats takes his oath to support The Constitution of the United States of America very seriously.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Here's the letter I just got from him, dated January 15, 2013:
    Thank you for contacting me about the current debate on gun control laws. I appreciate hearing from you.

I will not support any legislation or broader effort that would serve to undermine the Second Amendment. I am a proud supporter of gun rights and will oppose any gun control initiative that infringes upon ownership rights for responsible, law abiding citizens. I am strongly opposed to proposals such as Senator Diane Feinstein's bill to impose an assault weapons ban and efforts by the Executive Branch to implement controls solely by executive action.

Thank you again for contacting me, and please do not hesitate to keep in touch on matters of concern to you.

Sincerely,

Dan Coats
    U.S. Senator

DRC/cp

Does nothing to change my opinion of him as an opportunistic carpet bagger.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I found this on Wikipedia:

This and a C+ rating from the NRA, I don't believe Mr. Coats takes his oath to support The Constitution of the United States of America very seriously.
    He doesn't. He is traitor. Up until this term, he should have been rated an F.

That said, he seems to want to get reelected.

Keep the pressure on him and let him know Hoosiers view a mag ban as just as bad as an gun ban.

No compromise. Ever.

Legba

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    NE Indiana
    Here's the letter I just got from him, dated January 15, 2013:

Does nothing to change my opinion of him as an opportunistic carpet bagger.

Mine was from the 10th. I like your letter a lot better. What bugs me is that I asked him flat out if he will support a AWB.

JBI812

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    East side Indianapol
    I received a written response from Senator Coats regarding the proposed weapon ban. It was a positive statement saying he would not support the ban on assault rifles.

There was no mention of the added regulation and tax on the private sale of firearms. The tax would likely be in the form of a transfer fees for background paid to the local gun store. And, frankly I'm not sure the local stores want the added burden.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I recieved a letter today.

Similar language but not identical (so at least not the exact same form letter!)

What is encouraging is this statement:

I will not support any legislation or executive action that would serve to undermine ownership rights for responsible, law abiding citizens, including any assault weapons ban.

Perhaps our letters are making a difference guys...

Top Bottom