• mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Okay...off to put that pan in the fridge! Thanks! My friends are looking forward to sampling this one too. They are already hooked on the bourbon balls :):

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Myers Dark Rum. I thought about the spiced rum, but the recipe called for the dark so that's what I went with. I keep that on hand for my patriotic rum runners ;)

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    Marzipan, marzipan, marzipan...

Or is everyone on INGO allergic to nuts? Softer than fudge, generally tastier than fudge, easier to make than fudge, and you can still booze it up.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Where is this marzipan recipe??? I'm open to any recipe that can be boozed up! My friend has the BEST maraschino cherries....I bet those would be good in fudge now that I'm thinking about this!

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    Where is this marzipan recipe??? I'm open to any recipe that can be boozed up! My friend has the BEST maraschino cherries....I bet those would be good in fudge now that I'm thinking about this!

Two pounds powdered blanched almond mixed with one pound confectioners sugar, one and one-half cup corn syrup, 2 shots favorite liquor/liqueur. Knead until consistent in a mixing bowl, form into balls or shapes, color as desired, chill for a little bit if you prefer it more firm, and enjoy. It's delicious. Some people use egg whites in their recipes, but I don't want to worry about salmonella. I'm sure the internet has plenty of variations on recipes, but this is the one my mother passed on to me from my great grandmother.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Two pounds powdered blanched almond mixed with one pound confectioners sugar, one and one-half cup corn syrup, 2 shots favorite liquor/liqueur. Knead until consistent in a mixing bowl, form into balls or shapes, color as desired, chill for a little bit if you prefer it more firm, and enjoy. It's delicious. Some people use egg whites in their recipes, but I don't want to worry about salmonella. I'm sure the internet has plenty of variations on recipes, but this is the one my mother passed on to me from my great grandmother.

So what liquor do you recommend? I have pretty much everything in the cabinet to choose from. That sounds like one to try!

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I always wondered why my mom wouldn't let me have very many of the bourbon balls when I was a kid. She fed me codeine cough syrup when I had a cold. Then, years later I found out she didn't know there was codeine in it :) I wonder if the bourbon balls would be good with honey or cherry etc. they're selling now.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I always wondered why my mom wouldn't let me have very many of the bourbon balls when I was a kid. She fed me codeine cough syrup when I had a cold. Then, years later I found out she didn't know there was codeine in it :) I wonder if the bourbon balls would be good with honey or cherry etc. they're selling now.

Flavored bourbon? Hmmmm....I would try the cherry....might have to pop in at the liquor store tomorrow to see what they have. I need to pick up some maraschino cherries anyway so a trip to town could be in order.

Piobair

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 12, 2011
    NWI
    Myers Dark Rum. I thought about the spiced rum, but the recipe called for the dark so that's what I went with. I keep that on hand for my patriotic rum runners ;)

I have a batch setting up now. We were out of Myers Dark Rum, but it's coming out fine with Sailor Jerry's spiced rum. 8 Tbps tasted right, so I hope it sets well. Sriracha party nuts are in the oven while I wait on the fudge.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I really need to go visit the liquor store...peach too? We like the peach pie moonshine but peach whiskey? Sounds interesting!

I have apple pie moonshine...better then the bacardi rum. Not sure how many proofs it is though.

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    So what liquor do you recommend? I have pretty much everything in the cabinet to choose from. That sounds like one to try!

Well, to be honest, I can't tell you what we use. (Family secret.) But you're welcome to try anything you think might taste good. I've heard that traditionally it's supposed to be cherry brandy, or kirsch. But I've also had people put in anything from rum to whiskey with pretty decent results.

TheEngineer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    Down South
    I use Jack Daniels for the bourbon balls.

Not trying to be "that guy" :whistle:, but technically Jack Daniels isn't bourbon...its Tennessee Whiskey, so you are making whiskey balls :):

Flavored bourbon? Hmmmm....I would try the cherry....might have to pop in at the liquor store tomorrow to see what they have. I need to pick up some maraschino cherries anyway so a trip to town could be in order.

If you're wanting to branch out into flavored bourbons, might i suggest Jim Beam Maple (Beam Global) The bourbon is delicious straight, i cant imagine how insanely good in would be in fudge/bourbon balls :drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Not a "real" fudge IMHO, but I've used the Fantasy Fudge recipe on the jars of Jet-Puffed Marshmallow Creme a few times as a quick and easy fudge fix.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Well, to be honest, I can't tell you what we use. (Family secret.) But you're welcome to try anything you think might taste good. I've heard that traditionally it's supposed to be cherry brandy, or kirsch. But I've also had people put in anything from rum to whiskey with pretty decent results.

Hmmm...I have a concoction we made by soaking tart cherries in rum. The rum now has a nice cherry flavor. I am thinking that would work well...maybe even mince up some of those booze soaked cherries to mix in. This could be good!

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Not trying to be "that guy" :whistle:, but technically Jack Daniels isn't bourbon...its Tennessee Whiskey, so you are making whiskey balls :):

If you're wanting to branch out into flavored bourbons, might i suggest Jim Beam Maple (Beam Global) The bourbon is delicious straight, i cant imagine how insanely good in would be in fudge/bourbon balls :drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:

I'll have to put that on my list of things to look for at the liquor store when I go tomorrow. This could be a pricey visit!

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    How much easier for a quality bourbon to go down vs Bacardi? I don't enjoy drinking Bacardi straight...

Top Bottom