• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Here's what I grew up driving: 1972 Ford F100 Custom... Straight from the factory: 360ci V8, 3 speed transmission, even had AC, though the vent windows and slide vent for the driver's legs were pretty awesome as well. Ended up with just under 100k miles... Had to sell it when mom died, as I just couldn't give it the care needed to keep it up and running like I wanted to. I know it was rated as 1/2 ton, but that truck would haul anything you could get into the 8 ft bed--we'd filled to above the tailgate level with potting soil, hauled even more wood, God only knows how much lumber... It still haunts me that I had to let it go!

72 ford.jpg

And this is my daily driver: Tacoma 4x4 Sport with most all the bells and whistles for creature comfort. The only things I've added to this truck are the low profile truck box that you can't see and the brush guard to discourage/survive deer kamikazis--had 3 different deer try to take me out the season before I coaxed SWMBO into letting me add it. I had to wait almost 4 months to have Toyota build this one on special order, as it's a 6-speed MANUAL... I was told there are only a few of those built per year:

toyota.jpg

Sorry about the small pic sizes--I'm not yet internet-savvy enough to go from the 7 meg phone pic to something that looks decent on here. And even with all this forced vacay time, too lazy when there's other things to do. :whistle:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Wow. Didn't know they even made that.:n00b:

My guess is it has something to do with CAFE standards. They have to have a certain average fuel economy for the entire fleet they build (or sell) for the year. I’d been told one time that manual transmission vehicles are harder to control pollution and fuel consumption wise. That’s my guess why they build so few.

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    My guess is it has something to do with CAFE standards. They have to have a certain average fuel economy for the entire fleet they build (or sell) for the year. I’d been told one time that manual transmission vehicles are harder to control pollution and fuel consumption wise. That’s my guess why they build so few.

You may be right. I was told at the dealership that almost nobody even thinks to ask for a truck without an automatic tranny nowadays. Mine was the only one being ordered during those 4 months of wait time from that dealership--I asked.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    iu

Isuzu Pup ext cab. I bought one for $300 and put 85,000 miles on it.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Depends what you call work. I’m a homeowner and don’t work in the trades. I use my truck to haul assorted homeowner type stuff like lumber and building materials, sports equipment etc.... And I haul bulk mulch 2 yards at a time in the spring. It’s not a work truck. It looks the way I want and has all the creature comforts I want, and it’s easy to move stuff with. It’s not a work truck.
    Same with mine. 1997 Dodge Laramie (5.9 litre). It used to be pretty. Used to be my daily driver when I got it (towards the end of 1997 as a dealer demo with 56K miles on it). Now has around 165K on it and probably has had less than 1200 miles put on it per year for the last 10 years or so. Just trips to get firewood or mulch mostly, and to haul the pontoon boat down to Monroe (although that hasn't happened the past 2 years :(). Gas gauge doesn't work anymore, so I just reset the trip odometer and fill it up when it hits 200 miles.

vr7lXWJ.jpg

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    I took my fancy 1/2 ton truck to a gravel pit today, dragging a trailer through mud holes created by a giant Terex loader. It’s still a truck no matter how shiny it is, or what it cost.
    I crossed the scales empty at 8600 pounds, I needed a ton of fill sand. I left north of 14,000 pounds. Truck pulled it fine. It’s a truck. Anybody need some sand?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I took my fancy 1/2 ton truck to a gravel pit today, dragging a trailer through mud holes created by a giant Terex loader. It’s still a truck no matter how shiny it is, or what it cost.
    I crossed the scales empty at 8600 pounds, I needed a ton of fill sand. I left north of 14,000 pounds. Truck pulled it fine. It’s a truck. Anybody need some sand?
    Man, if I still had a sandbox I would take some. Did you know that you can pour gasoline in the sand, light it, let it burn down a little, then take a shovel and throw a shovel full of burning sand up in the air, and get a pretty close approximation of a "Hollywood Style" fireball? (I was a latch key kid. :):)

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Man, if I still had a sandbox I would take some. Did you know that you can pour gasoline in the sand, light it, let it burn down a little, then take a shovel and throw a shovel full of burning sand up in the air, and get a pretty close approximation of a "Hollywood Style" fireball? (I was a latch key kid. :):)
    I’ll film it, if you can post it....

sempreobie

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Boone County
    Bought this 06' F150 from a co-worker a few years back with only 37k miles. It's primarily used for fun, e.g., biking, camping, boating and hauling firewood to heat our home (not so fun).

4wgxZ8R.jpg

zJgVW9h.jpg

sempreobie

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Boone County
    Trucks ain't supposed to be perdy. They're supposed to look like they've worked for a living.

I'm sure glad the wife doesn't subscribe to that line of thinking. Wives ain't supposed to be perdy, they're supposed to look like they've given birth to two kids. I.e. they can do the work and still look good, especially when taken care of.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Truck.jpg

2012 Ram Express 4x4
    It's the first vehicle I ever bought new and I figured that I'd get at least 10 years out of it, so far so good. I just hit 60k miles. I changed the oil (Pennzoil Ultra Premium synthetic) and washed/clay-bared/waxed it on my days off. Also washed the police-mobile and my Camaro SS/RS you can see reflected in the truck but only the truck got waxed so far. I bought a power washer at Lowes and have gone mad with power washing...power. My cars, the neighbor's truck, the house, unattended children, an unlucky squirrel, all fair game.

The truck itself is stock other than Ram all weather floor mats and the Tonnomax folding bed cover. Lifetime warranty so I'm not tinkering with anything. I've had a coil go out (warranty covered it) and that's been it. Still on stock brakes, battery, and just replaced the OEM tires with Terra Grapplers last year when I picked up a bunch of metal in two of them.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom