• ...and so much more!
  • dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    I carry papper spray and/or pepper blaster but not really just to have the "nonlethal" option. Training is hard enough without me thinking "ok this one's not Quiiiiite that bad, so I'll just go for the left pocket and get the pepper spray". No, realistically, I think in a scary situation I don't get to start slow.

However, I do carry it sometimes when I don't have a really good place to put the gun (ie not as fast of access due to clothing) or the pepper blaster is legal but the firearm is illegal.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    It sounds like some posters don't quite have a full understanding of less-lethal implements and their purpose or use. They aren't used in place of firearms. They aren't used to bolster a "fight". And they aren't intended to be used against an attacker wielding a gun, knife, or stick.

For us 'regular guys' they are simply tools that give us time to disengage. They also have the advantage of allowing a certain amount of "fudge room" if you aren't 100% certain with escalating to lethal force.

In most of the training I've been exposed to that involved less-lethal options, they focus on what southnarc has coined "managing unknown contacts". These would be your random strangers asking for the time, an aggressive fellow motorist, or any other direct contact where an appropriate response could be anything from a firm command presence to a full-on gun fight. Less-lethal options like a flashlight or OC allow one to gain some extra time and/or space to aid in determining and following through with the appropriate response.

Like anything else, the knowledge and experience of when and where to utilize such options will always trump the simple presence of the tool.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    It sounds like some posters don't quite have a full understanding of less-lethal implements and their purpose or use. They aren't used in place of firearms. They aren't used to bolster a "fight". And they aren't intended to be used against an attacker wielding a gun, knife, or stick.

For us 'regular guys' they are simply tools that give us time to disengage. They also have the advantage of allowing a certain amount of "fudge room" if you aren't 100% certain with escalating to lethal force.

In most of the training I've been exposed to that involved less-lethal options, they focus on what southnarc has coined "managing unknown contacts". These would be your random strangers asking for the time, an aggressive fellow motorist, or any other direct contact where an appropriate response could be anything from a firm command presence to a full-on gun fight. Less-lethal options like a flashlight or OC allow one to gain some extra time and/or space to aid in determining and following through with the appropriate response.

Like anything else, the knowledge and experience of when and where to utilize such options will always trump the simple presence of the tool.
    Well said! FWIW the "bear spray" I've seen comes in a can that's about like a 20oz beer and has a range of about 20'. It's 20% capsicum so it will probably have good effect on bezerk or drunk assailants. Kimber sells a pepper spray foam that's jet propelled so there's not an issue of the attacker being uprange.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    I carry a Fenix PD35 and a knife along with my gun. But really, I'm of the mindset that the best less lethal option is getting the hell out as fast as possible.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Good for you guys that carry a less lethal option. I personally don't. I'm already carrying a primary, a reload, a BUG, a knife, a flashlight, and a set of cuffs. Any less lethal that's worth carrying is simply more hassle than I'm willing to put up with given the odds that I'll need it. I dislike pepper spray. When you need it to work, it'll start working after the fight's over. It's great for non-compliant suspects. It is not great for attackers.

Running away is only an option for me if my attacker is in a wheel chair. And one wheel is locked. And I run up hill. I'm pretty confident in my ability to persuade verbally, to use distractionary strikes, or to simply avoid situations where a less lethal option may be appropriate.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    Good for you guys that carry a less lethal option. I personally don't. I'm already carrying a primary, a reload, a BUG, a knife, a flashlight, and a set of cuffs. Any less lethal that's worth carrying is simply more hassle than I'm willing to put up with given the odds that I'll need it. I dislike pepper spray. When you need it to work, it'll start working after the fight's over. It's great for non-compliant suspects. It is not great for attackers.

Running away is only an option for me if my attacker is in a wheel chair. And one wheel is locked. And I run up hill. I'm pretty confident in my ability to persuade verbally, to use distractionary strikes, or to simply avoid situations where a less lethal option may be appropriate.
    I always wondered where people keep all their extra stuff they carry. I don't see fanny packs coming back in style. Between a light, knife, gun, extra mag, phone, keys and wallet I'm loaded down. Maybe they use man purses?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I always wondered where people keep all their extra stuff they carry. I don't see fanny packs coming back in style. Between a light, knife, gun, extra mag, phone, keys and wallet I'm loaded down. Maybe they use man purses?

I can't speak for everyone, but I use one of these:

TUFF Stabilizer II Cuff and Mag Ankle Carry

to carry some of it. I wear a BUG on one ankle and this on the other. I got used to it within a week and I now feel funny if I *don't* wear them. I put my cuffs and flashlight there.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I can't speak for everyone, but I use one of these:

TUFF Stabilizer II Cuff and Mag Ankle Carry

to carry some of it. I wear a BUG on one ankle and this on the other. I got used to it within a week and I now feel funny if I *don't* wear them. I put my cuffs and flashlight there.

Wow, that looks way cool. Hard to argue with EDC experience. Thanks :yesway:
    I've been haphazardly looking for something like this for some time. I see they make a similar one designed for tourniquet/med gear carry.

Top Bottom