• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Notavictim646

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    Undisclosed
    Who carries less Lethal (Mace, Pepper spray etc.)? What do you carry and how do you carry it? Any experience using it to deter someone? I was thinking there might be a time when the situation might call for something less than a firearm but that I may not want to get close enough to get beat up. You know, in the event that I should underestimate my opponent. Or overestimate my self :rolleyes:. Thoughts?

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I carry pepper spray when I'm walking my dogs. On walks, my dogs or I are more likely to be attacked by a stray dog than by a person. A moving dog would be difficult to shoot at with a gun, and there is a good possibility that I would hit one of my dogs.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Personal experience is that, while pepper spray and similar gadgets may deter the errant canine, they are too often ineffective against determined 2-legged predators.

As a civilian, there's really no need to put my hands on someone to 'control' them. The same is required from them.

JMO, but a law-abiding citizen with pepper spray, stun gun or similar gadgets squaring off against an attacker (or multiple attackers) wielding a knife, club, or ham-sized fists is on a fool's errand.

As a civilian society, we need to forget the 'schoolyard fight' mindset when we leave the schoolyards.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    At work I carry OC/CS, Taser, Baton and handgun. I have deployed my Taser 5 times and my OC once in the last 3 years. None of those situations were such that a non-LEO wouldn't simply walk away from. The couple times that I encountered someone wanting to fight it out, that is exactly what we did, without weapons. I will admit that in those instances I was not of the belief that I would lose, but had I been in danger of being over powered, some sort of weapon would have been used. When thinking about someone not acting as an arm of the .gov, if the situation cannot be walked away from, I would not want to have less than a firearm.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    At work I carry OC/CS, Jack Boots, Taser, Baton and handgun. I have deployed my Taser 5 times and my OC once in the last 3 years. None of those situations were such that a non-LEO wouldn't simply walk away from. The couple times that I encountered someone wanting to fight it out, that is exactly what we did, without weapons. I will admit that in those instances I was not of the belief that I would lose, but had I been in danger of being over powered, some sort of weapon would have been used. When thinking about someone not acting as an arm of the .gov, if the situation cannot be walked away from, I would not want to have less than a firearm.

You forgot one.

Notavictim646

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    Undisclosed
    JMO, but a law-abiding citizen with pepper spray, stun gun or similar gadgets squaring off against an attacker (or multiple attackers) wielding a knife, club, or ham-sized fists is on a fool's errand.

As a civilian society, we need to forget the 'schoolyard fight' mindset when we leave the schoolyards.

Think:

"Black brunch" protestors that grab you.

Big drunk jerk that refuses to let you walk away.

Mentally Ill Son-in law that is threatening you but does not have a weapon etc.

As was mentioned above. Assailant needs to stop, but may not need to be shot.

Relatively Ninja

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I also carry an LX2 flashlight at all times. There are many benefits to flashlights, but every time I mention it as a method of self defense I get some funny looks.

Consider the following:

• A flashlight is a ranged weapon; you may effectively employ it while staying out of the reach of the bad guy (unlike a stun gun or baton)
    • Light cannot blow back in the wind and cause collateral damage to you or your loved ones (like mace or pepper spray can)
    • Flashlights are not considered weapons, meaning you can bring them on planes or into establishments that may frown upon your pepper spray/stun gun/baton/real gun without raising any suspicion

In addition to the self defense benefits of a flashlight, I've found it extremely handy to have one on me in normal, day-to-day situations. I honestly didn't think I would use my flashlight every day, but I most definitely do.

EDC Flashlight? :yesway: :yesway:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    My FYI opinion for the day:

For those considering "stun guns," don't waste your money (and I'm not talking about actual Tasers; there is a huge difference in how they function and in efficacy).

So called "stun guns" do not stun. They produce a pain sensation that varies from a tingle to a sharp pinch. That might deter an undetermined attacker, but it's not going to stop someone who is motivated to harm you. If you don't believe me, consider testing one on yourself. I've tested them on myself on several occasions, sometimes in front of "believers." Even the super high voltage units don't hurt that bad compared to real pain like sciatica or a kidney stone. I'm a giant pu**y and I guarantee that if I were excited and had to accomplish a task, it would not stop me.

In addition, you have to hold it in contact with the person constantly for it to have even that minimal effect. In my opinion, the sparky thing when you hit the switch will probably do more psychologically to deter someone than the actual pain from being shocked with it.

Pain compliance (whether with a gizmo or super ninja techniques) is great for people who are compliant, but won't do much if someone really wants to hurt you.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    I must agree with Rhino - using a shocking device requires close contact with your aggressor. I have also seen enough guys who were not much bothered by pepper spray (interestingly mostly cops) to have little faith in its effectiveness - and the wind can carry it off target or bring it right back in YOUR face.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I also carry an LX2 flashlight at all times. There are many benefits to flashlights, but every time I mention it as a method of self defense I get some funny looks.

Consider the following:

• A flashlight is a ranged weapon; you may effectively employ it while staying out of the reach of the bad guy (unlike a stun gun or baton)
    • Light cannot blow back in the wind and cause collateral damage to you or your loved ones (like mace or pepper spray can)
    • Flashlights are not considered weapons, meaning you can bring them on planes or into establishments that may frown upon your pepper spray/stun gun/baton/real gun without raising any suspicion

In addition to the self defense benefits of a flashlight, I've found it extremely handy to have one on me in normal, day-to-day situations. I honestly didn't think I would use my flashlight every day, but I most definitely do.

EDC Flashlight? :yesway: :yesway:

:+1:

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Yep stun guns are compliance weapons meaning " put your hands behind your back or I"ll shock you again". Its a very localized pain.

I carry pepper spray whenever i carry a gun. I carry it just forward of my gun on my belt.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Think:

"Black brunch" protestors that grab you. I would just walk away unless my life was in danger.

Big drunk jerk that refuses to let you walk away. I would find a way to talk my way out of it and walk away unless my life was in danger.

Mentally Ill Son-in law that is threatening you but does not have a weapon etc. I expressed a similar concern to a trainer on here. How do I stop a person who I care about who is intent on hurting me or someone else? He suggested a big can of pepper spray. I bought some bear spray and although I have not used it on another person or another animal, I did fire it off in my truck cab because I am a moron and I can say that it took the fight right out of me for sure.

As was mentioned above. Assailant needs to stop, but may not need to be shot.

If I can walk away from it, I'm gone. If it is a loved one who has to be stopped from doing whatever they are doing, I have the big can of pepper spray.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    big_thumb_collapsible_baton_1.jpg

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    I have absolutely no interest in getting into a fight. If walking, running, or driving away is an option, that is going to be my choice. So I'm not starting a fight.

And once a fight starts, I don't want a non-lethal weapon. I want the weapon that most efficiently ends the aggressor's ability to fight: a firearm. If I'm fighting, it's because I'm fighting for my (or possibly someone else's) life. Taser, pepper spray, etc. has no role in this for me.

Before deciding to carry the type of non-lethal weapon that may convince you that fighting isn't all that bad, you may want to read up on the legal concept of mutual combat.

Notavictim646

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    Undisclosed
    We keep a couple of cans of bear spray At the ready in our home as well. I consider myself pretty even tempered and not looking to get into an unnecessary confrontation but, like the old saying goes "If the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail". I was kinda hoping to hear about options that are recommended (or not recommended) as EDC, based on the experience of others. Not necessarily whether or not I should avail myself of them. But thanks for everyones input so far.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    like the old saying goes "If the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail".

Two options: nail or I'm walking away.

Just a word of caution that one might get himself into trouble if he keeps tools for jobs he has no business getting involved in.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    We keep a couple of cans of bear spray At the ready in our home as well.

I will caution you about this. I'm not sure how Indiana law would treat it, but I know that some bear spray is considerably stronger than mace and can cause permanent injury if used on humans. It's not really "less-lethal" if it blinds them.

Top Bottom