• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Ok so as the title suggests, where can I find info as to the legality of housing and raising chickens in the city of Indianapolis?
    I've got a neighbor that moved in this past fall who has put up a chicken coupe. Generally, I don't care as the previous neighbor had chickens and were never an issue. However, this guy has a rooster that simply will not stop crowing. This damn bird crows from early morning when it's still dark all day long every day. It's really starting to bother my wife and I as well as other neighbors. But this guy just won't even talk to anyone.

I'm not stupid enough to risk it by any means. But, recently I have thought to myself if there was good backstop a well place shot from a pellet gun would do the job. Lol

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    Continually make noise complaints until it is easier to remove the problem than deal with you. If you happen to notice them having a cookout in good weather, turn them in for a loud party. It becomes who can be the most intolerable.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I believe you are allowed one rooster. Forget where I read it, may have been here.

Edit, a quick google

Well shucks, based on this story from 2016, it would appear they are allowed 1 rooster.
    I will still reach out to code enforcement (business & neighborhood services) to see what they say.

This rooster is about as bad as listening to a barking dog all day everyday.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Well shucks, based on this story from 2016, it would appear they are allowed 1 rooster.
    I will still reach out to code enforcement (business & neighborhood services) to see what they say.

This rooster is about as bad as listening to a barking dog all day everyday.
    We use to have one somewhere down the street. He only lasted a couple of years.

Learned to make it a pleasant sound compared to the people with their loud exhaust or inability to take a turn as fast as they thought and screech to a stop.

miketx

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2023
    Texas
    Ok so as the title suggests, where can I find info as to the legality of housing and raising chickens in the city of Indianapolis?
    I've got a neighbor that moved in this past fall who has put up a chicken coupe. Generally, I don't care as the previous neighbor had chickens and were never an issue. However, this guy has a rooster that simply will not stop crowing. This damn bird crows from early morning when it's still dark all day long every day. It's really starting to bother my wife and I as well as other neighbors. But this guy just won't even talk to anyone.

I'm not stupid enough to risk it by any means. But, recently I have thought to myself if there was good backstop a well place shot from a pellet gun would do the job. Lol
    My neighbor has two that the make lots of noise. I will say it's a lot less annoying than the two barking mongrels that raised hell all night. He would even leave them out when it was 20 degrees. A$$hole.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

The simplest solution is to hand your wife the pellet gun.

She'll figure something out and you'll be the hero. Totally separate from any legal spash-back...

:cool:

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    We've got three roosters. I've gotten used to them and don't really notice them crowing unless they're close by. Beats the hell out of the train 350 yards from the old house.
    Yeah at the back of my parents yard there's a set of railroad tracks probably 150 yards from the house. The good thing was I only recall hearing or seeing a train about once a week and still hardly ever have one go through there.

Part of the issue here is that not only does this rooster crow non stop, but my wife gripes about I every day. If there's no ordinance or code violations we'll just have to live with it.
    I wish a hawk or opossum could manage to get in there and take it out for me lol

Top Bottom