• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    I am looking for a good quality rechargeable LED lantern for camping and power outages. Prefer something bigger than a flashlight/backpack size. Cost is not a consideration. I am not interested in anything under the Coleman name, as I already have one of their pieces of junk (CPX6 batteries were trash).

If anyone has recommendations I would appreciate it.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    I take at least 1 Luci Light with me on every trip in addition to my head lamp. It's part of my base load and then I add various light sources from there.

I still use the original one I've had for over 8 years. It will hold a charge for a couple of days of use. On a week long trip, I just attach it to the outside of my pack to get recharged. Incredibly versatile and lightweight.

I'm trying to find an "action shot", but don't have any. In the picture below, you can see it inflated and hanging on the tree to the right. On high, it would light that area up enough you could play cards. When we car camp, we actually set it on the picnic table and use for that purpose.

oAOg9wq.jpg

Last edited:

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    Thanks guys, I appreciate the replies. I ended up going with the Streamlight Super Siege. I do not want to deal with batteries and I was strongly considering this one previously. Hope it works well.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    If you have Milwaukee batteries they have some nice lights. I use them at home when the power goes out.
    The OP already found his answer but this is what I do as well. Very pricey but worth it if you already run Milwaukee tools.

I also really like my Coleman white gas lanterns. A little bit of heat as well as light and that wonderfully soothing sound

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    The OP already found his answer but this is what I do as well. Very pricey but worth it if you already run Milwaukee tools.

I also really like my Coleman white gas lanterns. A little bit of heat as well as light and that wonderfully soothing sound
    I also like my Coleman white gas lanterns and have two I use when camping or wiener roasts. Not quite as handy as hitting a switch but I also love the sound and no problem with running batteries down in a power outage. I am also fond of the white gas stoves and have two. Jim.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I also like my Coleman white gas lanterns and have two I use when camping or wiener roasts. Not quite as handy as hitting a switch but I also love the sound and no problem with running batteries down in a power outage. I am also fond of the white gas stoves and have two. Jim.
    12 and parts of maybe 6 others(number of Coleman lanterns I have). I like tinkering/rebuilding them.

Stoves. I have every 425 model made, plus a few others like the Aluminium 442A. Maybe 20 total? I have used electrolysis to clean and help restore a few of those(12v 2amp(trickle charge),washing soda, plastic tub, water ,sacrificial electrode).

I can trouble shoot most Coleman problems if you ever have one feel free to ask.

Go to for parts.
    https://www.oldcolemanparts.com/

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    12 and parts of maybe 6 others(number of Coleman lanterns I have). I like tinkering/rebuilding them.

Stoves. I have every 425 model made, plus a few others like the Aluminium 442A. Maybe 20 total? I have used electrolysis to clean and help restore a few of those(12v 2amp(trickle charge),washing soda, plastic tub, water ,sacrificial electrode).

I can trouble shoot most Coleman problems if you ever have one feel free to ask.

Go to for parts.
    https://www.oldcolemanparts.com/
    Thanks for that link! I have a lantern that the FiL gave us. Looks like it's never been used, but the mantles are disintegrated. The warranty card is still in the box and it has a 1972 date on it. I'm assuming all the rings, leather and misc gaskets need to be replaced.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    Thanks for that link! I have a lantern that the FiL gave us. Looks like it's never been used, but the mantles are disintegrated. The warranty card is still in the box and it has a 1972 date on it. I'm assuming all the rings, leather and misc gaskets need to be replaced.
    I had to rebuild on of my stoves Coleman 413G a larger two burner from 1966, the 425E just needed cleaned. MY lanterns were about the same, one needed cleaned the other needed a new generator. Trust me the stoves and lanterns are both simple to work on or I never would have done it. Along with the "Old Coleman Parts" link above here is a link to the Coleman Collectors Forum. It is a lot like it is here, free to join and lots of people ready to help. Jim. https://www.colemancollectorsforum.com/index.php

Top Bottom