• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • climber409

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Franklin
    I have been shooting for 20years.I decided to try my handgun left handed today and after 100 rounds I am shooting as well if not better than my right.I have always been right handed. As anyone else experienced this?

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Since I was not there, I will give what I think may be the reasons.

You are left eye dominant.

You really focused on the front sight and trigger control.

The well rounded pistol shooter can shoot equally well from either side.

Congratulations.

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    I try and train using both hands. I will not say I am as good with my left but I can hit minute of bad guy just fine. I try and shoot at least a third of my shots with my off hand. The time to learn how to shoot with your off hand is not in a real firefight.
    Train often and train with both hands.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I'm not very handed; I try to practice both ways just so I have the order of arms, but I am extremely left eye dominant, to the extent that I shoot everything left handed by default. It happens.

msd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Princeton
    I'm left handed, but I do everything but eat and write with my right hand.
    I shoot right handed. A few yrs ago my cousing had me try shooting left handed. I actually shoot better, but it's very awkward, esp with a rifle.
    Awkward enough to be uncomfortable with a rifle.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I am left-eye dominant. I grew up shooting handguns right-handed, but it always felt "wrong." I tried out my left hand once upon a time, and after just a few magazines it felt "right" and I became just as good with my left VERY quickly.

I can't shoot a rifle worth a damn right-handed, at all. My eyes just don't want to adapt that way, but I do try. As futile is it always ends up being.

climber409

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Franklin
    I am left eye dominant that must be the reason. Now all I have to do is learn how to holster the gun.Sounds like alot more range time.(bummer) :laugh: The rifle stays in the right hand although.

jajwrigh

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Morgan County
    I am right handed and I started practicing left handed earlier this year. I think it is a good idea since you never know what kind of a self defense situation that you may up in. I actually surprised myself and shot pretty well after a few sessions.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    I realized I was cross dominant years ago when I got into photography, most cameras are set up for the right eye, but I used my left. I found I shot rifle better left handed, I still shoot handguns with my right, but use left eye to sight, I throw right, shoot pool left, and kick left footed......but my wife says I am always trying to be right....LOL...it also sucks for all the old neat bolt action rifles are ....right handed!!

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Way back in the dark ages I started shooting IPSC competition. Most matches will require the shooter to shoot with their weak hand at some point. Although over time I learned to hit (but not as fast) with my left hand I could never get used to how differently a gun recoils when fired weak hand. It climbs and goes off to the left and I have never felt this action shooting strong hand. It has always felt as if you've never fired a major power handgun before. I was shown some "tricks" to help control it weak hand but it still feels .......weird. Anybody notice this?

Top Bottom