• ...and so much more!
  • Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Don't ever let some expert tell you that all wheel weight is zinc or steel. Or you can't find lead anymore. It takes some effort and putting the word out but it's out there.
    This is just from over winter. Time to make some ingots. Probably over a thousand pounds in ingots stacked in my garage already from last year. Wish I had time to cast. The weather is perfect. IMG_20220522_155702728_HDR.jpg

canebreaker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2020
    Horn Lake
    I carried a load of mixed metal to the scrapyard last month. Collected my money then checked at the small metals building. Do you have any lead? Just that 1 bucket by the scale. I see wheel weights. I sat the bucket on the scale, 85 lbs. Went back to the cashier, 10 cents per lb. Back my truck to the scale, loaded it and went home.
    At home a bring 4 buckets to the truck. One for good alloy weights, one for pure lead, one for steel, zinc, scrap metals and one for brass. Most was easy to separate listening to the ring when hitting together. Most of the zinc had ZN on them. Dropped a few on the concrete to be sure. The bottom 4th of the bucket was spent bullets. I pulled some of the copper jackets out. Found a 22LR and 2 9mm rounds. Built a fire in the pit that evening and cast ingots from the alloy weights and spent bullets. Got 41 one pound ingots. I saved the pure lead for later. The steel, zinc, brass and copper will go back to the scrapyard on my next visit.

My oldest grandson graduated in 2018, he was on the high school ROTC rifle team. I built 5 target traps, 3 position, 2 targets per position for the range room his 10th grade year. The wood was free, got the metal from the scrapyard. Had the high school vo-tech students cut and shape it. I get a call to clean up every year or 2. I got a call 2 weeks before school is out this year. Be here Thursday at noon to clean the range rooms. One room has my traps and the other room has target boxes mounted on a steel frame with kevlar mat backing. I start at the doors sweeping toward the targets and dumped the targets. I sat the buckets on their bathroom scales, 47 and 53 pounds. These are .177 pellets, some are lead and some are a lead/tin mix. Got a lot of student hair, trash and dust too. I melted the 47 lb bucket, got 42 ingots plus a little left in the pot that my ladle couldn't scoop. They are bright/shiny, I know they have lots of tin in them.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Ended up w about 300 lbs of ingots already alloyed. And I dont shoot lead or have a hardness tester.

Do shoot pure lead in MZ, but only hunting so 100 maxi hunters last me til i keel over

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Ended up w about 300 lbs of ingots already alloyed. And I dont shoot lead or have a hardness tester.

Do shoot pure lead in MZ, but only hunting so 100 maxi hunters last me til i keel over
    Find a shooter buddy that casts and make his day. If your around Fort Wayne, I would trade some of my pure leaf for some alloy. I have a bunch. Like you I also cast for my muzzleloader and I am heavy on pure lead.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Sure could use a source in the Indy area. I don't do a massive amount of casting but I'm wanting to do round balls for the musket soon...

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Sure could use a source in the Indy area. I don't do a massive amount of casting but I'm wanting to do round balls for the musket soon...

Don't know what size you want, but store bought round balls are pretty good.

Top Bottom