• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sidewinder27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    Plainfield
    Went looking at revolvers today. I cant make up my mind between the Ruger LCR and the Smith and Wesson Bodyguard 38+p. Looking for your guys thoughts on these two guns or possibly other suggestion. I did a search for both and didnt find anything.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I have a Smith 642 and love it. Trigger is awesome! Very accurate for a small gun. Sorry, haven't tried a LCP. Which ever one you choose, be sure to try different ammo weights. The usual .38 weight rounds make those size guns a handful.

sidewinder27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    Plainfield
    I was talking to a guy who was in there looking at guns also. He said that he shot a friend of his LCR it handled the recoil very well. He said he was thinking that with the polyimer frame that it would be a handful to.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I've owned an LCR and shot a Bodyguard. My LCR snapped a return spring within a couple hundred rounds and had to be sent back to Ruger. I just couldn't trust it, so I got rid of it. The Bodyguard I fired did very well in accuracy and handling, although the manipulations of the laser leave much to be desired.

Frankly, I think there are better choices in j-framed sized 38/357. The M&P340 tops the list, but not everyone has 700 bones laying around to get one. 442/642 are good for light revolvers. If weight and pocket carry is not on issue, the all steel Model 60 will fit the need nicely. Whatever choice, leave plenty of funds for ammo as excellent handling and shooting of the j-frames will require a lot of practice.:twocents:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I too had chose between a BG and an LCR...I chose the BG and I like it. But I could have just as easily went with the Ruger--finally decided on the BG because I already had a S&W so I went with what was familiar, I guess--plus it came with a laser. It's a nice feature except it isn't as easily activated as a grip type.

If you're used to larger framed revolvers, you will notice more snap in the recoil with the BG. As SBCman said, the smaller revolvers are quite a bit more difficult to get proficient with. I'm still not where I'd like to be (accuracy wise)....FWIW.

markiemark

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 21, 2011
    Liberty, IN
    I have heard many good things about the LCR not to mention that Ruger makes some good quality firearms. There seems to be a good amount of accessories for it as well.

LuckyGunner

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    I've shot both and in terms of shoot-ability and fit they are virtually the same. The deal breaker for me is that you get the included laser with the S&W. The caveat to that is the placement of the laser on/off button. If you are willing to practice you should be able to get used to where it is. I was having a bit of trouble with it though.

Of course is there a valid point that you won't need a laser on a snub revolver, since you are shooting from such short distances. I like them on a carry gun simply because there is an intimidation factor to lasers.

Both are good guns.

Indysioux

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Carmel IN
    I went with the LCR with the Crimson Trace option. I liked that it was lighter than the BG. The laser switch is part of the grip, so it is easy to activate. I did have to sight in the laser, but overall I have been very happy with the LCR.

Six Forty-Two

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    W. Lafayette
    I have both the S&W BG and the S&W 642.

I haven't had the BG very long. Still getting used to it. I bought it for the laser. For the price, I had trouble finding a laser on a gun I liked. One drawback of the BG is the inability to change the grips.

I have thin wood grips to put on the 642 when I carry. If I want more recoil absorbancy, I can switch to my Hogue Monogrips. I usually leave on the wood grips when I practice since that is how I would most likely have it if I needed it in self-defense.

I have never fired the LCR, but when I held it and dry fired, I just didn't like the way it felt in my hand.

The weight difference isn't significant between the lightweight ones that have been mentioned so far. I weigh over 225 lbs. so the difference of a 1 or 2 ounces inside my waistband isn't noticable.

Top Bottom