Laws regarding storing out of sight in car while parked on college campus?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SeraphAnathema

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Is it legal to have your gun inside your glove compartment or whatnot while you are parked on a college campus, given that it is a state-funded university?

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    It is not illegal to have a gun on campus. You can carry it on your person, if you like. School policy =/= law.

So, yes. It is perfectly legal, whether visible or not.

While the above is true, it should be noted that if you are an employee or a student of said university, you can be terminated or expelled for doing so, if the university has a no gun policy.

CapBuster49

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    With some Freaks
    Conceal or hide it well unless you want a smash and grab. I carried at BSU all the time, but made darn sure it was absolutely concealed. One call to 911, and you'll have trigger happy campus police up your butt/

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Trigger happy? I don't think I have ever heard of IUPD shooting any of the students that got outed yet. I guess we could ask some of the INGO resident IUPD officers though

Carry or store it, you're choice, it's legal. If you conceal it right, then you probably have less chance of ever getting outed, than needing it, so carry on.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    Just remember, there are loopholes everywhere. I had a SOG seal knife in the armrest of my girlfriends car, she parked in a handicapped spot, they towed it, said the knife was not legal to have on campus, and refused to give it back.

SeraphAnathema

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    What about this, then?

Straight from the Indiana Code:

Indiana Code 35-47-9

IC 35-47-9
    Chapter 9. Possession of Firearms on School Property and School Buses

IC 35-47-9-0.1
    Repealed
    (Repealed by P.L.63-2012, SEC.78.)

IC 35-47-9-1
    Exemptions from chapter
    Sec. 1. This chapter does not apply to the following:
    (1) A:
    (A) federal;
    (B) state; or
    (C) local;
    law enforcement officer.
    (2) A person who has been employed or authorized by:
    (A) a school; or
    (B) another person who owns or operates property being used by a school for a school function;
    to act as a security guard, perform or participate in a school function, or participate in any other activity authorized by a school.
    (3) A person who:
    (A) may legally possess a firearm; and
    (B) possesses the firearm in a motor vehicle that is being operated by the person to transport another person to or from a school or a school function.
    As added by P.L.140-1994, SEC.11.
    IC 35-47-9-2
    Possession of firearms on school property, at school function, or on school bus; felony
    Sec. 2. A person who possesses a firearm:
    (1) in or on school property;
    (2) in or on property that is being used by a school for a school function; or
    (3) on a school bus;
    commits a Class D felony.

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    College is not a "school" in the terms of that IC, Only K-12, preschools, daycares, ect are considers "schools"

Smokepole

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    Southern Hamilton County
    What about this, then?

Straight from the Indiana Code:

Indiana Code 35-47-9

IC 35-47-9
    Chapter 9. Possession of Firearms on School Property and School Buses

IC 35-47-9-0.1
    Repealed
    (Repealed by P.L.63-2012, SEC.78.)

IC 35-47-9-1
    Exemptions from chapter
    Sec. 1. This chapter does not apply to the following:
    (1) A:
    (A) federal;
    (B) state; or
    (C) local;
    law enforcement officer.
    (2) A person who has been employed or authorized by:
    (A) a school; or
    (B) another person who owns or operates property being used by a school for a school function;
    to act as a security guard, perform or participate in a school function, or participate in any other activity authorized by a school.
    (3) A person who:
    (A) may legally possess a firearm; and
    (B) possesses the firearm in a motor vehicle that is being operated by the person to transport another person to or from a school or a school function.
    IC 35-47-9-2
    Possession of firearms on school property, at school function, or on school bus; felony
    (3) on a school bus;

A college is not considered a "School" for the purposes of the statute that you cited. Only K-12, preschool etc. You might want to take a look at the student handbook for your particular University and check the penalty for getting caught carrying on campus.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    I'll reiterate since many have claimed that a college or university is not a "school". Please state from where this information came, or the IC code that states colleges or universities are not classified as schools, or where the IC specifically states schools are only K - 12.

I've asked before, but never received any definitive information. Just obscure references or rhetorical comments such as "prove that they are".

Doesn't work that way. It's up to those claiming colleges and universities are not to validate and verify their claim. I've been unable to find such a specific citation.

But, I'm certainly willing to have someone verify it! :yesway:

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    I'll reiterate since many have claimed that a college or university is not a "school". Please state from where this information came, or the IC code that states colleges or universities are not classified as schools, or where the IC specifically states schools are only K - 12.

I've asked before, but never received any definitive information. Just obscure references or rhetorical comments such as "prove that they are".

Doesn't work that way. It's up to those claiming colleges and universities are not to validate and verify their claim. I've been unable to find such a specific citation.

But, I'm certainly willing to have someone verify it! :yesway:

Ok I will reiterate what is in the INGO FAQ (WHat!?! INGO has FAQ?!?!)and written in the IC. :D
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...discussion/16185-ingunowners_faqs_sticky.html

IC 35-47-9-2
    (3) on a school bus;

IC 35-41-1-24.7
    "School property" defined
    Sec. 24.7. "School property" means the following:
    (1) A building or other structure owned or rented by:
    (A) a school corporation;
    (B) an entity that is required to be licensed under IC 12-17.2 or IC 31-27;
    (C) a private school that is not supported and maintained by funds realized from the imposition of a tax on property, income, or sales; or
    (D) a federal, state, local, or nonprofit program or service operated to serve, assist, or otherwise benefit children who are at least three (3) years of age and not yet enrolled in kindergarten, including the following:
    (i) A Head Start program under 42 U.S.C. 9831 et seq.
    (ii) A special education preschool program.
    (iii) A developmental child care program for preschool children.
    (2) The grounds adjacent to and owned or rented in common with a building or other structure described in subdivision (1).

IC 20-18-2-16
    "School corporation"
    Sec. 16. (a) "School corporation", for purposes of this title (except IC 20-20-33, IC 20-26-1 through IC 20-26-5, IC 20-26-7, IC 20-30-8, and IC 20-43), means a public school corporation established by Indiana law. The term includes a:
    (1) school city;
    (2) school town;
    (3) school township;
    (4) consolidated school corporation;
    (5) metropolitan school district;
    (6) township school corporation;
    (7) county school corporation;
    (8) united school corporation; or
    (9) community school corporation.
    (b) "School corporation", for purposes of IC 20-26-1 through IC 20-26-5 and IC 20-26-7, has the meaning set forth in IC 20-26-2-4.
    (c) "School corporation", for purposes of IC 20-20-33 and IC 20-30-8, includes a charter school (as defined in IC 20-24-1-4).
    (d) "School corporation", for purposes of IC 20-43, has the meaning set forth in IC 20-43-1-23.

Burden is on the defense now. Can we put this to rest now?

SeraphAnathema

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    From the Indiana code:

"IC 35-41-1-24.7
    Repealed
    (Repealed by P.L.114-2012, SEC.127.)"

I was able to find the relocated definition, yet it appears to be exactly identical to the old one.

IC 35-31.5-2-285
    "School property"
    Sec. 285. "School property" means the following:
    (C) a private school that is not supported and maintained by funds realized from the imposition of a tax on property, income, or sales; or
    (D) a federal, state, local, or nonprofit program or service operated to serve, assist, or otherwise benefit children who are at least three (3) years of age and not yet enrolled in kindergarten, including the following:
    (2) The grounds adjacent to and owned or rented in common with a building or other structure described in subdivision (1).
    As added by P.L.114-2012, SEC.67.

Last edited:

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    From the Indiana code:

"IC 35-41-1-24.7
    Repealed
    (Repealed by P.L.114-2012, SEC.127.)"

I was able to find the new definition, however:

IC 35-31.5-2-285
    "School property"
    Sec. 285. "School property" means the following:
    As added by P.L.114-2012, SEC.67.

Looks like INGO needs to update it's FAQ (What INGO has a FAQ?!?) :ingo:

And just to clear any further confusion:
    IC 20-18-2-2.5
    "Charter school"
    Sec. 2.5. "Charter school" has the meaning set forth in IC 20-24-1-4.
    As added by P.L.2-2006, SEC.74.

IC 20-18-2-3
    "Department"
    Sec. 3. "Department" refers to the department of education established by IC 20-19-3-1.
    As added by P.L.1-2005, SEC.2.

<A name=IC20-18-2-4>IC 20-18-2-4

"Elementary school"
    Sec. 4. "Elementary school" means any combination of kindergarten and grades 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, or 8.

IC 20-18-2-7
    "High school"
    Sec. 7. "High school" means any combination of grades 9, 10, 11, or 12.

IC 20-18-2-12
    "Nonpublic school"
    Sec. 12. (a) "Nonpublic school" means a school that is not maintained by a school corporation.
    (b) The term includes a private school or parochial school.

IC 20-18-2-15
    "Public school"
    Sec. 15. "Public school":
    (1) for purposes of this title (other than IC 20-33-1), means a school maintained by a school corporation; and
    (2) for purposes of IC 20-33-1, means:
    (A) a school maintained by a school corporation; or
    (B) a preschool, an elementary school, or a high school maintained by a state educational institution under IC 20-24.5 or another law.
    As added by P.L.1-2005, SEC.2. Amended by P.L.2-2007, SEC.198.

<A name=IC20-18-2-16>IC 20-18-2-16

"School corporation"
    Sec. 16. (a) "School corporation", for purposes of this title (except IC 20-20-33, IC 20-26-1 through IC 20-26-5, IC 20-26-7, IC 20-28-11.5, IC 20-30-8, and IC 20-43), means a public school corporation established by Indiana law. The term includes a:
    (1) school city;
    (2) school town;
    (3) school township;
    (4) consolidated school corporation;
    (5) metropolitan school district;
    (6) township school corporation;
    (7) county school corporation;
    (8) united school corporation; or
    (9) community school corporation.
    (b) "School corporation", for purposes of IC 20-26-1 through IC 20-26-5 and IC 20-26-7, has the meaning set forth in IC 20-26-2-4.
    (c) "School corporation", for purposes of IC 20-20-33 and IC 20-30-8, includes a charter school (as defined in IC 20-24-1-4).
    (d) "School corporation", for purposes of IC 20-43, has the meaning set forth in IC 20-43-1-23.
    (e) "School corporation", for purposes of IC 20-28-11.5, has the meaning set forth in IC 20-28-11.5-3.
    As added by P.L.1-2005, SEC.2. Amended by P.L.2-2006, SEC.77; P.L.90-2011, SEC.3; P.L.6-2012, SEC.123.

IC 20-18-2-18
    "Secondary school"
    Sec. 18. "Secondary school" means a high school.

SeraphAnathema

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Still, the IC doesn't seem like it wants to be very strong on the issue, does it? You'd think they would anticipate this confusion and state flat-out that universities are an exception.

Top Bottom