• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sgood

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2011
    West Newton
    Except when a driver has a delivery or pickup in a state which doesn't recognize the drivers LTCH. For instance if the driver had a pickup/delivery in NY, he would he would not be protected under the interstate transport law. Because that is his destination and he is not just passing through. And that possibly includes even stopping for a rest period.

The peacable journey law it self covers that and again wih the last sentence it would violate the law of the state in witch he is passing wether passing or stopping.......

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    OK, let's recap what you said:

I believe what it is saying….a CDL driver may carry a gun in the truck with him or her, PROVIDING that it does not violate any other STATE law, in which the driver will be passing through.

It looks to me like you are saying in the bolded section above that:

IF a state law makes it illegal to carry a certain firearm then "18 USC 926(a) - interstate transportation of firearms" would not protect you even if you were legal at both your origin & destination.

Wow....did I say something other than exactly that.......that would still be in the truck if you are talking about a semi ie...bunk area as long as it is not reachable and unloaded.......and the last sentemce states unless it violates the law of witch he is passing.....such as unloading and packing if the state does not recognize his ltc.....

Didn't realize I needed to spell it out the long way!!!

I just don't get what you are trying to say.

You say you are agreeing with me but then I see "and the last sentemce states unless it violates the law of witch he is passing....." which seems to contradict what I'm saying the law allows & if true would invalidate the express purpose of the law in the first place. :dunno:

The peacable journey law it self covers that and again wih the last sentence it would violate the law of the state in witch he is passing wether passing or stopping.......

:n00b:

Since I can't figure out what you are trying to say by continuing to just repeat that last sentence above let's do this...

Do you agree with this statement or not?:

It is legal for an Indiana truck driver to carry a handgun through NJ (which bans all unregistered handguns, requires a permit to even buy a handgun or possess it even on one's own property & does not recognize Indiana's LTCH) to his destination in VT (which recognizes IN's LTCH) as long as he had the gun unloaded & either locked in a case or in an inaccessible area outside the passenger compartment as he was traveling through NJ.

Would it matter what the states laws were that the driver passed through?

Sgood

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2011
    West Newton
    not as long as it was locked in a box/safe or other lockable box not accesible to the driver.

Sorry if my wording confused you but didn't think I had to write a whole paragragh to say in my own words what I had copy and pasted. Next time I will make sure to do so for the lawyers on the board.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    what does the law say about carrying a firearm in a commercial vehicle. I have heard it is illegal and im pretty sure it is, but i cant find a place to explain the law concerning truck drivers.

I owned a truck fleet before I retired.

It is LEGAL to to carry a gun in the cab of a commercial vehicle SUBJECT TO STATE LAWS.

So as long as you follow the STATE LAWS of EACH STATE you are driving through and comply with those laws then you are fine.

Having MULTIPLE state carry licenses, like Indiana, Florida and Utah will make it easier to comply with state laws because if you have those licenses you won't have to unload and lock the gun in many of the states you transit. But your best bet is to look up the transport and carry laws for each state before you enter to make sure you understand how to comply.

Big House

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    thanks to everyone for the facts concerning my question. i only drive in indiana and michigan so it looks like im ok to carry.

ralphb72

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    Greens Fork, IN
    Andy, I would never carry large amounts of cash without carrying my handgun, and maybe even a shotgun also. Welcome to INGO. You will hear a lot of people saying that your life is more important than your job. You have to make your own choices on that, but I think I would carry concealed wherever it is NOT illegal for me to do so if I had a job like that.

Welcome to INGO again, there are some very knowledgeable people around here!

andy2720

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2011
    Morgan County
    Thanks, but thats a big ordeal where I work. And with carrying alcohol money and a firearm they said it just wont mix. There has been several drivers that have and have been let go for it.

furbymac

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    noblesville
    hmmmm what if said semi is my home. then all laws go out the window, right? as i am allowed to own a fire arm in my own home, right?

Flyguy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rural Franklin
    hmmmm what if said semi is my home. then all laws go out the window, right? as i am allowed to own a fire arm in my own home, right?

I don't think so. Just because you are living in it doesn't make it your home. It is still a motor vehicle.

Sleeping in the back seat of your car dosn't make it your home.:twocents:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008

You are flirting with legal disaster.

It is legal to transport firearms across state lines but you have to follow the various state laws about transport: various case requirements; various loaded/unloaded requirements, etc.

Best bet is to get an Indiana and either a Florida or Utah non-resident license for handgun. KNOW the state laws of each state you drive into. Realize that you may -or may not- be able to have a loaded gun while driving but you may be able to have a loaded gun while parked in a truck stop, but that will vary by state. Realize that laws will also vary between long arm and hand gun.

Cowboy 44

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2011
    i carry mine both in my big truck and my personal pickup...there is no law saying you cant, possibly another state law or company policy

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    i carry mine both in my big truck and my personal pickup...there is no law saying you cant, possibly another state law or company policy

Actually there are a lot of laws that say what you can and can not do and they vary by State. There is no Federal law. But each State has its own laws. So while it is legal to transport arms across state lines there are many laws that dictate if the gun can be loaded, or if it must be unloaded, or if it must be locked, etc.

Cowboy 44

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2011
    im a local driver and do not leave the state, i know there is different laws otr drivers will have to obide by.

what is kentuckys stand on the issue? there is pages upon pages of reading and its still hard to get a stright answer?

Top Bottom