• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I was in 3rd grade. We had a TV on a cart that was brought out into the area in the middle of some classrooms that we were watching. It got real quiet when it exploded.
    4th grade and the same. With the teacher on board there was a big thing in the elementary schools and the grades all had a TV playing it live.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    I'd been visiting customers (horticulture industry) in Bloomington, and had gone to the mall on 3rd St for lunch. The explosion had just happened, and there was a TV replaying the event.
    I remember feeling sickened, and couldn't eat. So, I left and went to visit a friend who owned Bear's Place, on the south side of Bloomington. So very sad.

ancjr

1 Kings 18:17-18 KJV
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    Was 3rd grade for me. Some of us returned a little early from lunch and our teacher tearfully told us that when the entire class arrived, she had an announcement to make.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    Sophomore in high school. I was taking a makeup test in the teacher's lounge and the TV was on. I'm glad it was. I saw the launch from it's start to it's unfortunate ending. It's something I'll never forget, just like 9/11.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    One of those events you remember where you were when you heard the news.
    I certainly do. I was a a sophomore in high school. We had staggered lunch times and I was walking in a hall during lunch when other classes were going on. One class was watching the launch and as I was walking by, I heard all kinds of weird commotion in a classroom, so I stuck my head in to see what was going on. The shuttle had just blown up.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    I was in 3rd grade. We had a TV on a cart that was brought out into the area in the middle of some classrooms that we were watching. It got real quiet when it exploded.
    We must be close to the same age. They wheeled the tv out to the gym for us to watch. That was a pretty somber day.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I wonder if they plan to recover it and put it in the secret bunker next to Apollo 1 and Columbia and the rest of the debris.

There are pictures floating around of the recovered debris laid out in a hanger. A lot more of Challenger was recovered but it came apart at very high altitude over a very large area of water. Theres a lot of mass never recovered.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    … the mall on 3rd St for lunch. …Bear's Place, on the south side of Bloomington.
    I spent a lot of time in both those places.

I was a first lieutenant at Tinker Air Force Base sitting at my desk assigning people to go on deployments to Elf-One in Riyadh for the next few months when somebody stuck their head in the door and said the Challenger had blown up. Several of us got together and went over to the officers club and watched the replays on the television there.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I was working at TGI Fridays and the kitchen manager came back and told us what had happened. We kept going out to the bar to watch the replays and coverage.

Top Bottom