Laid-off computer guy looking for work...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    If you hadn't been caught with drugs (ever) this probably wouldn't be a problem. The only person you have to blame is yourself. Ya it sucks they have your record wrong but you should have never gotten yourself into that mess in the first place. We all make mistakes and I know you are trying to do the right thing but you got yourself into this and now you have to get yourself out. It's no ones fault but your own.

:wow:

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I've heard there are a lot of jobs for truck drivers. My father in law is always looking for drivers for his company. It's tough down here finding folks with Toyota so close.

Good luck.

What does toyota have to do with anything?

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    When Toyota Moved into Gibson County, It took people away from alot of places. It also was too hard to get on there for most people in the area. When they first opened up, if you had so much as a speeding ticket you couldn't work there. If you failed a HAIR FOLICLE TEST you couldn't work there. I know because I grew up 15 minutes from where they built their plant. They bought out a popcorn farm to build the plant. From what I heard when we moved to Indy, they had to IMPORT workers from overseas to fill in the open positions because they couldn't fill the LOW LEVEL JOBS. But the top level jobs were filled by Ex-PSI Energy employee's and the like. It was totally crazy. Keep in mind I was 13-15 when all this went down.

RogerB

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2008
    New Palestine
    FWIW I heard CVS in Indy is hiring CDL licensed drivers. Unfortunately I do not have any contact info for this. If your interested you can try going through their website for employment application etc.

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I don't know if you could work for the state or not but.....

State of Indiana Job Fair today

SPD: State of Indiana Job Fair

October 15, 2008
    10 a.m. - 2 p.m.
    Indiana Government Center South
    302 W. Washington St.
    Indianapolis
    Pre-register for this exciting event here
    (Note: Reference Job ID 559243)
    Are you looking to begin your career or advance your career in a dynamic and energized environment? If the answer is yes, then we invite you to explore all the opportunities within state government. A career with the state of Indiana offers stimulating and challenging work. The state offers competitive pay and a competitive pay and a comprehensive benefits package including accrued vacation, sick and personal leave, health and life insurance, retirement plans and more!
    We invite you to see all that the state of Indiana has to offer!
    The state of Indiana has many agencies that offer positions in just about every career field.
    These are just a few:

• Administrative Support
    • Agriculture
    • Architecture
    • Engineering
    • Environmental Management
    • Health Care
    • Human Resources
    • Information Technology
    • Law Enforcement
    • Public Safety
    • Social Services
    • Transportation
    View current openings with the state

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Court and arrest records can be corrected if the proper procedures are followed. It's very possible that additional charges were filed while you were in the jail and they served the papers (arrested you on paper) while you were sitting in your cell. I know that jail time is hazy to say the least. That would account for you not remembering an outright arrest. Is the error on your criminal history?

If the court shows a conviction that does not exist then the court will correct the problem. If its an arrest then the arresting agency will need to follow up. If its a clerical error while you were at the jail then the Sheriff's dept needs to correct it. Get a folder, place your criminal history in that folder, get organized, and you may need to seek some legal advice. I'm sure that Hendricks County has legal aid. Depending on your age, status of the crime, you may be able to have your criminal record expunged.

Fenway told you like it is, you effed up and only you can fix it. Unfortunately, the Court Staff and Sheriff's Dept make clerical errors but if approached correctly maybe these errors can be corrected. Believe me, if you act like an ******* they will not fix them even if they are wrong.

Job hunting, network with friends and see what is available. Flipping burgers is better than crying in your beer with no job. Its always easier to find a job when you have one and I'm not sure that the armed forces are for you, they are not for everybody.

Man up, tough it out and remember it's the situation that makes the man and life is an everyday adversity. My motto is Desire, Dedication and Determination. With those three you will succeed

Good Luck :patriot:

Isolate and Identify the problem, then take the necessary steps to correct the problem. You must be patient and work with the agency where you feel the problem exists. Court records are public information and the court staff can help you if you treat them fairly. But remember, it may very well be an arrest while you were already incarcerated and may not be able to be removed. There are solutions and workarounds but you must be responsible and solve them yourself.

Last edited:

slacker

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapols, IN
    Amazon.com is looking for IT support techs for their plainfield location.

A few other options
    -Costco: $10 an hour
    -Amazon "warehouse associate" $11.50 (+$1/hr for nights)
    Whitecastle: I hear they pay really well
    Fed-EX: ~$11/hr

Check Craig's list, I think the support tech job for Amazon is listed there. And I know the warehouse jobs are advertised on the radio all the time.

epsylum

What's going on up here?
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Amazon.com is looking for IT support techs for their plainfield location.

A few other options
    -Costco: $10 an hour
    -Amazon "warehouse associate" $11.50 (+$1/hr for nights)
    Whitecastle: I hear they pay really well
    Fed-EX: ~$11/hr

Check Craig's list, I think the support tech job for Amazon is listed there. And I know the warehouse jobs are advertised on the radio all the time.

Good one on the Amazon one. I never even thought of that.

BTW there is an Amazon building of some sort near Whitestown. Anyone know what exactly it is (I stumbled across it trying to find an alternate route home because of a crash on I-65)?

slacker

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapols, IN
    Yeah, I actually work IT at the Whitestown facility.

Its a fulfillment center, basically a big warehouse filled with cool stuff that gets shipped out to the customers. they have about 2300 employees for the peak season and it drops down to about ~1100 after peak (Christmas) I believe.

Its a really cool place to work. I am IT so I don't have alot of hands on experience with the people out on the floor (receiving, picking, packing, shipping etc.), but everyone seems happy, and all the managers I have met are really nice.

If you are just looking for something for now they have a hiring firm on site (Integrity staffing) and they do "on the spot" interviews everyday. There is usually a line of people by their office by about 8:00am.

The location is exit 133 off 65 north, take a right, and keep to the right, and you will see Amazon on the right.

-Zac

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Hey guys, I appreciate the leads. I'm checking out amazon now. Also thinking about applying to work for the state and find out if they have training programs for heavy machinery.

I applied at FedEx. Talk about a bunch of BS just to get a job, but I did it. After hours of searching through all my records to find my all my stuff, I finally got through and applied. They said they'd call me for an interview a week ago. I've called twice to no avail.

Went to Employment Plus today and filled out an app. Although I'm not sure they'll have anything for me because I'm not latino. LOL not one person that came in or worked there was white or black or indian or anything! They seemed shocked I was there, but we'll see Monday when they call. If they call.

Checked out Red Robin as was slightly suggested. They weren't hiring. Subway may call me tomorrow. Also USA trucking called while I was gone this afternoon so I have to call them back tomorrow. I'd really rather get into trucking or driving SOMETHING but I'll take ANYTHING at this point. Even a two day a week job getting paid 6 bucks an hour or less like working at ECPR or something.

Again I appreciate the leads.

slacker

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapols, IN
    The IT hiring for Amazon is done by Amazon.com, Integrity only staffs the temporary (seasonal) workers for the warehouse.

I went through 5 Interviews over the course of a month to get my job, the two new Jr. techs that started at the same time as me came from the floor. Amazon is big on internal hiring, and constant self improvement.

So if you start in the warehouse there are alot of opportunities to move up and into other positions.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Starting at the bottom and working my way up wouldn't be so bad. Warehouse work is pretty straightforward and working for amazon I'm sure would be pretty easy compared to other places.

Just glad they have a place here in Plainfield!

Unfortunately amazon shows nothing for Indiana except Whitestown. But I'm far from qualifying for ICQA Operations Manager, Whitestown !!! LOL Oh well. I'll see what I can find with Integrity.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom