• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Regardless of what that "news" article called it, that was a remote controlled helicopter, not a military drone. I could hit that with a slingshot.

If the Afghanies haven't managed to shoot them all down, then I doubt "we" will do any better.

The Iranians brought one down with a hacker (assuming that it wasn't a gift from the Kenyan) and we have better hackers!

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    The Iranians brought one down with a hacker (assuming that it wasn't a gift from the Kenyan) and we have better hackers!

That turd was a model. They probably made it out of paper mache and coat hangers, from a drawing they saw in Jane's.

You can jam one (very difficult), but hacking one well enough to land it intact is just north of damn near impossible.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Drones are easy to jam . :) Even with the GPS beacon on them .

Maybe little short wave drones. The big satellite drones would require a large RF source quite near the aircraft, operating on LOTS of different frequencies. I think we'd notice something like that.

You can attempt to hack it, if your computer is smart enough to modulate frequency at the same rate and pattern as the host signal AND you have the capability to breach the software.

Possible? Yes. Likely? No.

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    You folks are really limiting your potential "resources".

Say your item of interest is at 3k, 5k, 7k feet.

The platforms, the knowledge and the resources are quite available to put your armament on the same footing as the item of discussion.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    You folks are really limiting your potential "resources".

Say your item of interest is at 3k, 5k, 7k feet.

The platforms, the knowledge and the resources are quite available to put your armament on the same footing as the item of discussion.

Joy_Ride_hot_air_balloon.jpg

KoopaKGB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    South Bend
    I can't find it now, but I've heard this happened once already! I'll have to work on my bow skills since I'm in city limits, but I wouldn't hesitate! The airspace above your home is also yours! I'd murder a drone first chance!

The airspace above your home to the extent that you can utilize it is yours. Unless you're getting all the permits required to build a 200 foot tower in your back yard you can't use this argument.

Top Bottom