• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Night hunting is a lot of fun, but the danger increases when you can't see. I've night hunted quite a few years, and it can be difficult to identify targets especially when you have "coyote fever". Top quality gear is very helpful, but, sometimes, you're still not certain. When you're not 100% certain, the only option is to not fire. If not, this happens...

Be careful out there.

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    Story is a little vague. I read earlier that they didn’t know where the shots came from. The odds of 2 people being hit seems high. This story you posted says no other individuals where found in the area so something doesn’t quite add up?

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    If I'm filling in the blanks to try to make sense of it...

The other "hunters" probably didn't have permission to hunt, so they had no idea there were hunters already there. The "hunters" probably had junk thermal scopes. They heard coyotes, scanned the area, and saw two objects which were the two hunters sitting down, calling coyotes.

Again, this is all pure speculation on my part, but it makes sense to me. Believe me, it can be easy to mistake another animal for a coyote when you have adrenaline combined with limited ability to see. Adding to the difficulty is the fact that judging distance is almost impossible. Another major downside is that thermal picture is very degraded with higher humidity, everything looks "muddy". There have been many times I've been positive it was a coyote at 300 yards and finally figure out it's an owl at 60 yards and I'm using high end equipment. That's why I hold fire until I'm certain.

Again, all speculation and anyone can feel free to disagree. I'm just going off my experiences.

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    Wouldn’t a thermal scope identify the light you are supposed to have glowing when hunting? Or is that not a hunting reg anymore. It sucks either way and I understand the rush that we get skews our judgement sometimes. Comes back to your title, “ know your target”!

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Still speculation on my part, but a little more information to "fill in the blanks"...

Anybody can get into the thermal game for under $1,000. For example...

The problem is the core is 160x120. This means the picture is absolute trash. Personally, I won't recommend below a 384 core and will push someone towards a 640.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Wouldn’t a thermal scope identify the light you are supposed to have glowing when hunting? Or is that not a hunting reg anymore. It sucks either way and I understand the rush that we get skews our judgement sometimes. Comes back to your title, “ know your target”!
    Doubt it. Most lights are LED which doesn't put off heat. Yes, it's still required for night hunting.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Glad to see this posted. I happened to hear the call come into the DNR on the scanner app. It sounded disturbing.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Maybe too many crime shows and movies but being a hunter…….. and part time tv trained sleuth. I cannot help but suspect foul play.

Hunting “accidents” always seem to have many pieces that conveniently fall into place. Not saying there aren’t accidents I am saying I think a good percentage of them are planned.

And if not planned maybe done out of anger for trespassers poachers public land disputes etc.

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    Still speculation on my part, but a little more information to "fill in the blanks"...

Anybody can get into the thermal game for under $1,000. For example...

The problem is the core is 160x120. This means the picture is absolute trash. Personally, I won't recommend below a 384 core and will push someone towards a 640.

What is the entry-level price of a "decent" scope? If $1000 is trash, I'm afraid to even ask. But curious...

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    I was hoping for some follow up to the original story. When I originally read it, I was thinking something nefarious had happened. I am still of that mindset. I hope I am wrong.
    I always try to give a heads up to the property owners before going out at night. I do have one property that this doesn’t work for. I’m always a bit edgy when I hunt that one.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I had my rifle out last night watching something coming toward the house from about 150yds out. I watched it as it lumbered to within about 110 before it turned around and went back the other way. Could have been a coyote but I was nowhere near confident enough to pull the trigger.

My routine is to positively identify what my potential target may be. Once I'm satisfied, I start looking at the backdrop to confirm it's a safe shot in the event of a miss or pass through. Then I go back for a second positive identification before I'll shoot.

Top Bottom