• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    I have seen knife sharpeners that have a V made out of carbide or ceramic 'stones'. Are these good to use? Do they sharpen the blade well? Are they good for the knife edge. If they are good, do you have any recommendations?

Like this or similar
    [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Smiths-PP1-Pocket-Multifunction-Sharpener/dp/B000O8OTNC/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1313413888&sr=8-4]Amazon.com: Smith's PP1 Pocket Pal Multifunction Sharpener: Home Improvement[/ame]

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Those pocket sharpeners have never worked for crap, not for me anyway.

The Spyderco sharpmaker has been great to me. Pretty much idiot(rob)-proof, and does a good job. It's made a few of my pocket knives and kitchen knives shaving sharp. (on arm hair, anyway)
    The lansky system I used before that was good, but too time-consuming.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I use the Chefs choice for most sharpening and the the RAZOR's Edge system when I want an extreme edge,

but 99% of my sharpening is done with the Chefs chioce and it works great

turn4chatter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    I have seen knife sharpeners that have a V made out of carbide or ceramic 'stones'. Are these good to use? Do they sharpen the blade well? Are they good for the knife edge. If they are good, do you have any recommendations?

Like this or similar
    Amazon.com: Smith's PP1 Pocket Pal Multifunction Sharpener: Home Improvement

I think that those type of sharpeners are better than nothing but wont help help you get a truly sharp edge. Only an edge that is almost usable. And they wont help much at all if the knife is really dull.

The Sharpmaker is good. I bought one a while back like it . Then soon after I ran in a Gatco(like the Lansky) for cheap at a local store. Dealing with the Gatco was just a PITA after using the Sharpmaker. It just just got stuck in the drawer in case i needed to "reprofile" and knives later.

Buy a good a sharpener and learn how to use it. You are going to be using knives the rest of your life no mater what so they might as well be sharp.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    I'm trying to decide between a Apex Edge Pro or a Wicked Edge system for myself. These two sharpening systems are what most of the "professionals" use. Right now I'm leaning towards a Wicked Edge system and will probably be ordering one here in a few weeks. Both of these sharpening systems are expensive, so unless you are planning to do a lot of sharpening, your better off just letting Tyler34 do your sharpening.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    those expensive systems work great but often times don't really pay for themselves unless you do it full time, and if you do it full time you don't use those systems.

Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    My biggest concern is getting the right angle. My dad had one of those lansky types, but I agree, it is a pain in the fanny!

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    DD I sharpen for a living and when people ask me at shows what to buy my answer is always a spyderco sharpmaker, if you can make a vertical motion with a knife it'll get you the right angle every time.

turn4chatter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    I'm trying to decide between a Apex Edge Pro or a Wicked Edge system for myself. These two sharpening systems are what most of the "professionals" use. Right now I'm leaning towards a Wicked Edge system and will probably be ordering one here in a few weeks. Both of these sharpening systems are expensive, so unless you are planning to do a lot of sharpening, your better off just letting Tyler34 do your sharpening.

My Dad ordered the Wicked Edge about 4 months ago.....I'll let you know his opinion of it if he ever gets it

Seems they are having trouble getting some of the stones.

steve666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Indianapolis Eastside
    I use the Lansky Diamond system:
    LKDMD.jpg

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Those pocket sharpeners have never worked for crap, not for me anyway.

The Spyderco sharpmaker has been great to me. Pretty much idiot(rob)-proof, and does a good job. It's made a few of my pocket knives and kitchen knives shaving sharp. (on arm hair, anyway)

What he said !!!! The Spyderco is pretty much idiot proof and puts a razor edge on your blades as long as they don't look like a butter knife to start with. You can set the stones for different angles as well.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    those expensive systems work great but often times don't really pay for themselves unless you do it full time, and if you do it full time you don't use those systems.

Not to argue with you Tyler...but both of these systems can be bought for under $400 when you catch them on sale. Now let's say a person owns a few dozens knives (a true knifeholic) that he/she uses through out the year. If you have to sharpen each knife once a year it is easily paid for within a few years and this doesn't count blades around the house like kitchen knives, plus friends and family that will want you to sharpen their knives....etc. I know several cutlery shops that use these systems, they are in the business, whether this makes them professionals or not is not for me to judge.:dunno: You could always go and buy a Tru Hone system (Tru Hone HR8 & Tru Hone HG3 Hollow Grinder), but who has $15,000 plus to spend just to sharpen knives?

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin

Like this or similar

If you are able to go to the upcoming 1500 Gun Show, there is a guy there that sharpens knives and does an amazing job. I can't remember his name but I take knives there every time I go to the show. More than frequent enough for me. If I remember he only charges $4 or so.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    Not to argue with you Tyler...but both of these systems can be bought for under $400 when you catch them on sale. Now let's say a person owns a few dozens knives (a true knifeholic) that he/she uses through out the year. If you have to sharpen each knife once a year it is easily paid for within a few years and this doesn't count blades around the house like kitchen knives, plus friends and family that will want you to sharpen their knives....etc. I know several cutlery shops that use these systems, they are in the business, whether this makes them professionals or not is not for me to judge.:dunno: You could always go and buy a Tru Hone system (Tru Hone HR8 & Tru Hone HG3 Hollow Grinder), but who has $15,000 plus to spend just to sharpen knives?

that is my experience so take it for what it's worth. if your gonna get one get the EP like grunt said the WE is far more expensive when you buy more or replacement stones.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI

Like this or similar
    You probably should calrify "use" and what type of knife you are trying to keep sharp. Do you mean in the field or at home?

I have used Rapala's little handheld ceramic ones for over 30 years and the fine one works great on thin blades, big or small. If you need to touch up a filet knife in the middle of cleaning 50 to 200 fish these are priceless. Good for small pocket knives too. I have them stashed all over the place, even in the kitchen.
    Rapala Fishing Lures :: Products : Knives : Knife Accessories : Ceramic Sharpeners

It does not take the place of knowing how to sharpen a knife but any dork can get an edge going with one. I do have some old school carbide ones, they are fine for crude steel stuff like scissors, shovels and garden tools but I can't run a blade through one.

For larger blades I carry one of the brass handled diamond hones to clean up and edge fast. You can do anything with one of those. But today I would probably buy this, I probably will anyway just to try one. Anyone ever try it?
    http://www.crkt.com/Veff-Sharp-600-Diamond-Grit-Stepped-Knife-Sharpener

Last edited:

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    we have one built into the butcher block in the kitchen, and it is terrible. my dad insissts on running the knives through it each time he uses them, and I did it once. I felt chunks being taken out of the blade, and I pointed them out to him, yet he still uses the thing. :n00b:

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I could easly "justify" buying a Tormek and I am sitting here wondering why after 20 years of wanting it, I have not bought one?!

Have you ever used one?

Last edited:
    Top Bottom