• GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Remember the good old days when Americans had that can-do attitude? We built things like the Empire State Building and the Hoover Dam in about the time it took just to do an environmental impact study of a project whose final decision to build still may not come for additional years.

We've gone from can-do to no-go.

joe138

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    If the admin thought it could save the mid term elelctions, I could see it going forward. I have always thought that they were holding it back like an ace.

gunworks321

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Noblesville
    You are correct that it probable won't be built under the current administration. Spokesperson Jay Carney already stated today that this was in no way a decision to go ahead with the project but rather another step in the process. What process I asks ya? Still needs State Department final go ahead and public comment or in other words not on Obama's watch.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Big chinese money would probably like to see that crude go to the Pacific coast somewhere, not the Houston area.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    It will just ship out of Houston for overseas consumption. Very little, if any, of this oil is destined for the American market.

Probably true, but at least somebody in this country will get a little value added out of it.:)

cook4army

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 30, 2013
    Greenfield, IN
    I cant remember where I read this, but it was said that the main reason that Obama wouldnt sign the paperwork was that one of his biggest supporters was a big "environmentalist" that suddenly turned oil tycoon. Seems this gentleman is building, or wants to build a pipeline from where the oil is coming from in Canada, to the west coast of Canada so that the Canadians can sell it to the Chinese. Having a pipeline that runs through the US would put a HUGE damper on his ability to quadruple his yearly income.

zippy23

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Noblesville
    Obama will only ok this if it is politically advantageous. 2014 looks real bad for democrats, this could be something he ok's under the radar then claims victory for lowering gas prices as summer hits, then again it could hurt him with the environmental crowd, but i honestly think he will do nothing, blame others, then trash the republican party as usual. He cant lose any more of his base than he already has with obamacare. this could get interesting, either way its another lose lose for america. How in the world is he not impeached? We are so screwed

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Thought it was interesting that, at the time they were building the south section of the Keystone Pipeline, Tea Partyers joined environmentalists in fighting against it.

It seems that, when the pipeline people couldn't get some landowners to agree to terms, they went "Eminent Domain" on them and took their land, thus angering "Property-Rights Conservatives".

Tsigos

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2012
    The State Department released a review with no environmental concerns for the construction of the pipeline. I still don't see it being built. I think that it will be ignored by this administration and it just withers and dies, despite all the jobs it would provide (union jobs is the irony).

Keystone review mutes environmental concerns, raises pressure on Obama | Fox News

State Department Says Keystone Pipeline Will Create Just 50 Jobs - Businessweek

Or how about this?:

According to the Cornell University study, Keystone XL will increase the price of heavy crude oil in the Midwest by almost $2 to $4 billion annually, and escalating for several years. It will do this by diverting major volumes of tar sands oil now supplying the Midwest refineries, so it can be sold at higher prices to the Gulf Coast and export markets. As a result, consumers in the Midwest could be paying 10 to 20 cents more per gallon for gasoline and diesel fuel, adding up to $5 billion to the annual U.S. fuel bill.
    The Benefits and Drawbacks of the Keystone XL Pipeline - US News

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Thought it was interesting that, at the time they were building the south section of the Keystone Pipeline, Tea Partyers joined environmentalists in fighting against it.

It seems that, when the pipeline people couldn't get some landowners to agree to terms, they went "Eminent Domain" on them and took their land, thus angering "Property-Rights Conservatives".
    That's going to to happen to hundreds of people, if not thousands, all the way from the border to Houston. And folks won't give a rip. No doesn't mean no to some people.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    With obamacare projected to lose us 2.3 million jobs this may get pushed through and would be turned around to look like the King did something good for us. I have no problems with unions. I feel most get a bad rap from the 10% out there with their corruption and other issues, but since working on the railroad in addition to using my GI benefits. Our families quality of life has improved and my wife and I can do more of the things we want.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    That's going to to happen to hundreds of people, if not thousands, all the way from the border to Houston. And folks won't give a rip. No doesn't mean no to some people.

The same thing happened when they built the US Interstate system. I worked with a guy some years ago whose family farm, owned for generations, is now underneath part of 465. They didn't give a rip back then, and they won't give a rip today.

Top Bottom