• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scarnucci

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    IN
    My wife and I have been looking at moving from Indianapolis to the southern portion of the state. (Ideally looking for some acreage to have a mini farm)

As I type, she is enroute to a job interview down in Sellersburg. If she is offered, and should she accept the position, it would require her to rent a place short term while I tie up loose ends and get our current home ready to sell up north.

We dont know much about the area. We road tripped it down to New Albany over the weekend for her initial interview. She was looking on Craigslist for cheap apartments and found a couple.

My question is...are there any parts of New Albany that are unsafe and she should stay away from? She'll be on her own down there during the week and I dont want her apartment hunting in the wrong part of town.
    I think she was going to check out some units at Riverview Manor on Dewey street...Is that area safe?

Also, if anyone has a line on any properties (5-20 acres) that may be going up on the market, lemme know.

Thanks

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Sellersburg isnt a bad area. New Albany is closer to the metro area to it would be like indy. Anything closer to Louiville is the same as Indy. I grew up in Indy and lived there all my life until i met my wife and moved down here in Jackson County. Wouldnt change it for anything. Now i hate to go to any city for anything. I know there are a ton of farm properties for sale from Scottsburg to Sellsburg. Good Luck on your move!

Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany
    I used to live outside of the New Albany area, but that was almost 25 years ago. My daughter just moved down there and leased an apartment for 1 year for a roof over her head while working and going to school.

I'll ask her about some of the locations.

I think its safe to say the areas out by 265 (Charlestown Road or Grantline Road would be OK. There was a lot of new building down there when I was visiting a few weeks ago. Shops, fast food, groceries, etc are all convenient.

I would be interested in the properties available also. Some perhaps farther Southwest outside of Floyd or Clark counties.

United

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    in-laws are from New Albany. Will be heading down there this weekend actually. There is an apartment complex by their house that's not too bad. Safe are and probably not too awfully expensive. I will let ya know the name of it over the weekend if you can wait that long.

If you stay near 265, you should be ok. If you have any specific places in mind, shoot me a PM and I can always have my in-laws give me their opinion on them...they just might be a bit slow to get back with me!

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Salem
    I live in Salem, about 25 minutes from Sellersburg. I would say when you get ready to buy a house, stay out of the city. Jackson county, Washington, and Scott, are all great places to live. I know in Salem and Scottsburg property is very plentiful. Also, Your close to I-65 so you can be in Louisville or wherever pretty quick. Easy commute, but you live in the country. gotta love that. Let me know where you end up, you might gain a shooting buddy.

dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county
    I would put her over off of I-265 charlestown rd grantline rd area if i were you If new albany has a bad side of town the apartments off dewey st. is it ,
    Had a friend that lived on 16Th and dewey used to see some things there while partying at his house ...(JMHO):ingo:

NEWMAN

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2008
    We from Kentucky try to not claim you Indianna people.lol Kentuckiana must have been from some old guy in Indiana.lol Move to louisville make the drive its nicer on the south side of the bridge. :laugh:

on a serious note Dice has good advice:yesway:

CopperWires

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    Anywhere near downtown New Albany seems a bit rough to me. If you look near 265, there are lots of nice affordable places to rent. There are actually a few places in Sellersburg to rent also and I wouldn't consider any place in Sellersburg to be unsafe. Jeffersonville has so sketchy rentals but also has some very nice rentals. Orchard Hills is a new place that isn't too far from Sellersburg. I can certainly help if I know more about what you're looking for. Feel free to PM me. BTW, I'm not a real estate agent or anything like that. I hae just spent a lot of time looking for a rental and now that I'm here, I'm starting to spend a lot of time looking for a property to own.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I can tell you ain't from around here boy, it's Indyucky...putting Indiana first! There are some places here where I'd rather not live, but all-in-all the southern Indiana area (Clarksville, Jeffersonville, and New Albany) is a pretty good place to live. Crime isn't rampant, like in Indianapolis. If I were you, I'd call up the local PD and get an "off the record" review of the apartment complex you are considering. Maybe see what's going on from around 10 p.m. to 2 a.m. on a Saturday night, before committing to a lease.

Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I subscribe to a podcast about Louisville goings-ons.
    You might be interested in watching the videos.

This link requires you to have iTunes installed.

iTunes Store

Lots of interesting information about stuff to do in the area. And in nearby Indiana areas, from what I have seen.

Scarnucci

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    IN
    Thanks for all the tips and advice. We found out today that her job will start in January, instead of next week! That gives us much more time to do some house/farm hunting and she won't have to get an apartment like we had thought. Now I get to job hunt too. :P

55spartan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Southern IN
    By the way I am from Indy too and moved here about 9 years ago. I still miss Indy news, the news stations you get out of Loserville SUCK!!!!!!!! Especially the megalomaniac weather stooge Jay Cardosi!!!!

NEWMAN

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2008
    By the way I am from Indy too and moved here about 9 years ago. I still miss Indy news, the news stations you get out of Loserville SUCK!!!!!!!! Especially the megalomaniac weather stooge Jay Cardosi!!!!
    Yea he is a douchetatstic person. I played tennis with him at one fo the clubs I taught at. I think he wears the makeup off air.lol

CopperWires

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    Not to wander too far off topic but I agree about our news and especially weather. Heaven forbid that we get some sort of activity in the atmosphere. Then they go all ape $h!T and won't let people watch tv. And finally people complain and they go on air and lay on the guilt trip. Anywhere else you get the interruption and then back to your regularly scheduled programming. It's an unwanted take over for anything more severe than an afternoon shower.

And so far this year, the weather has been decent aside from the gulley washer we had and the ice storm. The summer has been mild and we set a record for not hitting 90 degrees in July. I couldn't believe what I was hearing when the weather gets on air and says, "Finally we will hit the 90s." WTF? Are you serious? Complain complain complain.

Sorry. Rant over.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jstan
    Top Bottom