• ...and so much more!
  • Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    I'm giving a lot of thought toward getting a kayak for fishing small lakes and ponds and the occasional river float. I have rented sit-in kayaks several times for river floats but never used the sit-on style. I have read multiple sources offering that a sit-on kayak is better suited for fishing and ease of entry. I'm currently looking at 10 foot plastic units.

I would love to hear opinions and advice from those who fish in kayaks or use them a lot in general.

Thanks

model1994

quick draw mcgraw
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 17, 2022
    glacial boundary
    I'd get at least a 12' - more stability, tracks better, wind doesn't spin you as easy, etc. than a 10. Sit-on is the preferred style for fisherman, but there are hybrids like the Ascend H12 (photo) I used to use for fishing and waterfowl photography/hunting. There is a myriad of types and styles now available so if you're really unsure, I'd comb the used market for something decent and just start fishing. youll figure out what features you'd prefer.

also, please wear a pfd. NRS Chinook or Stearns comfort series are good options, unless you'd prefer an inflatable type.

Attachments

• 20190530_100729~2.jpg
      20190530_100729~2.jpg
      888.9 KB · Views: 18

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I just went through the same thing and ended up with a 10' sit-on. I went back and forth between the 12' and 10'. The 12 had a lot more room and is more stable but the reasons I ended up choosing the 10 were

1) easier to manage by myself. The 10 is about 45 pounds and the 12 was closer to 80

2) easier to haul. The 10 doesn't hang out of my truck bed as far

3) would need it for double duty. When friends go on floats, u can easily take the 10. I felt like the 12 would be a lot to handle on some creeks.

4) easier to store. I hang mine from the garage ceiling using amazon pulleys which puts the 12' kayaks at the very max of what they are 'rated' for.

This is a low/mid tier but so far I have enjoyed it. Having somewhere to put the poles is so nice.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    Started canoeing in the 1970's and then wife and I got a pair of 10' sit in kayaks about four years ago. Really like them even if they are just plastic recreation types. Got a chance to pick a pair of sit on 10' used and cheap, which I like.
    Still have my canoe no interest in getting rid of it but it does not get much use. The canoe is 85# while the kayaks are 40# SI and 45# SOT so much easier to handle. The SI is the most stable but you can't move around much so makes your butt tired. SOT seem to be tippy at first but seem to stabilize after that first movement. Haven't done any fishing out of the kayaks but think the SOT would be the way to go. Jim.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    I have a hobie tandem island. I love to take it fishing super super stable and comfortable. Plus the added bonus of a big ass sail. :D I would only use it on lakes though. So not sure if it would work for you if you stay on the rivers.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    I fish from an el cheapo 10'. It came with a couple pole-holders but Santa quickly delivered me a bunch of Yak Gear. Installation super easy as is the removal when I just want to float with friends. Fishing kayaks are almost always SOT, so it probably is a better setup. But for Indiana lakes a sit is is fine. Menards has 10' sit in on sale for $224 + 11% rebate. A new one won't come cheaper than that. Of course you'll still need to buy a paddle.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Ive got a Sentinel 100x and I love it. I bought it for my teenager to goof off in when he gets bored fishing from the 12 Lund with me. (I tow it out)
    the back is a little uncomfortable due to pressure points, but Ive got one of those closed cell foam bleacher cushions that Im going to take out next time to see if that helps. It literally feels like my back is resting on the top corner of the seat well. But I can reach back and feel its not really touching. That is my only complaint.

I really like that it has a drop in gear tray. So you dont have to make lots of trips between the car and water with your extra gear. And Ive found them as low as $300.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Oh, and forget the ski vest style PFDs. We tried those at first because we already had one. We learned VERY quickly that you end upsitting with the shoulders of the vest around your ears because the seat back makes it ride up. you want a paddler vest. It has mesh at the bottom of the back so the only floaty foam in back is across your shoulder blades and up. .

Onebad06vtx

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Ellettsville
    Buy the widest sit on you can afford!
    I have a nucanoe 10' frontier and its great.
    Also get a paddle model as the foot peddle models wont work in shallow water.
    There great to fish off of,good luck.

brdhntr37

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    I've always preferred sit ons as well. Seem to be more fishing friendly for gear,etc.
    Don't get in a rush to buy one... I started with a perception and then decided I wanted a Jackson. Would have been much better off trying different ones out and getting the Jackson first. The 10' works great on rivers. I got the coosa hd and I can stand in it and it's very maneuverable. It's a little heavier then the perception, but use a kayak cart that helps a lot

swamptick

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Rochester
    I have a sit on called a Feelfree Lure 10' these are a little more expensive but well worth it imo. They are wider and have a tri pontoon type of bottom so you can stand up and fish, which is very nice. I am 56 years old and fish rivers mostly but I can stand and stay very stable. They also have a wheel in the keel making it a breeze to move around on land!
    Good luck on your search:)

Top Bottom