• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Thanks for the post, and this is unfortunate. Basically what this means is, the kid from Columbus should have left his gun in the car, and Greenwood mall should have relied on "quality control sampling" from a dood with a dogg to stop that shooting.

Just wait until the cost of electronic gun detection systems comes down to less than what it costs to train and pay canines and their handlers. Concealed Carry America is going to get a Red Pill.
    Easy, don't patronize their establishments.

I can't recall the last time I've been to a mall, even though that bourbon chicken at the food court is tempting.

No gun signs don't carry the force of law, so as long as it's not a prohibited place, carry on!

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Before Christmas we were at Castleton Mall… I made a lap through bed Bath and beyond, and the dog kept going.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Easy, don't patronize their establishments.

I can't recall the last time I've been to a mall, even though that bourbon chicken at the food court is tempting.

No gun signs don't carry the force of law, so as long as it's not a prohibited place, carry on!

Troof! I cant find a recipe that is as good as how they do it.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Maybe not on trained cops, but on these mall cop want to be?

Now how the dog works.

An 'alert' isn't simply a sign of interest. It's a specific behavior and it's specific to the thing that the dog is trained to alert for. Think of how useless a bomb dog would be that did the same thing for a bomb as it did for a box of chicken wings. S&R would be impossible if the dog was sidetracked by food in the rubble, etc.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Throwing the dog off my trail.

That's sort of like asking how big is a boat. Without more information, it's an impossible question to answer with any real hope at accuracy. Trained handlers may be able to give you a general sense of range of an open air sniff in an enclosed crowded environment for a given breed, but that's beyond my experience. In general terms: it depends on if the dog is actively searching, what the capability of that particular dog is, air movement, etc.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    That's sort of like asking how big is a boat. Without more information, it's an impossible question to answer with any real hope at accuracy. Trained handlers may be able to give you a general sense of range of an open air sniff in an enclosed crowded environment for a given breed, but that's beyond my experience. In general terms: it depends on if the dog is actively searching, what the capability of that particular dog is, air movement, etc.
    So as with most things in life, "it depends." I don't go to malls very often. When I saw the K-9 coming up the hall I stepped into a store that had all kinds of scents. The dog went by.

One other time (Greenwood Park Mall) I walked into an open area and the K-9 (around the corner) looked right at me. Fortunately the handler was BSing with some people. I cut through a crowd and left without incident.

I guess I'll avoid malls.

Top Bottom