Just when you think MGs make a lot of brass.....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    Wow! This brings back a lot of fond memories of the M60A3 at Grafenwoehr. I humped and dumped ammo for the tanks. Occasionally I'd get to partake of some recreational pharmaceuticals and watch the night range activities. 105mm rifled barrel, M2MG, and M60MG can put on quite a show; even the deer came out to watch. It ain't the heavy stuff, but the Navy is fairly inactive on dry land.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Wow! This brings back a lot of fond memories of the M60A3 at Grafenwoehr. I humped and dumped ammo for the tanks. Occasionally I'd get to partake of some recreational pharmaceuticals and watch the night range activities. 105mm rifled barrel, M2MG, and M60MG can put on quite a show; even the deer came out to watch. It ain't the heavy stuff, but the Navy is fairly inactive on dry land.
    Would have been nice if the M60s used Ma Deuce. They had that POS M85. If you really wanted to have your mind blown at Graf, try a 2 ACR subaltern shoot. An entire armored cav platoon on the line at once, with 4.2" mortars and artillery.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Would have been nice if the M60s used Ma Deuce. They had that POS M85. If you really wanted to have your mind blown at Graf, try a 2 ACR subaltern shoot. An entire armored cav platoon on the line at once, with 4.2" mortars and artillery.
    The M60 tank initially had two POSes
    M73/M219 7.62 coax. COMPLETE junker... replaced with ether a M60 or M240 coax.
    M85 50 bmg in the Comanders mini turret. Never could be replaced as the M2HB would not fit the commanders mini turret.

The M60 was awesome.. but the MGs on it did suck.

1701909710943.jpeg

Last edited:

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    Thanks for the refresher. I taught ground-mounted (tripod) M2. I'm not sure I EVER knew the .50 cal on the tank was not M2. Hell, we ring-mounted 'em on 5T trucks and GOERs. Oh, and thanks for the picture. We didn't work with armored cavalry. IIRC, 1st AD worked with 2/2 Air Cav Bamberg. Our primary function was to die in the Fulda gap, slowly enough to hinder the Soviets on their way in. At least Uncle Ronnie would thrown the book at 'em. Joe Weiner... oops! Biden is afraid to **** them off.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for the refresher. I taught ground-mounted (tripod) M2. I'm not sure I EVER knew the .50 cal on the tank was not M2. Hell, we ring-mounted 'em on 5T trucks and GOERs. Oh, and thanks for the picture. We didn't work with armored cavalry. IIRC, 1st AD worked with 2/2 Air Cav Bamberg. Our primary function was to die in the Fulda gap, slowly enough to hinder the Soviets on their way in. At least Uncle Ronnie would thrown the book at 'em. Joe Weiner... oops! Biden is afraid to **** them off.

Thank you for your service.

What really scared people was for the first two weeks to a couple months of WW3, really could have been non nuclear.. It wasn't the nukes that scared leadership. It was pretty much just over after a full exchange. But Nato did envisage a scenario where WW3 kicked off and immediately didn't go nuclear.

Scenarios were run. It would have make the entirety of WW2 look like a picnic.. A million Russians come piling through the Fulda Gap, with whatever Nato had waiting.. Russian goal was to drive Nato off the continent, and that didn't mean out of france and stop like the Nazis... it meant throwing Nato into the Atlantic at LISBON PORTUGAL! All the while every air asset is at the russians.. Imagine the iraq road with Air Power shooting anything that moved 70 times more..

Meanwhile at sea, the Worlds most insane missile shooting contest kicks off as Russian strategic bomber assets streak out after the US Navy Carriers (along with the Russian Navy).. With the US Navy going ape crap on anything that so much as moved in thier direction.

It would have been batcrap insane..

That is the true terror of the Cold War.. not that the fact that nukes could end the world in the second, it was the fact that for a month or two, no one used nukes, and the most batcrap insane conventional conflict breaks out.. before someone starts to loose and hits the nuclear end it all button.

Last edited:

Cynical

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 21, 2013
    peru
    I agree, when I was stationed in Germany, Graf and Wildflikken is where I went to qualify for M60 and 203 and LAW didn’t see night range but as a dude in a maintenance unit the 11 bs were hardcore. Mres for lunch and hot chow for breakfast and dinner. I have to admit when I was qualifying for LAW the infantry guys were shooting AT-4s, I was a little jealous.

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    The M60 tank initially had two POSes
    M73 7.62 coax. COMPLETE junker... replaced with ether a M60 or M240 coax.
    M85 50 bmg in the Comanders mini turret. Never could be replaced as the M2HB would not fit the commanders mini turret.

The M60 was awesome.. but the MGs on it did suck.

View attachment 317192
    I was an M60A1 tanker in the Marine Corps. We used the M60E2 as a coax gun on our tanks. Interestingly enough, we had an M240 coax gun on my tank at Tank School. This was in 1986. I'm not sure how that got on my tank. We were the only tank that had one. My tank commander/instructor at Ft. Knox was a pretty good scrounger. I assume that is how we got the M240.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    View attachment 317098

Up to your arse in brass...

MG owners don't get to have all the fun!

This reminds me of watching all of those WWII movie footage of the naval bombardment and watching them dump all of that monster brass into the sea.
    I've always thought a dozen or so of those huge cases would make a neat looking, and sounding, wind chime.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I was an M60A1 tanker in the Marine Corps. We used the M60E2 as a coax gun on our tanks. Interestingly enough, we had an M240 coax gun on my tank at Tank School. This was in 1986. I'm not sure how that got on my tank. We were the only tank that had one. My tank commander/instructor at Ft. Knox was a pretty good scrounger. I assume that is how we got the M240.
    1701921916242.png

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    I definitely say a cav squadron running gunnery probably makes more brass in numbers. Especially if ya do the blank tables before live tables..

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    85-86 at Zweibruken AB, I was actually given a broomstick to "simulate" a rifle during an exercise......Running around our P.P.I.F. in MOPP gear with a broomstick.....

Top Bottom