• ...and so much more!
  • 2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    So, I hand the check out girl a $100 dollar bill and say fillup on number 3.
    I go outside and fill up. When I come back I pick up a couple of slim jims and
    notice an armed security gyard eying me so I turn and smile and say hi. She still
    Looks uncomfortable so I go to the counter to finish checking out.

She comes toward me quickly and says just for your infornation sir, most businesses
    won't allow you in the store with yuor handgun showing like that. I smile snd say
    I never have any problems. She repeats her warning. I say, the only problem I ever
    have is with uninformed security guards, mostly from Westfield security.( she just so
    happens to be wearing their shirt0 st this point she points to the embroirded badge and says
    She is a Gary Police Sergant. To which I said, you should read Indiana Code.

Ok my voice is calm and low, but for some reason her voice is getting louder and shriller, as
    she tells me what great grades she got in criminal law, as she stomps off down a hall and around
    a corner to another part of the building. I inquie as she stompps off why she os being so beligerant.

I turn to wasl out and the cashier calls me back to hand me my slim jims and I say to her why was she so beligerant.
    She just shrugs and smiles. As I am leaving I look at the other employees the other cashier is smiling and one young guy
    Has a look of unbelief on his face.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    If your description of the event is accurate, then I'm going to side with the security person. The issue is not whether or not you had the right to carry, but how you handle a well-intentioned person who, in her mind, was doing you a favor. You should have just reiterated that in your experience most businesses are actually OK with OC, thanking her for her suggestion, and then moved on. Instead, you chose to offer the first barb in what could have been a trade of barbs. You picked a fight and made it personal.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    cool-story-bro.jpg

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Bing,

Exaxtly what I expect from you.

My first reply was polite.

She escalated by loudly repeating her statement as though that made it law.

It was thme for me to set her straight. I don't cower in corners or retreat with my tail between my legs.

Colinb913

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Newburgh
    I think you handled the situation perfectly. When a misinformed individual tries to tell me to hide my gun, or put it away, I tell them their misinformed, tell them the correct information and where they can find it, and go about my day. You did a good job.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    It was thme for me to set her straight. I don't cower in corners or retreat with my tail between my legs.

Sometimes it's wise to let the fool be, but then that takes someone who is secure and comfortable. I wouldn't think of ignoring the security guard as "cowering in the corner or retreating," if I believe I am in the right. What does it matter to me for a little dog to bark at me? Think about how little money that woman makes. Not everyone is capable of the same degree of wisdom, after all, and you have to make room in the world for the less capable or less informed people. That's a part of the Christian wisdom in "turn the other cheek." But if you feel that you had to defend your manhood, then I can understand why you reacted that way.

Redtbird

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Monroe County
    Where do you live that a gas station/convenience store has an uniformed armed security guard? Never noticed that in the places I've been.

Last edited:

dusterboy49

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Fremont
    Sometimes it's wise to let the fool be, but then that takes someone who is secure and comfortable. I wouldn't think of ignoring the security guard as "cowering in the corner or retreating," if I believe I am in the right. What does it matter to me for a little dog to bark at me? Think about how little money that woman makes. Not everyone is capable of the same degree of wisdom, after all, and you have to make room in the world for the less capable or less informed people. That's a part of the Christian wisdom in "turn the other cheek." But if you feel that you had to defend your manhood, then I can understand why you reacted that way.

You need to keep your liberal views in check.:twocents:

Boost Lee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Greenwood, IN
    I think you handled it just fine.

As someone who generally CC's now, I OC'ed for years and still do on occasion...
    And part of my duty when OC'ing was to try to educate others when I'm asked upon.
    There's a fine line between harassing/talking down to one vs informing THEM that THEY are misinformed and trying to explain (for what it's worth).

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    She comes toward me quickly and says just for your infornation sir, most businesses
    won't allow you in the store with yuor handgun showing like that. I smile snd say
    I never have any problems. She repeats her warning. I say, the only problem I ever
    have is with uninformed security guards, mostly from Westfield security.( she just so
    happens to be wearing their shirt0 st this point she points to the embroirded badge and says
    She is a Gary Police Sergant. To which I said, you should read Indiana Code..

I don't see what difference it makes on how much she makes, but since you brought it up. ^^
    If your going to do a job enforcing laws I think you should have an understanding of them.
    OP, hopefully you made her look up the laws so she doesn't keep doing this.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Bing you just don't get it.

I know the law, I ignore her, she thinks I am a cow and goes on to bully others who are less informed.

This public service message brought to you by Blue.

Last edited:

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In

That's called affirmative action. Look what that got us in the White House.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    A) Think about how little money that woman makes.

B) Not everyone is capable of the same degree of wisdom

C) make room in the world for the less capable or less informed people.

D) if you feel that you had to defend your manhood, then I can understand why you reacted that way.
    Conversely,
    A) Lot's of people making minimum wage aren't lacking resources to info regarding just about ANY subject. It's called "The Internet".
    B) Nearly everyone has access to the same types of information.
    C) Having the position of "sergeant" in any role holding authority over people should hold that person's standard HIGH in the "capable and informed" category.
    D) I'm pretty sure I don't have a "manhood" to be defended, but Blue Falcon's actions are perfectly acceptable.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Just don't know, misinformed, uninformed, ignorant people are are the goal of the present regime, MAIG, and the press.

These people we treat with kid gloves and gently, politely and even sweetly attempt to educate them as to the law. They are not responsible for the fear they are fed every time they turn on the TV. They are acceptable abd a little reason and logic will usually at least get them to be less frightened if not totaly converted.

You have heard that ignorance of the law is no excuse.

Well, ignorance in LEO or wanna be leo is totaly unacceptable and must be thwarted every time it rears its ugly head.

Top Bottom