• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sliptap

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Well guys, I'm joining the dark side. After years of singing the praises of semi autos, I've been bitten...by the revolver bug. It started when I was in my youth and blasting away on my Dad's SP101. I purchased a Taurus 605 and 85, but it wasn't quite what I was looking for. I sold some pistols at the 1500, so I could afford my new toy:

103072.jpg

Smith M&P 340...13.3 oz of 357 goodness. My hand already hurts thinking about it. Purchased it last night from Buds, so I should hopefully pick it up next week. Can't wait to start carrying this bad boy. I'll post pics once it arrives.

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Very nice. I did the same some time ago, wanted to diversify my semi-auto collection and got a GP100 in 357. Love shooting it and have been looking at others.

I'm a big fan of your basic black and that S&W looks sweet as heck...congrats.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I don't think this is considered the "Dark Side" (Ask JetGirl about what that is)

Maybe the "Old Side" or Classic side"

Shoot some 38's for a while then load one .357, spin the cylinder and start shooting. That way you won't flinch too bad.

Good choice to go with a S&W!

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    "Rotary" guns are not the Dark Side. Guns from Austria and Smyrna Ga. are the Dark Side. Rotary guns are the thinking man's choice. If you're thinking about a S&W revolver forget about the "Performance Center" guns - they are a complete waste of money. I have been smithing revolvers since 1990 and every time someone shows me a "Performance Center" gun I have to ask - "You paid HOW MUCH for this?"

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    There are those who'd say we're ALL on the 'dark side'. Personally, I don't think you can be a well rounded 'handgunner' without a good revolver too. Have you started looking at single-action revolvers?

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    Well guys, I'm joining the dark side. After years of singing the praises of semi autos, I've been bitten...by the revolver bug. It started when I was in my youth and blasting away on my Dad's SP101. I purchased a Taurus 605 and 85, but it wasn't quite what I was looking for. I sold some pistols at the 1500, so I could afford my new toy:

Smith M&P 340...13.3 oz of 357 goodness. My hand already hurts thinking about it. Purchased it last night from Buds, so I should hopefully pick it up next week. Can't wait to start carrying this bad boy. I'll post pics once it arrives.

I bought an M&P 340CT a few years back. The fit and finish on it is very impressive in my opinion. If I can't conceal anything else, I'll carry it in a pocket holster, which is super easy and very low profile. I assume you researched this, but you have to test your intended 357 ammunition in it to see if you experience "bullet pull". The recoil is so sharp and harsh that it will unseat the other slugs in the cylinder from their casings. Apparently, by your last round or two, it can be severe enough that the slug protrudes and locks up your cylinder. I did experience slight bullet pull on a few different rounds, but I ended up having good results with Golden Saber - I forget which size slug? My analogy for shooting that handgun with 357 is the feeling you get when you hit a big rock with a wooden baseball bat. It's punishing.

Ultimately, I gave up carrying 357 mag and I now carry it with Corbon DPX 38 special +P. I love the idea of 357 mag, but I couldn't ignore all of the sources saying that you really can't get more out of 357 than 38+P from an inch long barrel. It's lighter in the pocket and easier to control too.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    I carry at least one J Frame(442) in 38 spec, daily. Also carry a Glock19, 1911A, S&W M10 4in bbl, not in any special order, at least 1 full size Service Weapon. The snub size guns are the ultimate pocket/jacket option platform. Carry at least one reload per CCW as well.

Had a Ruger SP101, very nice, heavy duty wheelgun. Defintely a holster gun, would pull my pockets down. No issue with 357 Mag, 38 Spec just easier on my arthritic wrists and hands. As a back up... great. In a Milk/bread late night run, great. The goal is to find good grips, use them, make sure your speedloaders feed with them!

Your choice is a very good one. Enjoy.

Last edited:

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn

103072.jpg

Congrats...I actually want one of those!

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    There sure are a lot of dark sides to join now days. So far, I've joined the AK dark side, AR dark side, 1911 dark side, Glock dark side and love them all.

Top Bottom