Job trend 'resenteeism' has employees coasting through workdays and hanging on, rather than quitting

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    It’s a job. Pays the bills and allows me to enjoy my life. As long as it’s not toxic and stress filled I call that a win. Why do I need to strive for better when it does what I need it to do?

You're not quite in the category I'm referring to. You okay with your job if you can say that. I'm talking the people who hate their jobs, or even the thought of having to deal with it. I haven't felt that way in a long, long time. There are better jobs out there, whether it takes schooling, training or whatever. Especially for someone with a long time to go before they can stop working, why work a job you hate or that makes you miserable? If you find that fine, that's okay, we can just agree to disagree.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Well i would have taken them to a grinder and put some grip channels in them. It's amazing what can be done with a little know how.
    You missed the joke, know how. Channel Locks with no teeth are for use on Chrome plumbing fittings as not to scratch or mar them. You would have been the new master, stool and urinal king.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    You're not quite in the category I'm referring to. You okay with your job if you can say that. I'm talking the people who hate their jobs, or even the thought of having to deal with it. I haven't felt that way in a long, long time. There are better jobs out there, whether it takes schooling, training or whatever. Especially for someone with a long time to go before they can stop working, why work a job you hate or that makes you miserable? If you find that fine, that's okay, we can just agree to disagree.
    I absolutely LOATHE having to get up and go to work every damn day. I tolerate my job because it lets me have time and money to enjoy not being there. Even when I loved the job at a toxic company, I still didn't want to go and that was before another decade of getting up and going to work happened.

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Yeah, I just don't get working a job you only tolerate. You have to put in 40 hours a week every week for 30+ years, why make that time miserable? :dunno:
    because at this stage of the game, there's nothing better. pushing 50, I got 7-ish years. I'm not wasting money on education. That ship already sailed. In the last 30 years Ive been in a dozen different career fields at one time or another. Some were fall backs because I was good at them and its something that is always needed. Some were experiments. All of them I worked hard and learned all I could about every facet that I could... until this last one.

I've never liked going to work. Ever. It's just a way to earn the income needed to enjoy my quality of life and allow me to stop it at an early enough age to hopefully enjoy some of it even more.

Again, not everyone gets the dream. It's the way life works. You did something different, good for you. I'm a college drop out with many different job experiences. The amount of doors available to me are much smaller than someone with formal education.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Here's my take on the issue.

Gen Z,
    Welcome to life.

Sincerely,
    Gen X

As my Grandma said, "Be glad you have a job!"

(Hey Jennifer, does your employer regret being stuck with you?)

Jennifer Libby, a district manager with Insperity in Kansas City, Missouri, said resenteeism describes employees who remain in roles they find unsatisfying, either because they don't believe they can find a better opportunity or because they've tried and failed to find a job they want.

"Over time, they begin to resent their employer because they feel trapped in a job they do not want," noted Libby.

(Hey Dominic, PEOPLE SUCK!)

Dominic handles inventory for the company. Between doing paperwork, managing logistical issues and handling daily employee squabbles and scheduling, he said he's unhappy in his position.

The married father aspires to switch jobs, but with two children, he said he can’t act irresponsibly.

There's a reason they call it 'Wwerrk'

IMO it all got started with people becoming convinced that their job was supposed to provide them with happiness and fulfillment

Some jobs can actually do that but they're not entry/low level positions and the vast majority of these people wouldn't be able to cope. I was never happier than when I was a senior consultant, but it took me years at a drudgier job to get the necessary chops and I was always only one ****-up from a pink slip, so you had to have knowledge, confidence and bring your 'A' game every day

Too many kid's today think happiness is a destination and not a journey and I think that leads to some of the job-hopping that hurts them on their resume as well as makes them cynical and embittered. That's why they wanted the boomers out of the way, because they thought that was the only thing standing between them and nirvana

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    There's a reason they call it 'Wwerrk'

IMO it all got started with people becoming convinced that their job was supposed to provide them with happiness and fulfillment

Some jobs can actually do that but they're not entry/low level positions and the vast majority of these people wouldn't be able to cope. I was never happier than when I was a senior consultant, but it took me years at a drudgier job to get the necessary chops and I was always only one ****-up from a pink slip, so you had to have knowledge, confidence and bring your 'A' game every day

Too many kid's today think happiness is a destination and not a journey and I think that leads to some of the job-hopping that hurts them on their resume as well as makes them cynical and embittered. That's why they wanted the boomers out of the way, because they thought that was the only thing standing between them and nirvana
    realizing that your job is never going to be where you find happiness opens up things. Then you stop focusing on trying to be the best and the next level because you think it will make you happy. You look for the job that pays decent, but offers timeoff and a flexible schedule to allow you to spend it doing things that actually make you happy. Spending time with family, traveling, lighting $100 bills on fire (aka racing).

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    This just sounds like basically everybody in the working world.

Nobody wants to be at work. Everyone makes a wage that doesn't scale to effort day by day. The reward for effort is usually more work at the same pay. Everyone would stop going to work the day they won the lottery.

End of the day, if people wanted to do it, they wouldn't have to pay you.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    In 10 years, I'll punch out with my 32 yrs. I'll be 60 so drawing my pension won't be an issue. There were times I hated going into work, I was burnt out. Thankfully, I found new positions within the department that reset my career. At the end of the day, it pays the bills and I'll always find work if not here, in another field. However, I am fortunate that I enjoy my current assignment enough that I look forward to coming into work. Don't get me wrong, I love my time off, but I enjoy working as well.

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    You missed the joke, know how. Channel Locks with no teeth are for use on Chrome plumbing fittings as not to scratch or mar them. You would have been the new master, stool and urinal king.
    Lol, guess i didn't know that. I always wraped a wash cloth around the chrome steel being it was metal on metal. Learn something every day.

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    There were times that I did not like my job, but I stayed with it for 36 years. I learned and moved into different positions over the years and enjoyed the challenges. Now I have the best job in the world...RETIREMENT, and I love it.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    363   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I have worked for one company since getting out of college. Started as an hourly office gopher as a temporary thing till I figured out if I wanted to do grad school. Owner of the company pushed me to accept training for a position in the company and I did. 34 years later I am part owner, senior partner, and president of the company. That obviously skips over a whole lot but it is an unusual story in today's world.

There were times early on I thought about changing paths, even careers. Got very tempted about 10 years in when Wells Fargo head hunted me for a chief appraiser position in San Antonio. But I ended up where I was meant to be I think. Seems the biggest complaint most have is bad management or work environments. My job at all levels is very independent and that helped to keep it positive. It's also very self driven as in work harder you earn more.

Now having said all that I am in an 8-10 year countdown to retirement and I will have no problem walking away and not looking back. My Netflix queue alone will take the first year or so.

JTKelly

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Here's my take on the issue.

Gen Z,
    Welcome to life.

Sincerely,
    Gen X

As my Grandma said, "Be glad you have a job!"

(Hey Jennifer, does your employer regret being stuck with you?)

Jennifer Libby, a district manager with Insperity in Kansas City, Missouri, said resenteeism describes employees who remain in roles they find unsatisfying, either because they don't believe they can find a better opportunity or because they've tried and failed to find a job they want.

"Over time, they begin to resent their employer because they feel trapped in a job they do not want," noted Libby.

(Hey Dominic, PEOPLE SUCK!)

Dominic handles inventory for the company. Between doing paperwork, managing logistical issues and handling daily employee squabbles and scheduling, he said he's unhappy in his position.

The married father aspires to switch jobs, but with two children, he said he can’t act irresponsibly.

There is always Barber College, or that Transgender studies degree to fall back on.

Top Bottom