Job trend 'resenteeism' has employees coasting through workdays and hanging on, rather than quitting

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Here's my take on the issue.

Gen Z,
    Welcome to life.

Sincerely,
    Gen X

As my Grandma said, "Be glad you have a job!"

(Hey Jennifer, does your employer regret being stuck with you?)

Jennifer Libby, a district manager with Insperity in Kansas City, Missouri, said resenteeism describes employees who remain in roles they find unsatisfying, either because they don't believe they can find a better opportunity or because they've tried and failed to find a job they want.

"Over time, they begin to resent their employer because they feel trapped in a job they do not want," noted Libby.

(Hey Dominic, PEOPLE SUCK!)

Dominic handles inventory for the company. Between doing paperwork, managing logistical issues and handling daily employee squabbles and scheduling, he said he's unhappy in his position.

The married father aspires to switch jobs, but with two children, he said he can’t act irresponsibly.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Just assigning a name to something that has been around for forever. There are tons of people working a job they're just coasting along on. If companies really gave a :poop: they wouldn't overload their managers and would make their primary focus the productivity of their employees. Any manager should know what their employees are doing and the quality of their work. If they don't, the problem is management as much as it is the employee. People tend to see others coast along and wonder why they're working so hard, or notice that when they coast they aren't called out for it and therefore they continue to do it. If managers/employers paid attention and fired people who weren't working up to expectations, this sort of thing wouldn't happen because employees would know it isn't tolerated.

Just my :twocents:

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    Some things will never change. I have seen many people come and go at work. The shortest was a guy work maybe 2 hours and called in the next day to say he quit.

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    When i worked factory jobs, i always tried to learn and do everything in the building. Made work much more interesting including those jobs nobody wanted to do. Maybe they should have all these unhappy workers learning everything a company does.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Sounds a lot like "quiet quitting" the same folks were talking about last year.

From Dominic: "There’s also a quality of life to consider," Dominic said. "Although I don’t really like my job, I am 15 minutes from home … I can see my boys’ games and spend Sundays as a family together at church and watching sports."

So the bottom line seems to be you are willing to accept the offset of the job facets you don't like for the added benefits you do. That is life writ all.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I am one of those people who was generally not afraid of switching jobs. I had even positioned myself to quit a career and take a 50% pay cut to break into a new field. I retired from another field early so I could go into a field I felt called as my destiny. I took additional education pretty much my whole life. I am still taking classes.

All that said, even with my life choices, I believe I worked at least half my time at jobs that no longer were of any interest to me. I really do not think that can be avoided. Having a wife and kids does slow down your options. Never needed unemployment or welfare, but obviously had good times and lean times.

I never want to lay on my death bed wishing I had tried something different.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Some people will never be happy, no matter what their job. Happy is on the inside. Some things bring you joy, but true happiness you generate for yourself. Regardless of the job.

Very true. I guess I should have said tolerate their job instead of like. Not everyone can be happy with their job, but why work a job you hate? I know some have to in order to make ends meet, but man, how miserable. I thank God every day for directing me to a path where I at least tolerate, if not enjoy my job.

Not everyone can have their dream job. I loved one job in my 30 years of working, but the company was so toxic it was unhealthy to stay in it.

Just saying that it's sad, that's all. People should strive for better. I'm in my dream job now, but I worked years prior to this job where I was happy with the job, even if it wasn't a dream job.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    When i worked factory jobs, i always tried to learn and do everything in the building. Made work much more interesting including those jobs nobody wanted to do. Maybe they should have all these unhappy workers learning everything a company does.
    As a maintenance manager I would have handed you a few pair of channel locks with no teeth on the jaws and welcomed you to Facility Maintenance...

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Very true. I guess I should have said tolerate their job instead of like. Not everyone can be happy with their job, but why work a job you hate? I know some have to in order to make ends meet, but man, how miserable. I thank God every day for directing me to a path where I at least tolerate, if not enjoy my job.

Just saying that it's sad, that's all. People should strive for better. I'm in my dream job now, but I worked years prior to this job where I was happy with the job, even if it wasn't a dream job.
    It’s a job. Pays the bills and allows me to enjoy my life. As long as it’s not toxic and stress filled I call that a win. Why do I need to strive for better when it does what I need it to do?

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    My job pays pretty well, I have a fair amount of time off, more than I can generally take, though I’m allowed to take time off when I want, and I pretty well enjoy what I do and I like the people I work with. That’s the only reason I agreed to go full-time after I had semi retired. They well know that at the moment it gets in the way of my life, or I don’t find it fun, I can walk with no regrets.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I'd like a new job with an opportunity to earn more $ for sure.

But to find one that has the flexibility that my current job does + not being micro-managed + pretty decent benefits package + accrual of leave time that doesn't expire means that it'd be difficult to replicate.

Top Bottom