• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    They are trying to get you to quit by this move. No matter what made up BS your current boss is feeding you. Find a trade, contact the local carpenter, plumbing, painters and electrical union halls and see about their apprenticeship programs....today.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    @ruger1800 no I don't have documentation I just know I worked overtime and just got a thanks, don't think they would like the idea of the rainbow flag

That's the point.

Have you tried talking to this "boss of the boss"? There seems to be things that don't make sense on this end. Maybe it's a game of telephone... Or maybe someone's lying. Having a scripture handy could be useful if you don't want to hoist the rainbow flag. Christians are suppose to take up these matters with each other, and with the elders if necessary, not in the courts.

If this dude is saying you're "savable", then what's the argument for getting rid of you? You should at least hear her objections straight from her in her office. It's honorable thing. Have her write her complaints out if possible.

Anyways, not knowing much about unemployment, how does that handle this situation? It seems you're effectively fired because of reduction in hours and benefits. And like other have said, employee handbooks don't set the law. But, IndyDave might be right that there's no compensation since they're a non-profit.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Sorry about the hard time you're having.

For whatever it's worth, when you find the next full-time job you can live on, I'd spend your off hours building marketable skills, some kind of skilled trade or college.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Off topic a little but have to share a funny story. A friend of mine was asked to write a letter of recommendation for a guy that quit his job. He was lazy, incompetent and missed a lot of work. My friend thought long and hard about what to write and finally came up with the following.

You will be very lucky if you can get John Doe to work for you.

Classic move for my friend. He didn't bash the guy, but didn't give false information. If they hired the guy I'm sure they later looked at the real meaning to my friends letter.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Burt,

Gander Mountain on E 86th St off Allisonville Rd has five (5) openings available. Three (3) are part time w/ one in firearms sales and the other two (2) are full time.

Tractor Supply in Noblesville off of Pleasant St has a generic team member opening. It is entry level but with a national chain you may well have a chance for promotion.

You can go to each companies webpage, scroll down to the bottom and you'll find a "careers" link.

I hope this helps.

Doug

burt gummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    noblesville
    Here is what the employee handbook says about unemployment compensation:

neither the diocese nor the school is considered being subject to an does not participate and/or contribute to any state or federal unemployment compensation programs.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Here is what the employee handbook says about unemployment compensation:

neither the diocese nor the school is considered being subject to an does not participate and/or contribute to any state or federal unemployment compensation programs.

From what I have read since you raised the issue, this is correct and nationally, several diocese participate in the government unemployment, a couple have their own program, and about half do nothing (don't quote me on the breakdown, I was tired when I read it, but it was from a Catholic source, so I am taking their word for it).

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    Be sure to check out indeed.com and indianacareerconnect.com as well. Just because you're not eligible for UIB don't mean you can't use the tools available.
    ICC has a ton of tools to help in the job search including a resume builder and virtual recruiters to alert you of new jobs in a given field.

Joe G

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    SE Indiana

Never too old to start learning a valuable trade. I feel for you, but please use this as an opportunity to become an asset to a future employer that they can't do without vs. just another warm body who can do "odd job" type of tasks.

This doesn't mean you need expensive schooling or training classes - plenty of employers will hire someone with positive energy and a willingness to learn a new skill.
    Good luck

burt gummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    noblesville
    @joe G thanks the other maintenance guy at the school knows how to drive heavy machinery I asked him b4 all this happened to show me how to drive the skidsteer he said no, id love to do something like that, but im still looking, interesting how they teach gods words but then you can see the fork tongue as they kick you on ur A$$,

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    @joe G thanks the other maintenance guy at the school knows how to drive heavy machinery I asked him b4 all this happened to show me how to drive the skidsteer he said no, id love to do something like that, but im still looking, interesting how they teach gods words but then you can see the fork tongue as they kick you on ur A$$,

As much as I hate having to say this, you will find as much or more nastiness in church than you will in most secular environments.

Joe G

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    SE Indiana
    As much as I hate having to say this, you will find as much or more nastiness in church than you will in most secular environments.

I agree. Have a few co-workers who volunteer a lot with a few of the large Catholic schools in Cincy. They're very involved and are both on what you could call a "BoD" type body (not sure what you'd call it in a church setting) and both have horror stories how power hungry some can be - very much anti-"His word" type actions. They do it because they care about the churches/schools, but many seem to just love the power they can wield.

radar44

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    noblesville
    The best part of my old , crappy ex-job was watching each sadistic , child - like , bully wannabe of a boss ( who would threaten me daily ) leave.

They all got fired one by one and I was the only guy left .

The look of terror on their faces when they see me now is worth gold . ( think of the 1,000 yard stare )

I told them that they must be keeping 911 on speed dial on their phone in expectation of all the much deserved butt whoopin's that are sooooo long over due .

Seriously , the best revenge is living well and moving on up .:)

radar44

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    noblesville
    I want to work at Cabela's but I would starve to death in my room full of shiny new toys :)

However , YOU can work at Cabela's and would probably enjoy the heck out of it .:twocents:

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009

I agree. Have a few co-workers who volunteer a lot with a few of the large Catholic schools in Cincy. They're very involved and are both on what you could call a "BoD" type body (not sure what you'd call it in a church setting) and both have horror stories how power hungry some can be - very much anti-"His word" type actions. They do it because they care about the churches/schools, but many seem to just love the power they can wield.
    My brother can attest to this. Many years ago he was in a situation similar to what the OP is facing. He worked at a Catholic school in a custodial capacity and the administrator in charge was one of those overlord types that was referred to as the "Dragon Lady."

Hang in there OP and take the opportunities as they come to improve your skill sets as others have suggested. BTW...My brother now has a Masters Degree in business management working toward a Phd. He currently holds a high level management job with a very comfortable six figure salary. He's come a long way needless to say because he constantly strove to improve his lot in life in order to increase his earning potential.

burt gummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    noblesville
    The student make the school run, everybody is worried cause enrollment is down, maybe cause nobody can afford the cash, not everybody is rich it blows my mind how parents can afford this, I feel sorry for the kids sometimes, I just want to get out and get a better job quick, I know they won't find anybody who wants the night shift its horrible, unless you like to sleep my hours were 3-11 seriously 11:00pm? Who works that late at a school

Top Bottom