Jeep woes, and I dont know what to do with it..

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    So I'm driving my wife's Jeep (02 Jeep Gr. Cher. with the 4.0L) when it suddenly makes a loud ticking/knocking noise, motor shuts down, starts back for a second (VERY ROUGH, WONT MAKE IDLE), then dies again. Now it wont turn over. A buddy thinks oil pump failure/trashed motor.

And on top of that I have only found one used motor so far (I cant afford 4k for a new one), and they want $1,200, Yes ONE THOUSAND TWO HUNDRED DOLLARS!

Anyone shed some light/help/got a lead on a motor? Im at a loss, and my financial situation isnt 100% great right now.

Worst part, we just paid it off in October!

giovani

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    When I worked at a GM dealer we used williams auto parts, portland IN.
    800-669-5762
    They were a little more reasonable than LQK.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If the motor is locked up you have serious issues. From what you described it could be scrambled eggs. If it is the timing chain and it jumped or broke that will cause other issues as in valve/piston interference--block damage and so on.
    $1200 is a bit stiff but not terribly. I just called a buddy that deals in these things and he gets that at his parts yard here in indy. The Jeep motor is an item unto itself so you are in a premium market from the get go.

Luck to you.

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Forgot to mention that all my gauges were reading normal (oil pressure, temp, etc.)... If it were the oil pump, wouldnt the gauge have been showing low pressure??

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Forgot to mention that all my gauges were reading normal (oil pressure, temp, etc.)... If it were the oil pump, wouldnt the gauge have been showing low pressure??

Yes and there would have been some screeching and sounds of mechanical mayhem preceding the failure.

How many miles on the clock???

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    Go on Craigslist and buy an entire Jeep Cherokee for $1200, part it out, and you'll have a motor for free.

$1200 for a used 4.0L Jeep I-6 is borderline criminal rape.

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Are all the 4.0L's interchangeable in this this era, or do the regular Cherokee's and Wrangler's have differences... I know very little about this vehicle as for the last 5 years it has been turn key perfect. Kinda saddens me that Im actually going to have to do something besides routine maintenance.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Q; Doesn't crank at all, or just doesn't start?

Could be lots of things. Timing chain sounds about right by your brief description. The 4.0 is a tough engine, so if the chain let go, it should be perfectly repairable. They are a "non-interference" engine (the valves and pistons cannot contact each other). Still not a cheap fix if you pay someone, just because of the time involved. Not a hard job, though. Just takes a while.

I'd find a reputable, local shop and get an accurate diagnosis first.

Here is a $500 long block, if you go that way. Just swap over your accessories/fuel/ignition/etc....
    Jeep 4.o motor

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    156K.....not sure it should be repaired. Lots of miles. Issue with doing junkyard motor is it would be a junk yard motor. My buddy buy's up vehicles with blown motors, puts in the junkyard time bomb as he calls it and runs them through the auction. It is a dice roll.
    You have a better chance with Eldirectors suggestion. Might want to address the heads though. Lots of miles.

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    I intend to check the chain tomorrow, as tonight, I am cranky, and I am one smashed finger, stubbed toe, or one bad song on the radio from taking a 3/4 torque wrench and just going nuts on the Jeep. A night to recoop my mind and gather myself is in the best interest...

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    My old 1993 GC had about 250,000 miles on it when i traded. But it was on it's 3rd motor. I bought it used, the former owner had an engine from a Dodge Ram put in it. So what we thought was a 5.2 was actually a 5.7.
    The motor was great, but the poor Jeep was getting worn out in so many other areas! It was a beast in the snow (when we got some)! What I was getting at is that you may have other options for motors, besides Jeep. I know one day mine started running really rough, shaking and just acting like a POS. Shut it off, waited a few minutes, and it started fine and ran fine. :dunno: Are you going to be able to put the motor in yourself? There are a few jeep forums out there that may be able to help. I've been around vehicles and helped work on them a little, my ex worked as a mechanic, plus Ed insists that I need to know whatever he is doing to my Jeep! The fact that you didn't get any warning from your gauges may be a good sign. Ed and I had to replace the "brain" in my old Jeep, too. That solved some glitches it was having.

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    At the same time I am seeing the big picture. My wife wasnt driving to work at an early hour on her own, my kids werent in there when it was below zero out with 6 inches of snow. We werent in a different county. My dad was 3 minutes away, and at the same time I am calling my dad, a buddy pulled in behind me noticing that something didnt seem right. God was looking out for me, and I am very thankful for that. The situation could have been much much worse.

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Cindy, she was running like a champ all morning, then it went FUBAR. Im praying for a timing chain. I can do those. Non-interference motor makes me happy...

J10

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Morgan County
    From what i know, it is a non-interference engine and it uses a timing chain.

I think that eliminates that part. So maybe a clogged oil passage and seized bearing / piston?

When you try to start it is there a whine or binding sound from the starter or is there just nothing there?

Top Bottom