Jeep woes, and I dont know what to do with it..

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I drove my first Wrangler to Indy from Colorado Springs and it had 178K on the motor when I left there. That thing ran 75-80mph all the way back, through the August heat and never skipped a beat. With no air conditioning the wife and I were dehydrated like beef jerky but the Jeep was solid. The 4.0 is a great engine and likely worth repairing having only 156K on it. I'm betting it isn't something devastating or cost prohibitive to repair. Good luck!

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    I drove my first Wrangler to Indy from Colorado Springs and it had 178K on the motor when I left there. That thing ran 75-80mph all the way back, through the August heat and never skipped a beat. With no air conditioning the wife and I were dehydrated like beef jerky but the Jeep was solid. The 4.0 is a great engine and likely worth repairing having only 156K on it. I'm betting it isn't something devastating or cost prohibitive to repair. Good luck!

Finally, an Optimist!

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    From what i know, it is a non-interference engine and it uses a timing chain.

I think that eliminates that part. So maybe a clogged oil passage and seized bearing / piston?

When you try to start it is there a whine or binding sound from the starter or is there just nothing there?

The starter is engaging, but like the flywheel is froze in place. SO no official turning over, but the starter is functioning..

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    colorado
    when you get the flywheel exposed ,use a large screw driver in the teeth to try and pry the engine one way and then the other,if you can't make her move that way ,stick a fork in her she's done

J10

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Morgan County
    You know, it is possible that, since you had oil pressure and all other gauges showed normal engine function that the problem is not the engine but a seized torque converter. I have heard of them seizing and a quick Google search turned up several results where i happened to Jeeps. When the torque converter seizes, i believe it "locks up" so that it is like starting the car "in gear".

Might try and see if the car will crank with the tranny in neutral.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis

I second that. I have 254K on my 4.0 and it is still going strong. They are well built engines.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    colorado
    You know, it is possible that, since you had oil pressure and all other gauges showed normal engine function that the problem is not the engine but a seized torque converter. I have heard of them seizing and a quick Google search turned up several results where i happened to Jeeps. When the torque converter seizes, i believe it "locks up" so that it is like starting the car "in gear".

Might try and see if the car will crank with the tranny in neutral.
    While you can never say never,I was a tech for 23 years ending 2 years ago and I never saw this.
    even a torque convertor siezed in the bushing would probably be overcome by the starter motor.
    at any rate shifting into neutral will prove nothing.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    At the same time I am seeing the big picture. My wife wasnt driving to work at an early hour on her own, my kids werent in there when it was below zero out with 6 inches of snow. We werent in a different county. My dad was 3 minutes away, and at the same time I am calling my dad, a buddy pulled in behind me noticing that something didnt seem right. God was looking out for me, and I am very thankful for that. The situation could have been much much worse.

^^Yup! I had an old Monte Carlo that the ex and I drove up here for Christmas one year, with our new baby daughter, from Louisiana. Car ran great the whole trip, got back to LA, and broke down about a mile from home! Whew! I'm still crossing my fingers that your repairs are minor!

long coat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Avon
    Our Jeep has 227K on it with trans trouble. The 5.2 V8 never gave us any trouble.

Hope its an easy fix.
    I have seen newer Jeeps on craigslist for for under $1K with bad trans/motors. You could pick up one and make one good one & still have spare parts.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    It'd be a pretty rare thing for a 4.0 to fail with that kind of mileage, but if you heard a rod knock followed by it seizing, your ears probably didn't lie to you.

rotortech

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Pull the spark plugs and see if it cranks over. A bad gasket can allow coolant to fill one cylinder and cause a hydraulic lock. It can happen to any engine and it can happen while it is running. My neighbor experienced this last year. Anyway, it is easy to check. If one cylinder shoots water out, then it is a gasket job of some sort.

J10

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Morgan County
    While you can never say never,I was a tech for 23 years ending 2 years ago and I never saw this.
    even a torque convertor siezed in the bushing would probably be overcome by the starter motor.
    at any rate shifting into neutral will prove nothing.

:bowdown:
    Thanks for correcting me.

I believe i will never fully understand how an automatic transmission works. Dang'd things are magic.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    :bowdown:
    Thanks for correcting me.

I believe i will never fully understand how an automatic transmission works. Dang'd things are magic.

Pumps/fluid/clutch packs and a torque multiplier (converter) which basically is a fluid coupling instead of a direct mechanical link. Not so much magic.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    Are all the 4.0L's interchangeable in this this era, or do the regular Cherokee's and Wrangler's have differences... I know very little about this vehicle as for the last 5 years it has been turn key perfect. Kinda saddens me that Im actually going to have to do something besides routine maintenance.

Cherokee and Grand's have differences in motors. A friends Grand blew a motor also and he bought a Cherokee motor and it just sitting not in a Jeep (I need a part I am thinking about buying the part off it).

Top Bottom