• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    When it rains it pours. It's been an interesting year....

Lars presented at an international conference for BSD.
    We contemplated moving to Manhattan to work for Google.
    We finalized the adoption of our daughter.
    Lars wrote an article for an international BSD magazine, based on his presentation, that ended up being the cover article that month. It came out on his birthday. :)
    We started thinking about moving to TX or CA to further his career.
    He was laid off from his job two days later.
    He was offered a new job at a Fortune *50* company two more days later.

So... we're moving to TX. Like.. this week.
    Well, he is. They're flying him out on Friday to sign the paperwork, and he starts the following Monday. I'll follow with the baby in February.

So... anyone in the market for a house in Fishers? It has a nice gun safe... :p

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Congrats. With everything that's going on these days, it's great to hear of someone making the bigtime :) Hope the house sells well, mine in Carmel has a nice safe, too.

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    WOW this is a perfect example of why when people say to me its only a few weeks or a month I just kinda shake my head. Your entire life can change completely in a week hell even in a day. Its always been fun reading your posts I hate to see ya go, but just cause your movin doesn't mean you cant still hang out on INGO. Last I heard they had this new fangled thing in Texas called the internet, I think Al Gore created it... :D

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    WOW this is a perfect example of why when people say to me its only a few weeks or a month I just kinda shake my head. Your entire life can change completely in a week hell even in a day. Its always been fun reading your posts I hate to see ya go, but just cause your movin doesn't mean you cant still hang out on INGO. Last I heard they had this new fangled thing in Texas called the internet, I think Al Gore created it... :D
    Yeah.. I know. Don't think you guys are getting rid of me THAT easily. ;) Now, I just need to research gun laws in TX. Where's Kirk when you need him? :n00b:

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    Yeah.. I know. Don't think you guys are getting rid of me THAT easily. ;) Now, I just need to research gun laws in TX. Where's Kirk when you need him? :n00b:

Kirk Smirk lol. I got help from Al Gore...

The Basics

Q: How long is the waiting period to buy a Handgun / Shotgun / Rifle in Texas?
    A: There is no waiting period for purchasing a firearm in the state of Texas.
    Q: I just moved to Texas, do I have to register my firearms?
    A: No, there is no state registration of firearms.
    Q: I just inherited / bought a gun from someone in Texas, do I need to transfer the gun to my name?
    A: No, there is no state registration of firearms, thus there is no requirement transfer the firearm in your name.
    Q: What is required to purchase a firearm in the state of Texas?
    A: You will need a valid state-issued ID. Many FFLs will not sell to out-of-state residents. This is due to the FFL's requirement to uphold your resident state's gun laws, and the inherient complexity associated with many states.
    Q: Can I carry a firearm on my person?
    A: Yes, with proper licensing (Concealed Handgun License) you may carry a pistol or revolver on your person so long as it remains concealed. Long guns (rifles / shotguns) do not have to be concealed, but must be carried in a manner not calculated to cause alarm, and do not require a license.
    Q: Can I strap a gun on my hip in Texas?
    A: No, with some exceptions. Open carry is not legal in Texas, but you may open carry on your own property, in the commission of a sporting activity (competition, shooting ranges, etc.), and while engaged in hunting.
    Q: Can I carry a firearm in my vehicle?
    A: Yes. With the passage of the Motorist Protection Act you may now readibly carry handguns, loaded and within reach, so long as you conceal the firearm. Long guns (rifles / shotguns) do not have to be concealed and may be loaded and within reach.
    Q: Are machine guns / suppressors / short-barreled firearms, etc. legal in the state of Texas?
    A: Yes. All NFA rules apply. See this FAQ for more info regarding Class III / Title II items.
    Q: Are "assault weapons" banned in Texas?
    A: No. Texas abides by Federal law which at this time has no restrictions on so-called "assault weapons" such as semi-auto AR15, FAL, G3 / HK91 rifles.
    Q: Is there a limit on the number of rounds a magazine may hold?
    A: No. The only limit on magazines in Texas is the number of rounds you are physically able to cram into the thing and/or carry and/or afford.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    Kirk Smirk lol. I got help from Al Gore...

The Basics

Q: How long is the waiting period to buy a Handgun / Shotgun / Rifle in Texas?
    A: There is no waiting period for purchasing a firearm in the state of Texas.
    Q: I just moved to Texas, do I have to register my firearms?
    A: No, there is no state registration of firearms.
    Q: I just inherited / bought a gun from someone in Texas, do I need to transfer the gun to my name?
    A: No, there is no state registration of firearms, thus there is no requirement transfer the firearm in your name.
    Q: What is required to purchase a firearm in the state of Texas?
    A: You will need a valid state-issued ID. Many FFLs will not sell to out-of-state residents. This is due to the FFL's requirement to uphold your resident state's gun laws, and the inherient complexity associated with many states.
    Q: Can I carry a firearm on my person?
    A: Yes, with proper licensing (Concealed Handgun License) you may carry a pistol or revolver on your person so long as it remains concealed. Long guns (rifles / shotguns) do not have to be concealed, but must be carried in a manner not calculated to cause alarm, and do not require a license.
    Q: Can I strap a gun on my hip in Texas?
    A: No, with some exceptions. Open carry is not legal in Texas, but you may open carry on your own property, in the commission of a sporting activity (competition, shooting ranges, etc.), and while engaged in hunting.
    Q: Can I carry a firearm in my vehicle?
    A: Yes. With the passage of the Motorist Protection Act you may now readibly carry handguns, loaded and within reach, so long as you conceal the firearm. Long guns (rifles / shotguns) do not have to be concealed and may be loaded and within reach.
    Q: Are machine guns / suppressors / short-barreled firearms, etc. legal in the state of Texas?
    A: Yes. All NFA rules apply. See this FAQ for more info regarding Class III / Title II items.
    Q: Are "assault weapons" banned in Texas?
    A: No. Texas abides by Federal law which at this time has no restrictions on so-called "assault weapons" such as semi-auto AR15, FAL, G3 / HK91 rifles.
    Q: Is there a limit on the number of rounds a magazine may hold?
    A: No. The only limit on magazines in Texas is the number of rounds you are physically able to cram into the thing and/or carry and/or afford.
    Sexy. The other locale we were looking at was CA. I'd have had to sell my entire collection because of the shoulder thingy that goes up! (Well, that, and the fact that NONE of our guns has a 10- round magazine.)

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    Sexy. The other locale we were looking at was CA. I'd have had to sell my entire collection because of the shoulder thingy that goes up! (Well, that, and the fact that NONE of our guns has a 10- round magazine.)

Yea no OC in Texas but that wouldn't bother me I'm a CC guy anyway. But Commiefornia home of the 10 round mag and the bullet button I don't think I could hang with that...

http://youtu.be/VseNzVcIjtc

todkapuz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2011
    Carmel, IN
    So... anyone in the market for a house in Fishers? It has a nice gun safe... :p

Only if you buy my house back in houston in turn :P

Texas is not too bad. You don't need a license to carry in your car (but it has to be concealed). But if you want to carry anywhere else, then have to get the Texas CHL... which really is a pretty straight forward process, but you do have to take a class and put shots on paper at a range. It is concealed only, however.. even printing can be considered OC, and OC is strictly forbidden (you might find yourself downtown). For me that meant I didn't carry as much as I would like (warm weather and hard to find a decent carry option). They do have a sign exception in Texas... if you see a sign saying "per 30.06" ... yeah, that sign has the force of law... if you are carrying beyond that sign, it is illegal (not quite like the "no guns" here were its just trespass). And also look out for the red sign with a 51% on it... if an establishment gets 51% or more of its income from the sale of alcohol, can't carry there either (they are supposed to post the sign to let you know that.. you'll learn about it in the class).

Otherwise, I miss Texas, especially now that its starting to snow here.. . the novelty of snow is really wearing off on me.

Good luck!

rbrthenderson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    The Moon
    I'm in the Fort Worth area. I've got range recommendations if you're headed this direction. Be nice to see and INGO member down here.

I love it here. The CHL is a little more of a hassle than the LTCH, but it's easy to get used to. I never really open carried anyway but it would be nice to have the option.

Good Luck on your move!

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    :eek: Wow! What a year!

Glad to hear everything worked out and seems like the future is looking up for your family! I am glad to have had the pleasure of meeting both of you at a meetup a couple years back.
    Don't forget about us and please forgive us when we are cursing you while we are still shoveling snow in the winter up here!!! ;)
    Best of luck to you and Lars! :ingo:

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    There are parts of TX that I absolutely love. I moved to Indiana from Hill Country about 12 years ago and miss it quite a bit sometimes.
    Bass fishing is awesome, if you're into fishing. Crappie too. :-)

Get used to people calling you "Hon" and "Sweetie" a lot, even if you dont know them. It's just being polite.

Good luck to you both!

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Pami, both you and Lars will be missed, don't forget to drop in and say hi! Congrats on Lars landing a great job, I'm sure he will do well.

AmericanBob

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    wow, congrats on everything. i know jacky and i haven't seen you guys in a while, so it's nice to see everything is going well. good luck with the move and everything else!

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    Congrats on the new job for Lars! and the move they have very mild winters there, hope you don't forget us here on INGO, prayers sent that all goes well in the move!

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    I miss Texas, especially now that its starting to snow here.. .

Good luck!

There are parts of TX that I absolutely love. I moved to Indiana from Hill Country about 12 years ago and miss it quite a bit sometimes.

Good luck to you both!
    Ditto. I lived there for a year back in 2000, and I've been begging to move back ever since I landed back on my feet here. I'm worried about Lars and the heat, but I am positively thrilled. :D

Top Bottom