• Status
    Not open for further replies.

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    What's the big deal? I don't understand why they call it quick change. It sure as hell can't be.

I can see the barrel nut but I don't see how the rail is secured to the nut. There will be a long tool needed to slide over the barrel to engage the reliefs on that nut. The end will accept a 3/8" ratchet. You'll have to remove the gas block to slide the wrench over the barrel.

They don't give any indication the rails is a two piece but I suspect it is and those barrel flats are for aligning it to the upper.

The more I look at it the more I am confused but the more I am certain nothing about the barrel is Quick Change.

El Cazador

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    NW Hendricks CO
    "3-30 round P-Mags included"

Boy, that ought to make Ol' Bill walk around a bit at night.

And a $1995 MSRP ought to mean a $1500-$1600 rifle after the newness wears off, unless Ruger tries to control the mark-up, or whatever the uniqueness of the rifle is really shines.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    Does a piston system in an AR platform make it more reliable , as opposed to an AK type rifle ?

I guess what I'm getting at is , aren't the AR's machined tightly and not real big on going bang in a crappy environment , or does a piston improve reliability ?

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    "No honest man needs more than 90 rounds."

They really should have introduced this 2 years ago. I'm never going to buy one at $2k or even the 16-1800 they'll sell at but they're still interesting. At least this is another big name set against an AWB or whatever else.

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    Piston system has nothing to do with why an AK's parts are made to fit loosely or why an AR15 designed without a piston was designed with tighter fitting parts.

They both have the same tolerances, it's the tightness of how the parts fit together that is the main difference.

A lot of rifles with tightly fit parts use pistons...

But to answer your question, the piston supposedly makes an AR15 run cleaner and the bolt run cooler which normally attribute to causing malfunctions and therefore not as reliable as possible. Whether it's worth using a piston remains to be seen.

They work well without them. They are not necessary. No need to retrofit one. Maybe it's neat to buy one with a piston.

4PWW9

Marksman
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Mishawaka
    There's nothing being done on the Ruger SR556 that hasn't been done before. Stoner had the piston drive AR's figured out back in the 60's. And piston systems have been around much longer, the short stroke used on the M1 Carbine is probably one of the best, same principal used on the new FN SCAR rifles. Piston Drive operating systems dominate military small arms platforms, obviously the most reliable way of self-loading applications, belt fed machine guns included. Should be interesting to see comments from actual owners of the SR556 once they start shipping from the factory.
    It's my understanding Ruger is going to offer a few variations of the SR556 platform, like most other builders do.
    That quad rail handguard on the SR556 is a one-piece extrusion, comes off easily.

Culpepper

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Indiana
    You don't set the "torque" on any QCB. It's in the design.

Part #79 shown in the above schematic is the same type stud pin used for barrel alignment to the reciever as used with every M16 & AR15 out there, nothing different with that.

The barrel stud on the AR15/M16 family is part of the barrel and not a separate piece. According to the schematic that pin is removable.

There are some QCB that require torque, for instance the LMT MRP.

LMTMonoBarrelinstall.jpg

JosephR
    According to the pictures and the schematics, Ruger has drilled the upper below the sight rail and uses two roll pins and some type of connecting block to attach the rail to the upper. Part #66 is the attachement pin.

Interesting lock. I am sure that it would not cause any damage to the receiver, upper or bolt if the bolt release was hit.

RugerAR-556lock.jpg

Last edited:

4PWW9

Marksman
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Mishawaka
    If you take another look at any AR15/M16 barrel you'll see that the barrel indexing stud, used for barrel alignment to the receiver, is a seperate piece. It is press fit thru the barrel extension and is not meant to be removed at the end user level and for the most part it is impossible to do so without drilling it out. I think you'll find the Ruger SR556 has an identical set-up.
    As for Quick-Change Barrels the LMT MRP and SR556 do not have one. Changeable, yes, but not quick to do. Both require more than a minute to remove/replace. True QCB's require no tools or torque settings and take only seconds to change. Some Examples would be the M60, MG34, MG3, M249 & new M2E2 .50BMG machine guns.

Culpepper

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Indiana
    If you take another look at any AR15/M16 barrel you'll see that the barrel indexing stud, used for barrel alignment to the receiver, is a seperate piece. It is press fit thru the barrel extension and is not meant to be removed at the end user level and for the most part it is impossible to do so without drilling it out. I think you'll find the Ruger SR556 has an identical set-up.

So the barrel stud on an AR15/M16 is not a separate piece that can be ordered and installed by an end user. It is a part of the barrel, that may be added to the barrel during manufacturing, but is not removable.

That was my point.

As for Quick-Change Barrels the LMT MRP and SR556 do not have one. Changeable, yes, but not quick to do. Both require more than a minute to remove/replace. True QCB's require no tools or torque settings and take only seconds to change. Some Examples would be the M60, MG34, MG3, M249 & new M2E2 .50BMG machine guns.
    I am sorry, I thought we were talking about AR systems and not belt fed machine guns.

Culpepper

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Indiana
    Does a piston system in an AR platform make it more reliable , as opposed to an AK type rifle ?

I guess what I'm getting at is , aren't the AR's machined tightly and not real big on going bang in a crappy environment , or does a piston improve reliability ?

All AR15/M16 weapons systems are piston systems. Direct Impingement (DI) systems have the piston (bolt) inside the bolt carrier group. This causes the carbon and unburnt power to be deposited in the receiver. Piston guns have the piston inside the front sight base. This deposits carbon and unburnt powder under the handguards. Piston gun lowers and uppers still get dirty, just not as fast.

They claim the "piston" systems are more reliable because they are "cleaner", but I have seen DI guns with 10,000 plus rounds through them, with out being cleaned, run all day. The key is lubrication. Even "piston" guns still need to be oiled.

Due to the single contact point of the piston on the BCG, the BCG is pushed down instead of straight back. This increases wear on the buffer tube, BCG and lowers and causes them to be replaced sooner.

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    So putting a piston system into an AR is now "copying the XCR"? I know you're a fan, but come on.

I'm sorry, your're all knowing one, for having offended thee. Please, show me mercy as you see it.

I didn't saying about putting a piston in an AR 'copies' an XCR. So, where did you read that? Another forum?

Which one? I'll go over to that one and see if I posted something like that over there...:rolleyes:

EDIT: Let this be added to my original, 'looks like they copied, the XCR, POF, LWRC; AFTER Bushmaster/Magpul did'.

There, perhaps this ease the tension of a 'writer's cramp'.

Last edited:

chrissmallwood

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2008
    Seymour, IN
    Even though some of you may not like Ruger or some of their products and past decisions you honestly cant tell me that them producing AR's is going to be anything other than a good thing for us. The fact that Ruger is making an AR is good for everybody because that will make 3 of Americas biggest gun makers producing AR's and will help to strengthen the common use argument. Ruger has a lot of clout with the buying public. Many ordinary people might not know who Bushmaster, DPMS, Stag or alot of the other the big AR manufacturers are but they most likely have heard of Ruger, S&W or Remington. With them producing AR's hopefully more people will start to see the AR as another commonly used rifle instead of as a so-called assualt rifle.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Heck man, it's a Ruger! I wonder who makes it for them, or do they actually make it themselves? If they do, I think in time, the price should drop and the firearms are sold.

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    If you are referring to my post, I like Ruger. I have a 10/22 that I feel would outlast even most MBRs, period. Like I said in my original post, if it runs like a 10/22, what NOT would there be to like about it?

We shall wait and see though. Some of the conversions, and some companies in general have made piston guns/conversions with inadequately made op-rods and parts that cannot withstand the battering that takes place.

That being said, Ruger has the means to make a gun piston gun; they have stuck it out with the LCPs this far.

For the price, I think it'd be great to, like you said, to get a major company on track making ARs better running machines. The platform is awesome, it just needs to take what has been learned from the FAL, M1a/M1 and AK rifles (these designs run in hard times).

Go Ruger!

Even though some of you may not like Ruger or some of their products and past decisions you honestly cant tell me that them producing AR's is going to be anything other than a good thing for us. The fact that Ruger is making an AR is good for everybody because that will make 3 of Americas biggest gun makers producing AR's and will help to strengthen the common use argument. Ruger has a lot of clout with the buying public. Many ordinary people might not know who Bushmaster, DPMS, Stag or alot of the other the big AR manufacturers are but they most likely have heard of Ruger, S&W or Remington. With them producing AR's hopefully more people will start to see the AR as another commonly used rifle instead of as a so-called assualt rifle.

dblagent

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Bloomington
    I like it overall form what I have seen, and the price does not seem unreasonable to me considering what all it comes with. I will at least look at one when they come out, affording it is not really in the books for now though lol.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    the only thing I would compare piston AR's to is an AK. following that though process I think they are more adaptable and accurate AK's in an AR skin.:twocents:

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom