Isn't it illegal to drive without your lights on?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

whoismunky

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Bloomington,IN
    Long story short, I was coming home from getting a chicken club the night before last around 12:30am...for about two and a half blocks a marked Bloomington police officer followed me until I pulled into my residence with all of his lights off. The only reason I could think of was I looked suspicious from following the traffic laws to such a T, lol. But seriously though, isn't it illegal to drive at night without headlights? :dunno:

us_agent

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    They can site you for sure. I would have let him know he needed to turn on his lights or called the station and made a complaint.

Keyser Soze

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    All police officers working nights at one point in time or another, have operated their vehicle on a public road with no headlights. Two blocks, they probably just forgot.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    It's a police tactic called "traffic baiting". Similar to baiting when on foot.

Police will commit an infraction in order to have you commit an infraction in response so you can be pulled over. We see it a lot on the interstate. Officer rides your bumper to cause you to switch lanes or speed up so not to be hit or pull over in too close to the car in the other lane, you then get pulled over.

They drive up behind you so you will turn off your light and then flip them back off to signal them. The police then pull you over for failure to use your lights.

Not every officer does it, but you need to be aware of it. Just be cool, drive safely and blow kisses at him when he passes you giving you the #1 signal.:D

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    It's a police tactic called "traffic baiting". Similar to baiting when on foot.

Police will commit an infraction in order to have you commit an infraction in response so you can be pulled over. We see it a lot on the interstate. Officer rides your bumper to cause you to switch lanes or speed up so not to be hit or pull over in too close to the car in the other lane, you then get pulled over.

They drive up behind you so you will turn off your light and then flip them back off to signal them. The police then pull you over for failure to use your lights.

Not every officer does it, but you need to be aware of it. Just be cool, drive safely and blow kisses at him when he passes you giving you the #1 signal.:D

You have got to be kidding me. I don't know anyone who did this when I was a LEO. I am not saying it never happens, but I don't think it is the common practice you make it out to be. Besides, it sounds more like something a lawyer would do.:):

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Used to be real common in the South for cops to black out a single headlight to bait people. Going without any lights just sounds like par for the course for someone looking to entrap you. Fortunately, you managed to obey rule #1 and made it home safe at the end of the day.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I don't like writing tickets anyway. Sure as hell don't want to create reason to stop someone. There are enough bad drivers on the road that I don't need to make them.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Mr. J., remember, 1* . . . ours.:D

I don't know anyone who did this when I was a LEO. I am not saying it never happens, but I don't think it is the common practice you make it out to be.

You need to get out more and read more police reports and watch more in car cameras.:laugh:

The craze a few years ago used to be license plates lights. Now, because of increased federal funding and diversion money, they are going to baiting. I think we'll see more it.

It's the driver vs. the cop, guess who the heavily favored pony is.:D Besides, if the cop does net something, no way a judge is going to let federal funding fly out the window by ruling against baiting.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Sure as hell don't want to create reason to stop someone. There are enough bad drivers on the road that I don't need to make them.

Then tell your buddies at ISP to stay off my bumper on I-65. It's like they want to drive into the bed of my pickup truck and hitch a ride.:D

This reminds me, I need to get a swivel for my car camera.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    If they need a lift, just have them call the office. No reason to draft off my truck all the way down to Indy. I'm not moving or speeding up as I've read that police report before.:D

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Mr. J., remember, 1* . . . ours.:D

You need to get out more and read more police reports and watch more in car cameras.:laugh:

The craze a few years ago used to be license plates lights. Now, because of increased federal funding and diversion money, they are going to baiting. I think we'll see more it.

It's the driver vs. the cop, guess who the heavily favored pony is.:D Besides, if the cop does net something, no way a judge is going to let federal funding fly out the window by ruling against baiting.

Interesting side note. We were on vacation last week. We drove from Berrien county, MI via 31 south to Indy then towards cincy and so on to Pigeon Forge, TN. Anyway, on the way down, we saw or passed around 25 police cars. I actually counted 13 for the time we were in Indiana. That is a new record for me. On a positive note, I managed to not be baited into getting pulled over.:laugh:

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    I drive with my headlights off all the damn time. I'm not trying to bait people into anything. I'm simply trying to catch people walking around in neighborhoods at night that could be breaking into homes or cars.

I have stopped people for driving without their headlights on or with one headlight out, just to let them know. People with one light out are usually unaware of the issue and people with no lights on are usually, elderly, drunk, or just bought the car and don't know how to turn them on.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom