• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    A business buys a gun from a distributer, they have to sell that gun. If they change it, then it is no longer the gun they bought and they are breaking the rules without a manufacturer's license.
    So is a car dealer manufacturing a car by changing out the rims and tires? Thats the BS part about swapping uppers.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    I believe at least part of the reason is taxes, there is an excise tax based on the value of the firearm when it leaves the manufacturer. That tax is 10% on handguns and 11% on all other firearms and ammo. Component parts sold separately are not taxed. It's why you can buy a complete lower and a complete upper from let's say PSA and it will cost less than the two of them assembled. And yes that tax is supposed to be paid when a firearm or ammo is "further manufactured".

Ok, at least that makes some sense... at least a lot more that most of ATF's BS.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Yes, that's what I'm seeing also... and it's very concerning as they also included "just" swapping out a complete upper on an already "complete" AR.

And, the big concern I have is for individuals... if putting together a complete upper with a complete lower is "manufacturing" a new firearm, let alone building from a stripped lower and parts kits, what kind of regulatory BS are they going to seek to put on individuals if we eventually sell that firearm from our collection?
    Jus another front in the war against the most popular rifle out there…

Top Bottom