• KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Maybe @texkev can look at PMs (but I don’t think so). I know I can‘t with the permissions I have. Sometimes we can glean information from IP addresses, etc. and sometimes @KellyinAvon or @Cameramonkey or @d.kaufman or @mom45 has a 6th sense about some folks. Absent those kinds of red flags, it doesn’t sound like the member broke any rules. (This is exactly why some INGOers will refuse to do business with low-post-count users).
    I think texkev said he can't see PMs either. The only way the staff can see them is if it is reported.

GFGT is right on sometimes you just get a feeling. We field reports that are "something doesn't seem right here."

As far as @Bassat 's concerns: as the seller you set the terms. Your terms may include "I'm not selling to anyone who hasn't been vetted by the process of having X number of posts and I need to see an IN DL and LTCH." That could be for a handgun, ammo, a fish tank, artwork (Elvis on black velvet or dogs playing poker, don't see a lot of Monet prints here) you get the idea. Staff's position: if it's within the rules, we good.

Back to the "Site Supporter with ZERO posts": some are just new to the site. Some know the staff can't see PMs and are up to skullduggery and foul play. Staff can see PMs by hitting the report button. With no posts it's really hard to find a user. Hitting report makes it A WHOLE LOT easier.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Who produces a better profit margin?

The $20.00 a year thats paid to stay a
    Site Supporter with single digit posting.
    Or
    The member that does 52 posts and works the classifieds for years?

I would guess The Site Supporter.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I recently posted in the WTS section. I've had a few queries from INGO members; all well and good. I got one response, "Hey, I don't have a LTCH, but would love to buy your gun." Or words to that effect. At the time I got the request, this member had been on the site for less than 24 hours. He has posted nothing, ever. I politely informed him that I could not do business with him. His response was likewise gracious. Since that exchange, I have looked at his profile several times. He has still posted nothing. Everytime I look at his profile, he was most recently seen looking at another WTS ad. Perhaps it is just me, but this smells funny. I don't think the ATFE operates this way. I don't believe this type of behaviour should be permitted on INGO, though I admit having no idea how to stop it. Is what this guy is doing acceptable? Oh, by the way, he paid his $20; he is listed as site supporter. Mods, please take this as permission to open any/all of my private messages to look into this.

Thats the nice thing about private sales or even selling a gun in a shop as the owner or an employee. If you don't feel comfortable with the sale then you have every right to say no.
    I'd rather error on the side of caution than one of my personal firearms being involved in a crime if I could have prevented it. Or make an illegal sale.
    Cover your own ass, always

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    Thats the nice thing about private sales or even selling a gun in a shop as the owner or an employee. If you don't feel comfortable with the sale then you have every right to say no.
    I'd rather error on the side of caution than one of my personal firearms being involved in a crime if I could have prevented it. Or make an illegal sale.
    Cover your own ass, always
    Bingo! We have a winner.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Ok. I suppose it looks like I over reacted. Perhaps.

If you have a question, ALWAYS ask the question.
    Better than not knowing.

As others have mentioned, he (or she) doesn't need a LTCH.

And as the seller, you have the right to not sell.
    You can require the LTCH if you want, or not require it.
    You can look at his post history and deny the sale because of not liking it, or because of a lack of history.

It is a voluntary transaction, on both sides.

And I repeat... Always ask the question. Better to find out.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    Exactly.

Has the gun sold yet? Which one are we talking about?

:dunno:
    Not sold, yet.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Someone help me out here.
    Is there a legal requirement to present a LTCH when purchasing a gun through a private sale? I didn't think there was.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    Someone help me out here.
    Is there a legal requirement to present a LTCH when purchasing a gun through a private sale? I didn't think there was.
    No, there is not.

However, if you knowingly sell to a felon, that's illegal.

Some people see a LTCH as evidence that a person is not a felon, and therefore require it for a sale for their own piece of mind.

There have been several threads hashing out why someone would or wouldn't or should or shouldn't do this, but ultimately it's up to the seller, and not a legal requirement.

(IANAL, nothing above is legal advice. I am also not a mod, and nothing above is INGO rule advice. :))

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    No, there is not.

However, if you knowingly sell to a felon, that's illegal.

Some people see a LTCH as evidence that a person is not a felon, and therefore require it for a sale for their own piece of mind.

There have been several threads hashing out why someone would or wouldn't or should or shouldn't do this, but ultimately it's up to the seller, and not a legal requirement.

(IANAL, nothing above is legal advice. I am also not a mod, and nothing above is INGO rule advice. :))
    That's what I thought thanks.

I wonder, do you think it's possible that a person could get a LTCH and then sometime after that collect a felony charge. Then present said LTCH during a private sale? Or do the authorities take away your little pink card upon a felony conviction?

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    That's what I thought thanks.

I wonder, do you think it's possible that a person could get a LTCH and then sometime after that collect a felony charge. Then present said LTCH during a private sale? Or do the authorities take away your little pink card upon a felony conviction?
    Nope, nothing would stop someone from doing that. That point was also brought up in the thread I saw on the subject, and, IIRC, the folks who liked to see a LTCH were saying that it's not so much about it proving that someone isn't a felon, but just that it gives them something they could point to in their own defense and say that they were at least doing some sort of due diligence to try an not sell to a felon.

Top Bottom