Is it legal to kill chipmunks that are causing damage?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Wasn't there a hillbilly jackwagon somewhere that poured gas down the holes, dropped in a match and blowed his house up? Might just be urban or rather rural legend. But I bet he killed every last one of the little suckers.

What is a hillbilly jackwagon :rolleyes:

backfire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 6, 2011
    I have an inground swimming pool and have experienced the very same dilemma the O.P. is going through, so I know your plight! If you want a GAURANTEED, 100% EFFECTIVE way to get rid of ALL of them, (and having the personal satisfaction of ridding yourself of the little buggers) use a method I've used for myself over the last 3 years. Interested? Read on.... :cool:

1. First, find out where their "run patterns" are in your yard or on your property. It's likely you've already observed this..

2. Get a clean 5 gallon bucket and fill it about half-way full of water.

3. Place the bucket of water near, but not in the direct path of their regular "run patterns", so it peaks their interest.

4. Cut a wooden 2x4 about 3'-4' long and lay one end on topside edge of the bucket, favoring one side more than the other.

5. Cut a wooden broom handle about 2' long and lay that across the topside opening edge of the busket of water, keeping it perpendicular to the end of the 2x4. Make sure the broom handle can "roll" across the topside bucket edges easily when moved.

6. Go to the hardware store and buy a few packetts of pumpkin seeds. They're super cheap and available anywhere..

7. After you've washed your hands, lay a random trail of pumpkin seeds up the 2x4 as a "food trail"

8. Place a few more pumpkin seeds along the broom handle's length that's over the bucket's mouth, spacing them farther apart than what you did on the 2x4.

9. Pour a full packett of pumpkin seeds into the water, as they will float on top.

10. Set your fresh trap up for early morning or early evening and set back to watch the fun! :):

Here's how it works....

Chipmunks are seed foragers and they are always looking for fresh, juicy seeds to eat- especially in the Spring and even more so when they are trying to feed their young. They will eat just about any seed eagerly, but they just simply can't resist flavorful, plump, juicy pumpkin seeds!!!

They will be running their regular "run patterns" in the early morning or early evenings when it's cool, when they notice the wonderful buffet you've set up for them.. They will be delighted to follow your trail of seeds up the 2x4, as they pack their cheeks with more and more; then, they will look down into the water when they get to the top and discover they've hit the seed motherload!! They cannot resist their find and they'll try to hoard it to keep competitors from getting it. Their greed is their undoing!

Once they scamper onto the broom handle to get the last few seeds you placed there and in the water, the broom handle will spin over, they will lose their footing and they will fall into the water. Since they can't get over the tall sides of the inside of the bucket, nor can they climb out or swim for long, they will drown within minutes and the score will now be, Property Owner= 1 Ground Rats= 0!

Lather, rinse and repeat this as many times as necessary to re-gain control of them- but be prepared....if your property is really infested, you'll be really busy re-baiting and re-setting your traps!

*The key to 100% effectiveness of this method, is always use fresh seeds, keep the bucket clean and always re-fill with fresh water after each score.

I gaurantee you my gun collection that if you do this, you WILL win in the end! I nailed 11 of them in 5 weeks last year doing this and this Spring, I haven't seen a one yet!! :rockwoot:

Good luck my friend! :yesway:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    I live in city limits and I have moles that are doing some pretty bad damage... Been trying to think of a good way to get rid of them. I know it's a bit of a derailment - but generally you're not going to see moles above ground... Any ideas?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0Hx5ka1FiA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0Hx5ka1FiA[/ame]

Roscoe38

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    I use live traps. Every spring I'll get anywhere from two to ten of the little "DARLINGS" Just (the humane way) take them somewhere uninhabited at least 5 miles away and let them go. But with gas at $3.99 a gallon. Just drop ther trap with critter inside in a full of water 5 gallon bucket. 15 minutes later drop the carcass in the trash and reset the trap. Sunflower seeds work well and they are cheap.

Last edited:

Mike.B

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    Grant County
    Damn, I'm lucky. The dog kills opossum, eats rabbit and kills squirrels. The cat kills ground hogs. I just have to pick up the occasional torso, ear or whatever may have it.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I used to trap them with a live trap, as did a friend of mine. We used to joke about doing a "drive-by chipmunking" where we'd drive up to someone's place and open the trap to let the little bugger jump out. I usually just dyed them with food coloring so I could see if they came back, then let them out in the park. I caught one once and was going to experiment on it to try out repellents, but my cat got it out of the aquarium and I had to shoot it.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Damn, I'm lucky. The dog kills opossum, eats rabbit and kills squirrels. The cat kills ground hogs. I just have to pick up the occasional torso, ear or whatever may have it.

Cat kills GROUNDHOGS???!!?!?!?

How big IS your cat?

I live in the woods in the middle of 60 acres so the .17 mach2 is my chipmunk control of choice. Australian shepherd gets the moles.

.40caltrucker

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Something definitely failed but I'm not convinced it was the thread.

You and this thread have failed miserably. This has been tried before right here on INGO https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break_room/133415-semi_driver_mangles_school_buses.html :noway::noway:

serpicostraight is an ass and should be banned, he brings nothing of value to this site. NOTHING. That's what you should have made this thread about, not his chosen profession.

I know his kind, he is the guy in the back of the truck stop looking for lot lizards EVERY NIGHT. He's the guy who tries to back into the easiest spot 20 times before giving up and parking next the scales. Then he goes into the truck stop and brags about how good of a driver he is. He probably works for Swift or Schneider because nobody else will hire him. I'm even willing to bet his wife left him for another woman. Probably a woman cop. That would explain a lot now wouldn't it?

Now Phylodog, I'm not sure if you've ever read any of my posts or not. I have spent time defending cops when they were right and bashing the ones who were wrong. Here is the last cop thread I have posted in https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...cussion/200464-another_punk_with_a_badge.html I see you even posted in there. As far as I know only 1 truck driver was bashing cops there and 1 truck driver was defending cops. When will you look into the professions of everyone else and bash them?:popcorn:

Now Phylodog is on the same worthless list as serpicostraight.

Interestingly enough I logged in a week ago to look into become an advertiser on this site and came across this thread first. I'm glad I did, I wouldn't want to spend my money not only supporting this site but advertising on it also. Sucks for INGO that those 2 morons are making this site lose money now.

Now for everyone wanting to see a shooter. Here's your chance, ban me PLEASE so I wont even be tempted to come back. I can start spewing off 4 letter words if you need me to. One way or another you will have to ban me and while your at it ban my IP I will get my gun news from somewhere else.

Last edited:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    For both Chipmunks and moles, simply put mothballs down the holes you can find.

Mothballs will rob the oxygen from the air in the hole and they will leave of their own free will.

You can also use Wriggley's spearmint gum for moles. Roll it up like a worm and place in the hole. Moles cannot digest the gum, and they cannot regergitate. They are litterally constipated to death.

beagle

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    N.W. Indiana
    Moth balls worked great for me. I had six or seven exit/entry holes around the exterior of my garage with several trails leading out from the holes. I stuffed about seven or eight moth balls down into each hole and covered the holes with dirt. the little buggers were gone within a week. Me and my grandkids had tried stuffing bottle rockets in the holes last year but that did not faze .....

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Get a Ratzapper. Toss some peanuts in, and let nature take its course. Repeat as necessary.

ratZapper2.jpg

Oops! What am I saying!?!

Top Bottom