Indianapolis, Northside.
    Pretty sure the standard sks's barrel is around 20". unlike mine :D

IMG_0011.jpg

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Thanks for the comparison! I was going to ask to see yours but wasn't sure you saw the thread...

Clay, you're def'lly looking at a 20" Norinco. I'd jump on it. Seriously. They are every bit as accurate and a LOT more than your AK and you don't have to break the bank buying more ammo and ammo cans. I'd buy it if I had the money! :D

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I just got one that was covered - inside and out - in cosmoline. Unfired!!!!!!!!

Blue is perfect on every inch. The stock had a rough
    finish varnish that looked like it had sand in it.
    Dissassembled, baked and boiled the cosmo off.
    A little citrus strip on the stock and a new coat of gunstock stain and 5 coats of tung oil later. Beautiful. Can't wait to get to the range.

anthony010

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Westfield
    I have an sks with tapko and tapko 20 round mags so I dont feel the need to buy an ak but I do want to eventually get an ar. I say if you have an ak you dont really need a sks but they are very fun, and you do already have the ammo if you wanted to get the sks at a good price.

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    I love my SKS.

Don't reall feel like I have a use for an AR where I'm at. The AR has the SKS beat on accuracy long range, but where in Indianapolis am I going to have to shoot bad guys at 600 yards? I'm stick with the Mosin in that event. SKS will take care of me just fine in a SHTF situation, with a much larger round than the 223.

SirRealism

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    I think the idea of "must have" has to take into account how many rifles you own. My first rifle was an SKS, and I'll never get rid of it. I second what 38spsecial said about the utility of it vs. an AR in most situations.

That having been said, if you already have an AR and an AK, then I might look at a Mosin. Even less expensive than an SKS, and more bang than any of the others mentioned. But if you did that, you'd have yet another caliber of ammo to buy. That's a pain.

ETA: I've never heard of anyone regret having bought an SKS or a Mosin.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    You guys are making me want to go have another SKS Shoot, but this time in the snow! It's a shame I don't have the ammo for it!

SirRealism

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    You guys are making me want to go have another SKS Shoot, but this time in the snow! It's a shame I don't have the ammo for it!

Yeah, I agree completely on all counts. Do you think your van would make it down/up that hill in Bloomington in 12" of snow? I'm sure I'd be hiking.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Yeah, I agree completely on all counts. Do you think your van would make it down/up that hill in Bloomington in 12" of snow? I'm sure I'd be hiking.

Down, yes. Up, no. :): I wouldn't mind hiking either now that I have a bag for everything. I just don't have the ammo to do so. I'm going to take it to the range again though cause I got two more mags coming that I need to test.

For all you SKS owners who use Tapco Mags.....

Unload them and take the bottom plate off. Pull the follower out and look for a burr where it's been formed together. If there's a burr there or on the back side file it off and your mags won't stick when loading and I'm hoping they won't give me anymore FTF halfway through the mag...

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus

Picts away.

I stripped it from stem to stern. Boiled the small parts, dried and oiled.
    Baked the receiver/barrel on low to get the cosmo into a liquid and then hit it
    with gun scrubber & reoiled. Came out smooth!

DSCF1rev.jpg

DSCF0006.jpg

DSCF0007.jpg

DSCF0010.jpg

DSCF0004.jpg

bad picts, crappy camera

Last edited:

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Very Clean! That's gotta be the nicest SKS I've seen next to the one my dad has. Last I saw it it was flawless like yours!

SirRealism

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    That's a nice looking SKS. Is that a Norinco?

I have a Yugo in the garage that, when time permits, I'll be cleaning and refinishing. I hope it turns out as nice.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    Granite Falls, NC
    Thats a fine looking SKS you've got there!

I dunno, I would have considered them a "must have" back when they were cheaper, but now...you'd arguably have a more versatile rifle spending the extra money to get an AK. If you can find one on the cheap, though, I'd definitely snag it up.

4PWW9

Marksman
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Mishawaka
    I agree...
    If you can find an SKS under $200, it's well worth the consideration.
    I remember the good ole days of the $69 SKS's right out of the crate, with no extra charge for a lifetime supply of cosmoline.

Top Bottom