• ...and so much more!
  • Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Im at an impasse.

Found a Norinco SKS for what I consider a good price, good enough I could put it up most places and a few bucks. Rifle looks nice, only around 250 rounds through it.

But is an SKS one of those rifles that you all would consider a "must have"? Much in the same way that most consider an AR in some form a "must have", or for others maybe an AK fits that bill. I have both of those, so what say you??

I just cant decide if I want to do this deal.

thanks,
    clay

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Okay have an AK not ARs and no plan to build upon that family yet.
    However what are you looking to do with the SKS that your AR and AK cannot do?
    Also, at least for me, I look at my firearms as just part of the package of a complete weapon system. Meaning you have the gun, but do you have the 'support equipment' for it in case the SHTF?

Ex.
    Extra Magazines
    Holster for Leg
    Holster for everyday use
    Magazine Holders
    Ammo

AK47
    Sling for AK
    Extra Magazines
    Ammo Bag or Tact Vest to hold the gear
    Case
    Gun Sock
    Cleaning Materials
    Ammo
    more Ammo
    more more ammo

=)
    You get the point right?

Slab

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    fort wayne
    I dont think so man. It keeps you in the same caliber as your AK but beyond that i dont think it will serve a specific use that an AR or AK cant fill.

buy more ammo

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Ok accuracy my butt! If it's the 20" barrel, it's accuracy is 5-10x better than the AK. The AK is EFFECTIVE out to 400yrds, but not accurate. The SKS is dam near a tack driver if it's in great condition. I would know, my Norinco is deadly accurate with iron sights at 100yrds. I've heard 500yrds with dead accuracy but I can't confirm that. If you talk to the guys at Atterbury, they'll tell you of a little old Korean lady that has one and with open sights can hit bullseye 8/10 shots everytime. If you already have an AK then you have ammo for both a CQB rifle and a much more effective medium-long range rifle. I want an AK to round out my rifle collection then I'll be happy.

Some won't consider it a "must have", but it's reliability and ease of use rival that of an AK. Ammo is fairly cheap. It's a bit heavy, but not that heavy that you can't stand and shoot accurately. The triggers can be fixed if you don't like it.

One thing to look at before the money changes hands though. rack the bolt, get it ready to fire, safety off, unloaded of course. Once you have it ready to dry fire, tap the butt on the ground. Lightly, but with some force. If it fires it has trigger issues. Not serious unless you don't get it fixed before taking it to the range. LOL

If it IS the 20", nothing over 325-350 if it's in GREAT shape. I paid 250 for mine but it had a folding stock. Mine now has the Tapco stock and I use the Tapco 20rnd Detachable Mags...

From this.....
    NorincoSKS004.jpg

To this....
    ImprovedSKS001.jpg

No longer has the Scope. Stay FAR away from the NCStar Reciever Cover Mounts. Crappy Mounts.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    If you don't have an AK, it is a yes, if you do have an AK, I'd say not so much unless you just want to standardize calibers and have a rifle with a bit longer barrel for slightly better accuracy.

I've gone the AR and SKS route. To me the AK is in the middle of the two. The SKS is the inexpensive plinker that also has some practical use if ever needed. The AR is my sports car that also gets some plinking work and would also have a purpose.

jediagh is on to something with his thread. I'm not a big SHTF / Tinfoil hat guy, but do have a basic plan in place if I need it. Part of that plan is functioning rifles and hanguns in a limited number of common calibers.

Because of the less expensive ammo, I've chosen to invest more in my SKS in terms of ammo and in making it my primary rifle.

I think the ultimate decision may come down to what do you want to do with it? Norinco SKS's don't have a huge amount of collectors appeal, but sure do make nice range rifles to blow up pop cans, milk jugs, and just make noise. If you have the money and have the other guns you want/need, I'd say go for it. If not, I'd say wait and look at investing in ammo for what you've got.

redneckjoe

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    beech grove
    yea they are

A sks is a great gun and fun and uses the same 7.62x39 that the ak uses
    so if you have both you have 2 guns that share the same ammo

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I would also like to add, that as others have said, if you have a different gun that you NEED for a certain reason, wait, save and get it. IF NOT, I would get the SKS before they ban them in the upcoming proposed AWB. They will be one on the list and if it gets sent to committee, forget ever finding an SKS under $500-600.

Hammer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    On the lake
    I have both the AK and an SKS. I usually bring both to the range when i go. I believe the SKS shots better as far as accuracy and less recoil. I look at it as a compliment to the collection.

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    For the money, why not get an SKS, if you have something in the same caliber, that seems to be standardized to me. I just put in an order for a Yugo SKS, I figured it'd be a less complicated rifle for the wife to shoot, and the stripper clips are easy and cheap. I would also like something in .308, but right now I get redundancy (as far as caliber, not parts) and for less then something in .308.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    I think that it's a good rifle for the "Battle Rifle" that everybody should have, but there are other options too..

Now, lots of folks have something that could take its place - AR, AK, M1, etc.. but when I got mine, they were coming fresh off the boat for $89.99 plus tax, rifle and a thousand rounds of ammo. My brother and I both bought one, then spent the next several days trying to figure out how to get the cosmoline off. Once that was done, though.. wow!

For a battle rifle, it does a fine job. It has run any ammo I've put in it, has done so clean and dirty, and it's accurate enough for me. I've got a boltgun with a scope if I'm really looking to "Reach out". I've got handguns for close-range. For intended purposes it'll be fine..

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    That screams 16" to me, but then again I have a 3-4" muzzle break on mine...

Very nice looking rifle. If all the numbers match, snatch that bad boy up! :D

Top Bottom