• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    Is it legal to manufacture a "zip gun" or homemade firearm?

As long as it is in the shape of a conventional handgun with a grip. If it is something like a pengun (no curve or "grip") then it is a AOW and you are required to file a Form 1 and pay a $200 AOW makers tax.

If in doubt send drawings to ATF tech branch prior to making it.

BumpShadow

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    That's wrong. You can't make a full auto just for personal use. You'd need to be an actual licensed manufacturer.

I did say paperwork right? I'm pretty sure I did. A license is made of paper, right? Just saying.

In a nutshell, the only "legal" zip gun is a single shot pistol, with a cannibalized pistol barrel. Or a single shot shotgun/rifle with a barrel at least 16 inches. I say single shot because it's surprisingly involved to make semi-auto, but easy to do full auto. Single shot is the only easy non-full auto I know of, unless you want to try bolt-action.

Davegrave

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 16, 2011
    Hammond, IN
    I did say paperwork right? I'm pretty sure I did. A license is made of paper, right? Just saying.

Kind of...but you said "if IT'S full auto" and then mentioned paperwork and stamps. Kind of sounded like you were suggested he could build himself a full auto if he went thru the ATF and got his tax stamp.

I was making sure he knew that getting the stamp only applies to pre-registered/transferable full autos and that to build a new one would require you to start a for profit business of manufacturing them for military/law enforcement.

So either you were wrong, or you were giving him advice about something completely different than what he asked, which was building A gun for HIMSELF. ;)

BumpShadow

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Kind of...but you said "if IT'S full auto" and then mentioned paperwork and stamps. Kind of sounded like you were suggested he could build himself a full auto if he went thru the ATF and got his tax stamp.

I was making sure he knew that getting the stamp only applies to pre-registered/transferable full autos and that to build a new one would require you to start a for profit business of manufacturing them for military/law enforcement.

So either you were wrong, or you were giving him advice about something completely different than what he asked, which was building A gun for HIMSELF. ;)

Even if he started a for profit business, he would still need a ATF tax stamp to make a full-auto weapon. I am not super in the know about the paperwork reguarding full-auto weapons. Which is way I was very general about what paperwork was needed. I just wanted to make the point that a full-auto would need alot of paperwork to be filled out.

Generally speaking, any "zip gun" that is not a single-shot long gun that looks basically like a gun or a small one shot smoothbore with no stock is not legal. Now how in the world they intend to enforce such rules I have no idea.

Top Bottom