• ...and so much more!
  • Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    Amazing, simply amazing, how they could lose track of so many emails in such a recent and short time period, and of such a notable person and yet never, ever lose track of so much of a single form or deduction in 40 years of some nobody like me. Amazing. :dunno:
    Yep.

(Must spread rep.)

deltaecho

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 12, 2014
    Indianapolis
    :rofl: x :rofl: ^ :rofl: x :rofl:
    If you believe that the computer crashed and they have no emails then I have a bridge I can sell you as well.

1) .GOV servers are backed up daily, weekly, and monthly.
    2) The data is also weekly removed via tape to an off-site location as well

So even if the IRS servers go bye-bye there are still backup tapes of the data.
    Not to mention the other end (white house, dept. of justice, etc.) also has a copy of the email that was sent and guess what?
    Yup those .gov servers also have the same backup procedure.

But enough of that did anyone hear about the new dancing with the stars line up for the fall.
    After all that is much more important that this small bump in the road.
    :faint:

And hey, worst case they can just call up their friends and the NSA, yeah?

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Quoted in an AP story:
    "The IRS said technicians went to great lengths trying to recover data from Lerner's computer in 2011. In emails provided by the IRS, technicians said they sent the computer to a forensic lab run by the agency's criminal investigations unit. But to no avail."

So, I'm an associate email admin for IBM Domino Lotus Notes. Not Exchange which I think the end users in .gov have now. .Gov has used Notes in the past though and the servers still might be Domino. As far as I know BOTH mail systems keep email server side and only a replica on the end user PC. Notes keeps an .nsf database file, Exchange a .pst. ALL deleted emails are backed up. My company only keeps a couple months of the deleted messages though unless we're under a law suit (frequently). ALL messages over ~15 months still in the mailfile are automatically sent to an archiver. EVERY SINGLE MESSAGE STILL IN A USERS MAILFILE WHEN A END USER'S HARD DRIVE CRASHES IS ON THE SERVER (or the archiver). THEY LOOSE NOTHING! The only thing lost would be deleted emails older than ~5 weeks.

.Gov probably has similar retention rules especially for high up officials. This lost email story is an out and out LIE!

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    But HOP the American people just don't care.
    Now move over dancing with the stars is going to start soon and i need to wait outside best buy for the new iphone.

Top Bottom