• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    How in the world do I get rid of the band of suggested words above my keyboard in iMessage? I hate it. I accidentally minimized it once, but I don't know how it happened. And now I've accidentally maximized it again and I can't get rid of it. :xmad:

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    How in the world do I get rid of the band of suggested words above my keyboard in iMessage? I hate it. I accidentally minimized it once, but I don't know how it happened. And now I've accidentally maximized it again and I can't get rid of it. :xmad:

Settings>General>Keyboards>Predictive>off

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I had the understanding that a 4S was insufficient for ios8. I've finally gotten some of my battery life back under ios7.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I had the understanding that a 4S was insufficient for ios8. I've finally gotten some of my battery life back under ios7.

I have iOS 8 on my 4s. The only problem I have is a glitch with the copy/paste function. When I copy a link or something and try to paste it in a text, it pastes something older that I'd copied before instead of the link I just copied.

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I stopped updating my iPhone 4S at 6.1.3, about the same time the 5S came out. I have the fastest, most stable 4S on the planet.

My wife's 4S (same phone, purchased on the same day) on OS8 is just about useless now...slow, glitchy, poor battery life.

I'm happy with my decision.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I think I'm going to not put ios8 on mine. I think we're going to upgrade for Christmas and I think I'll just wait.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I stopped updating my iPhone 4S at 6.1.3, about the same time the 5S came out. I have the fastest, most stable 4S on the planet.

My wife's 4S (same phone, purchased on the same day) on OS8 is just about useless now...slow, glitchy, poor battery life.

I'm happy with my decision.

I've got 7.1.2 and mine's working well on it. FWIW.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Is there any way to downgrade the ios to 6.something? I used to be able to charge my phone maybe every 4 days, but it currently runs just over a day, and that's with a double capacity battery I put in. It was even worse with the previous 7.something; that wouldn't last 18 hours.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    No, 4S is as old as it gets. A straight 4 will not install it as its hardware is too slow to handle the new bells and whistles.

Is there any way to downgrade the ios to 6.something? I used to be able to charge my phone maybe every 4 days, but it currently runs just over a day, and that's with a double capacity battery I put in. It was even worse with the previous 7.something; that wouldn't last 18 hours.

No, once Apple releases a stable version, they disable the encryption certificate for the old OS so that it wont be accepted by your phone any longer. The only exception is they reactivated the cert for 8.0 for the 6/6+ because some of those would simply stop working on the cell towers.

REally annoys me because I have a bunch of users running 4s' at work who havent upgraded to 7, and now their only upgrade path is to 8.0.2. That will make a 4s crawl. So if they hadnt upgraded, they are missing some cool 7 features. If they DO upgrade, it makes the phone not run as well as it should.

As to your battery life issue, you can also take your phone to the apple store (or other repair places) and have the battery replaced. Those batteries go out over time which could be part of your battery life issues. If you are mechanically inclined this site is reputable and can sell you all the tools and parts you need to fix your phone, as well as videos and step by step guides. And prices are reasonable too.

I know firsthand a battery replacement is dead simple. its the second easiest fix... the first is a new back to fix a scratched camera lens.

http://www.ifixit.com

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    The update is the source of the **** poor battery life these days.

In many cases, yes. But I have seen at least three where it seemed to kill apparently borderline healthy batteries. After users reporting craptastic performance (4 hr life soon after upgrading) we replaced their batteries and they were NEARLY like new. Yes, they didnt have the same life as OOB, but it was still VERY good (10-14 hrs per charge)

db1959

Resident Dumbass I
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    In a garage
    No, 4S is as old as it gets. A straight 4 will not install it as its hardware is too slow to handle the new bells and whistles.

No, once Apple releases a stable version, they disable the encryption certificate for the old OS so that it wont be accepted by your phone any longer. The only exception is they reactivated the cert for 8.0 for the 6/6+ because some of those would simply stop working on the cell towers.

REally annoys me because I have a bunch of users running 4s' at work who havent upgraded to 7, and now their only upgrade path is to 8.0.2. That will make a 4s crawl. So if they hadnt upgraded, they are missing some cool 7 features. If they DO upgrade, it makes the phone not run as well as it should.

As to your battery life issue, you can also take your phone to the apple store (or other repair places) and have the battery replaced. Those batteries go out over time which could be part of your battery life issues. If you are mechanically inclined this site is reputable and can sell you all the tools and parts you need to fix your phone, as well as videos and step by step guides. And prices are reasonable too.

I know firsthand a battery replacement is dead simple. its the second easiest fix... the first is a new back to fix a scratched camera lens.

http://www.ifixit.com

Also, some of the 5's have a recall on the batteries. Apples site has a link to enter your serial number to see if it's recalled.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I've already replaced the battery, and I do have the tools. The one I put in supposedly has nearly twice the capacity of a stock one, but I didn't run a charge/discharge test to measure it, so it may be crap.

Sounds par for the course with apple not allowing a downgrade path. That's one thing I really like about my Opera browser; I think they're up to v24 but they still support v12. I genuinely hate every version after 12, and moreso with each one, but 12.17 is teh awesome. I seriously used to get 3-4 days out of this 4S with 6.whatever and the stock battery, and it went down to <8 hours when I updated to the first ios7 version. It'll go a day now, but not much more. This is the first apple product I've ever owned new (only because it was a $.99 upgrade), and it will probably be the last.

Top Bottom