• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Thundorr

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    fortville
    hi i've been a hunter and sporting clays shooter for about ten years. i recently bought my first handgun and have became intersted in starting to shoot at some contests. but i don't have any idea where to start. where can i go to check out some matches and just get my feet wet. also what is a good gun to buy to get started some what cheap but not a complete piece of junk. any advice you could give would help thanks.

GetA2J

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Terre Haute,Indiana
    Check out Atlanta Conservation Club
    They have several different type matches coming up.
    U.S.P.S.A. and I.D.P.A. coming up really soon.
    Guns....
    Springfield XD
    Glock
    Any 1911
    Smith & Wessom M&P line of pistols
    Several guys are using CZ I don't remember the model number though and some of the CZ's are junk so I hear.
    Thats enough foro you to research for semi-autos
    Then you can look at pretty much ANY revolver .38spl and larger.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Nearly any gun will suffice provided it is 9mm or larger. You need a holster that covers the trigger guard of the gun and magazine pouches for the magazines. If you plan to shoot production or Limited 10 you will need five magazines, carrying four on the belt. If you plan to shoot single stack six on the belt is recommended. The extra magazines are the first hang up for most people.

United States Practical Shooting Association is a good place to check out the rules and the divisions.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    what type of handgun shooting are you wanting to do? Bullseye or practical or steel?

1) find a match in your area.
    2) show up with a 9mm or larger pistol/revolver and enough mags/moonclips/speedloaders to hold 40 rounds
    3) have a safe holster that completely covers the trigger.
    4) know how your gun works enough to be safe with it
    5) let the people running the match know it's your first time.
    6) have fun

Shoot what you have for a while and worry about buying a new gun after you get a feel for what you like or need. Ask around at matches and people will usually let you put a few through their gun.

-rvb

GlockRiver

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    The Zone
    Try to start with a Steel Challenge match. There's no movement involved and very few if any mag changes required. Its a great way to experience competition, learn some safe gun handling practices, and its a ton of fun. You will have to draw from a holster and follow Range Officer commands. Just watch the other guys in your squad and you'll pick it up quickly. Good luck and be safe!

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Try to start with a Steel Challenge match. There's no movement involved and very few if any mag changes required. Its a great way to experience competition, learn some safe gun handling practices, and its a ton of fun. You will have to draw from a holster and follow Range Officer commands. Just watch the other guys in your squad and you'll pick it up quickly. Good luck and be safe!

We have one this Saturday at Riley. 10 am start.

Top Bottom