Interesting spin on the "Parent leaves child in car" scenario: WWYD?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Well, I'm not an irresponsible douche nozzle so I can't truthfully answer the question because I would never put my kid in that situation.
    There is somebody completely innocent in the story above..... they were protected from harm.... good save.

Now, to answer the hypothetical....... being that I am not an irresponsible douche nozzle.....
    Somebody having my child and refusing to return them would only be for nefarious reasons and the only result would be my boot up their ass.

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    I wouldn't do that to my kid, blah blah, better than that etc. etc.

Now to the reaction....It would be a beatin.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    If I was the parent, you would give me back my child.

If I were the rescuer, in the scenario described, I would probably give the child back but I would be one hell of a witness.

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    I want what's best for my kids, should I be in a situation where someone has my kid, AND THEY THINK THEY ARE HELPING, and not leaving the scene, then I'd call the police and wait, monitoring the situation.

You should not escalate the situation with children, quite literally in the middle.

as to this case, I would have returned the child, obtained the license plate and description for the responding officer. When emotions rise people get hurt.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    The mom "faces a year in jail if convicted". I have to wonder what is the penalty for kidnapping? This looks like a very Iffy situation all around. Kid could die in car vs "savior" could die being beaten to death by a loving mother.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I asked because even though this situation is pretty cut and dried when it comes to right or wrong, I can easily see some busy-bodies who thought they were right simply because they didn't like the decisions the parent was making. I'm reminded of the mom who let her child play outside while mom was inside the house. Some busy-body called LE in this particular case, but what if said busy-body had approached the child and taken "custody" of her because she was "alone and abandoned?"

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I think I may have called the police first then taken action if I saw a baby/child in a sweltering car for a lengthy time. Hopefully the police would have been their when the crazed mother came out of Game Stop (really, Game Stop?)

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    OMG, I wonder how I survived all those years riding in cars with no AC...or our house with no AC. Someone should've came and taken me away.

I HAVE left my kids in the car to run in the gas station to get them some juice. Since they are not old enough to be trusted for me to leave the keys/AC going, I roll the windows down and park where I can watch them. If someone would try to say I was being negligent I probably have at least a few choice words for them.

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    I HAVE left my kids in the car to run in the gas station to get them some juice. Since they are not old enough to be trusted for me to leave the keys/AC going, I roll the windows down and park where I can watch them. If someone would try to say I was being negligent I probably have at least a few choice words for them.

You're being negligent, at least you're very, very close to it.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    OMG, I wonder how I survived all those years riding in cars with no AC...or our house with no AC. Someone should've came and taken me away.

I have done the same. Gasp. INGO would flip its collective lid if it knew all the choices I've made regarding my children.

He's not.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009

I've done the same. Before my daughter was mobile I would leave the car running with the doors locked. When she became mobile car off, doors locked.

How so? In my case it was 10 feet or so and visible. How is that any different then let's say taking her to the park and being 10 feet or so away?

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    How so? In my case it was 10 feet or so and visible. How is that any different then let's say taking her to the park and being 10 feet or so away?
    Or letting her ride her bike to her friend's house 5 blocks over. I asked that in another thread on the same topic. Leaving kids in a locked car is bad. But letting them go out of sight is perfectly okay. Well, this is INGO after all.

Top Bottom