• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Barry in IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    This is sort of a feeler to see how many would be interested in Smallbore matches in the central Indiana area. I'm in the very early stages of trying to get it started at a club, but would like to know if there would be much interest before I go any further. When I asked a couple of club officers about it, they sounded in favor but said nobody had ever mentioned it before. I would have thought there would have been some previous interest, but apoarently not.

If this happens, it would be next year, with two to four matches on the calendar. My guess is we would start slow, with prone only at 50 and 100 yards. Perhaps three position later.

Without being too specific since it may not go beyond this point, the club is within 30 minutes of Indianapolis.

If you are interested, let me know. I'd like to have some rough idea to help make my pitch.

Thanks.

Barry in IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    That's what I was hoping to hear. I shot my first BR-50 match recently and a dad brought his son along to get a taste of competition shooting. They spent the entire time trying to get the rifle zeroed to the little BR bull. I don't know if he got much out of it, but I'd think Smallbore with its larger target and more emphasis on position shooting than bench technique would have been better for him. But it was the only game at that club, so they used what there was.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Well, heck, twist my arm. I'm really not a rifle shooter, but I have a position gun gathering dust and could probably be convinced to get it out and shoot it a couple times a year, maybe more. I've never shot a smallbore match and it might be neat to see what it's about.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I'm not familiar with this type of shooting. Is it unsupported prone or do you bring bi-pods, bags, etc.? And what is smallbore? .22LR only?

I would be interested in unsupported prone, sitting and/or standing or any one of those. Is it structured like hi-power matches?

Thanks.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Small bore is .22 rimfire shot from unsupported positions. Doing it right is a very sophisticated form of shooting sports. The NRA has an online rule book for official matches. If there was some official smallbore competitions in Lafayette I would surely give it a try.

Barry in IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    .22 rimfire. Unsupported. Although...you will see little bipods on Smallbore rifles sometimes; they are short and only to rest the rifle on between shots.

Its sorta kinda similar to Highpower, minus rapid fire stages. There are lots of variations in matches, but most seem to be either position matches (3- and 4-position: 4-includes kneeling) or prone matches. NRA Smallbore is usually shot at 50 and/or 100 yards, although there are some indoor 50-ft clubs around the country.
    There are Iron Sight and Any Sight matches too.
    Like I said- lots of variations.

For simplicity, I would push to start out with prone matches. Maybe even 50 yards only the first time. Then we can see how it goes.

If, thats IF, they let this happen, I don't see it being a big commitment for competitors. I would guess two to four matches next year. They don't want the range lost to matches all the weekends of the month, so I am going to propose holding them in months with five Saturdays. There are four months in good weather having five Saturdays next year. If I can get them to agree to half those dates I'd be surprised and pleased.
    Now, if a bunch of people show up the first time with wads of entry fee money in hand, I'm sure they will be open to expansion.

top hat 45

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    northern shelby co.
    i'm interested in maybe hosting a match. where do you live? i've thought about having a 22 rf shoot at 25, 50, and 100 yds. any position, bench, prone, open sights, scopes, with classes for different modifications, semi and bolt.

i'm open to suggestions for and against the classes for the different rifles.

dennymac

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2009
    La Grange, KY
    Define your version of 'smallbore' competition. Are you talking about 3 Position International, prone, or bench rest? There is already a contingent of smallbore cometitors in this area. Some of them are world class shooters. We at the Southern Indiana Rifle & Pistol Club have a small grouip of shooters that regularly attend our matches. We shoot indoor 50 foot matches, outdoor 50 yard and 100 yard matches, and rimfire varmint matches. Set up a match schedule, post it on the internet, and promote it. There is a good chance that 'they will come'. DennyMac

Steell

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 10, 2013
    Eaton
    North or south of Indy? I live North of Muncie and have been spending all my money on guns or ammo, leaving none for gas.

Mormprepr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2013
    Whiteland
    I'd be interested if it isn't too expensive. I don't want to pay a lot of money just to look bad in front of a bunch of people I don't know. I already have enough "Good Effort" and "Thanks for Trying" ribbons.

gatorindy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 2, 2009
    I'm in.. Add me to the list

This would be something different to do.
    I'd be interested if it isn't too expensive. I don't want to pay a lot of money just to look bad in front of a bunch of people I don't know. I already have enough "Good Effort" and "Thanks for Trying" ribbons.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    The Indoor season has started at HHRP.org and there is a smallbore match every Thursday night of some sort, We usually do 3 nights of serious shooting and then a fun night a month,

Check the schedule and the map at the website, any detailed questions please use the email link and then if still needed I'll give you a number to call

Top Bottom