• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • samot

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Your mamas house
    I have never attended a steel , 3 gun match, or any kind of compitition shooting. Im wanting to get into some competition shooting. Where is the best place to find info on different types of matches? I would like to test my skills with my HK 53SBR & or my Colt 6920 , maybe my Glock as well. Any help would be greatly appriciated

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    ACT Instructional League is all about USPSA pistol competitions and a great place to start.

Adaptive Consulting & Training

aron@adaptiveconsultingandtraining.com

I would recommend starting with the pistol and getting the general idea and basic rules down and then giving a three gun match a try.

Check out the match schedule at wvpps.com. It should be the nearest to your location.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I have never attended a steel , 3 gun match, or any kind of compitition shooting. Im wanting to get into some competition shooting. Where is the best place to find info on different types of matches? I would like to test my skills with my HK 53SBR & or my Colt 6920 , maybe my Glock as well. Any help would be greatly appriciated

Here are URLs to some sponsoring organizations and sites with rules for competition.

United States Practical Shooting Association
    3gunrules.com - Homepage
    SCSA
    International Defensive Pistol Association

BrandonM

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Morgan County
    I just want to say that Im very new to this all, but I already feel like i have learned so much from just the links you guys have just gave me. I am considering going to watch the upcoming Friday Night Steel on the 8th. Do you know if they allow spectators? I have never been to a shooting competion, but like samot stated, I am interested in it. Thanks for the help

Brandon

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I just want to say that Im very new to this all, but I already feel like i have learned so much from just the links you guys have just gave me. I am considering going to watch the upcoming Friday Night Steel on the 8th. Do you know if they allow spectators? I have never been to a shooting competion, but like samot stated, I am interested in it. Thanks for the help

Brandon

Feel free to spectate, but just break-down and bring your gun and shoot the darn match. you won't be sorry. Heck, come and shoot in my squad and I'll give you all the good pointers....:):

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Feel free to spectate, but just break-down and bring your gun and shoot the darn match. you won't be sorry. Heck, come and shoot in my squad and I'll give you all the good pointers....:):

Ditto! Come with $15, your gun and 150 rounds. Don't forget eye and ear protection.

I started this just over a year ago and have been back nearly every time since. Listen to VUPDblue, he is an excellent hand holder (and shooting coach.)

opus1776

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    VUPDblue, he is an excellent hand holder

:wrongdoor:

:stickpoke:

and Nick's likely reply to me : :orly: :mods: :nono:

:D

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.....

======================================

"Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels" K. Moss

You can NEVER be too rich or too thin.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

Friday Night Steel is a great way to get started, either watching or shooting. Make sure you ask lots of questions.

I should also mention that ACT has its competition pistol class scheduled for 27MAR2010. If you're interested in USPSA shooting, it's a great way to start since we'll cover how the matches work, what you need, the rules, etc. It's also useful for IDPA, but we won't cover their specific rules. The following day we'll have one of our league shoots, which will be run like a match, but you'll get to shoot each stage twice with advice and critique offered after each attempt.

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    Friday Night Steel is a great way to get started, either watching or shooting. Make sure you ask lots of questions.

I should also mention that ACT has its competition pistol class scheduled for 27MAR2010. If you're interested in USPSA shooting, it's a great way to start since we'll cover how the matches work, what you need, the rules, etc. It's also useful for IDPA, but we won't cover their specific rules. The following day we'll have one of our league shoots, which will be run like a match, but you'll get to shoot each stage twice with advice and critique offered after each attempt.

I highly recommend this class. It was very informative and gave me that final bit of motivation to start shooting USPSA.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.

I should also mention that ACT has its competition pistol class scheduled for 27MAR2010. If you're interested in USPSA shooting, it's a great way to start since we'll cover how the matches work, what you need, the rules, etc.

I should have stated this so Rhino didn't have to. FNS is a great way to gently break in to "competitive" (mostly fun) shooting and the ACT class is simply AWESOME. I had shot many matches and later attended the ACT class and still learned new stuff. Plus you get some great instruction and shoot each stage twice.

BrandonM

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Morgan County
    Ya I would love to compete but I havent received my LTCH yet in the mail :n00b: so I dont believe I can transport it anywhere to shoot yet. :rolleyes: I will definitely think about that class in March though. This site is just a wealth of knowledge lol. A lot more friendly than the other forums I have been on. :ingo:

Top Bottom