• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Judamonster

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 19, 2022
    I setup additional insurance for the items I own. At that time I was told to document what I have and to store that data in a safe place. Firearms, accessories, ammo are all covered. A week later and I get a call from a different person in the company asking me to send them photographs and serial numbers of everything. They asked for receipts as well, but i no longer have any. I have had some of these for over 25 years. The store I boight them from most likely discarded that data and I sure did. The majority are not recorded anywhere anyway. I don't love the idea of sending that data anywhere. Could this information end up in a government database that is not supposed to exist? Could they decide at some point to contact insurance companies to get this data?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I setup additional insurance for the items I own. At that time I was told to document what I have and to store that data in a safe place. Firearms, accessories, ammo are all covered. A week later and I get a call from a different person in the company asking me to send them photographs and serial numbers of everything. They asked for receipts as well, but i no longer have any. I have had some of these for over 25 years. The store I boight them from most likely discarded that data and I sure did. The majority are not recorded anywhere anyway. I don't love the idea of sending that data anywhere. Could this information end up in a government database that is not supposed to exist? Could they decide at some point to contact insurance companies to get this data?
    I have a "personal property" policy with State Farm. I sent them a document with pics and serial numbers and the amounts for which I want each firearm insured. I have no concerns that it will end up in a government database.

ed1838

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 20, 2022
    Seymour
    I have a "personal property" policy with State Farm. I sent them a document with pics and serial numbers and the amounts for which I want each firearm insured. I have no concerns that it will end up in a government database.
    What do you do if get another or let one go?

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    I have a blanket policy for a high amount, then have all my NFA and high value items scheduled (things I’m never going to sell.) Leaves a lot of room for trading things that aren’t special and don’t need to be individually documented.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Just redid my insurance last spring.

My farmowners/homeowners guy had said ‘oh yea your firearms are covered’ but the detail he left out was it was 4 glocks or 2 Sigs, $2500 worth. And then, he said he needed serial numbers and values. Screw that.

I really had no idea what I had value wise and was shocked when I discovered there needed to be a zero added to the end of that.

Eastern insurance

was great to work with.

Fill out this form.
    Laura will call you.
    Don’t be a typical midwesterner, say what you want and don’t waste words, she’s from the East. But she will take care of you.

If you’re under 40k total value you don’t have to give them an itemized list or anything.
    Covers scopes, ammo, and accessories.

Costs next to nothing.

And no serial numbers to report, trade/buy/sell with no ramifications whatsoever.

I haven’t had any claims experience but the thread that originally suggested eastern had some in it that had good experiences IIRC.

I did make a spreadsheet with all my inventory at their suggestion, which I should have done long ago.

As for your company asking for receipts, I think a bunch of swivel seated pinheads make stuff up to justify their jobs. But what do I know, I dig ditches.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012

My farmowners/homeowners guy had said ‘oh yea your firearms are covered’ but the detail he left out was it was 4 glocks or 2 Sigs, $2500 worth. And then, he said he needed serial numbers and values. Screw that.

I really had no idea what I had value wise and was shocked when I discovered there needed to be a zero added to the end of that.

Eastern insurance

was great to work with.

Fill out this form.
    Laura will call you.
    Don’t be a typical midwesterner, say what you want and don’t waste words, she’s from the East. But she will take care of you.

If you’re under 40k total value you don’t have to give them an itemized list or anything.

Costs next to nothing.

And no serial numbers to report, trade/buy/sell with no ramifications whatsoever.

I haven’t had any claims experience but the thread that originally suggested eastern had some in it that had good experiences IIRC.

I did make a spreadsheet with all my inventory at their suggestion, which I should have done long ago.

As for your company asking for receipts, I think a bunch of swivel seated pinheads make stuff up to justify their jobs. But what do I know, I dig ditches.
    Exactly this.

Judamonster

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 19, 2022
    My insurance covers an unlimited amount (up to my personal property cap) for everything except theft. Theft had a $5k max. And I can bump that to $10k for $18 a year. Covers firearms. Ammo, accessories. It's worth it, just weird to get told one thing and a week later be told something else.

Lodge

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 28, 2016
    Johnson Co.
    MIne are insured with State Farm under an additional rider to my homeowners.
    Date purchased, serial number and value. Minimal premium cost.
    At this point, I'm more concerned about crackheads stealing my gear than the government stealing it.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    My last paragraph in my post above kind of has some attitude with it; that’s because I’m a one man band in the bookkeeping, bill pay, and general juggling department.
    My insurance company sends me annual audits based on policy anniversary for workers comp, and again for commercial liability, wanting to know wages paid. I have that info easily in hand in January, but not really August or October.

I tell you this just to say that I always negotiate the date out to when it’s convenient for me. New case worker every time is not used to this, someone negotiating with them. But they eventually give instead of cancelling the policy.

I would suggest at least asking them why, at least on the receipt requirement, and try to get that knocked off. People that are sitting in an office with not enough to do will often times roll over, if you don’t.

Magyars

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Delaware County Freehold

Eastern insurance

was great to work with.

Fill out this form.
    Laura will call you.

Costs next to nothing.

Just contacted them. We'll see how it goes

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    My homeowners insurance will cover my firearms. I guess that's one good thing about having just a few.

I was told if I wanted to obtain specific coverage for each firearm, I would have to send them the serial numbers of each firearm along with some other data.

I wasn't comfortable with doing that so I'm okay with the set amount they would give me for the firearms.

I do have a spreadsheet with purchase date, price paid, current value, picture and serial number data. I would use that after the fact for my proof of ownership.

But the reality for me is that if my house burned to the ground, I would take the check(s) and rebuild from there with a priority list. Most likely I would end up with even less firearms than I have now.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I talked to my insurance person about covering my firearms. Was told they could do it over the phone, just read the firearm name and serial number. I asked how many days they would be able to spend on the phone? :D

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    My son is using the insurance that he got through the NRA. I'm not sure how good they are, but they seemed reasonable IIRC. Might be something to check into.
    He increased the coverage over what they originally offered.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    In a world where NSA exists, nothing is really secure.

However I think they would hit up ATFs big database first. At a certain point the specifics of your inventory don't really matter, they know you possess both guns and wrong opinions.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    State farm in my experience is the best for those of us that dont want to get our guns on a list. They have a dedicated policy for furs, jewelry, and valuables that also covers firearms. Its not tied to your homeowners as a rider and is its own policy.

You simply tell them how much coverage you need, and pay your premiums. When you suffer a loss, you present serials and photos to prove you had them and they pay out. So you dont have to tell them what you have (had) until the rubber meets the road.

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I just paid my annual Armscare Plus bill. They came recommended, but I've never had a claim to verify their worth.

Emo66

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2021
    Valparaiso
    State Farm dropped me after my third claim in 25 years. First was hail damage to my roof, 10 years later tree fell on garage, lastly hit by lightning. None of which I could have prevented. I wouldn’t let State Farm insure my dog house!

jspy5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Southern Marion County
    I ditched State Farm years ago based on the fact they wouldn't replace my hail damaged roof. Apparently my house is one of the few in the area that had some type of " bubble shield " around the outside of it.

Top Bottom