I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    A good step up from a Baofeng, but still very affordable:

TYT.png

https://www.radioddity.com/products...tery-car-charger-2-antennas-programming-cable
    My first radio after I passed my Tech was a TYT UV8000. It is a good solid little radio that is simple to learn and use. Still have it and use it to monitor the Storm Spotters when I am at work.

CPE1704TKS

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2012
    I used the HAM Tech app for IOS and found it to be a great tool with the random practice exams. I passed the Technician test last night and only used the app to study.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    FYI...

Relay about FCC rule change from Ray K9DUR

On September 16, 2020, the FCC adopted Report and Order FCC 20-126. This R&O requires that ALL licensees in any radio service administered by the Wireless Telecommunications Bureau (WTB) must have a current e-mail address on file as part of their ULS record. This includes the Amateur Radio Service. These new regulations will go into effect 6 months after the R&O is published in the Federal Register. It has not yet been published.

There are changes to 2 sections in Part 97 -- §97.21 & §97.23.

The new text of §97.23 reads:

§ 97.23 Mailing and e-mail addresses.
    Each license grant must show the grantee's correct name, mailing address, and e-mail address. The e-mail address must be an address where the grantee can receive electronic correspondence. Revocation of the station license or suspension of the operator license may result when correspondence from the FCC is returned as undeliverable because the grantee failed to provide the correct e-mail address.

The changes to §97.23 are similar in that the words “mailing address” are replaced with the words “mailing and e-mail address” each time that they appear.

This new regulation requires that all existing licensees update their ULS record to include a current e-mail address the same as a current mailing address. This can be done either online or by submitting an application through a VE test session. In SessionManager, simply add an application, check the “Change Address” box, & enter an e-mail address.

Note that in other parts of the R&O, it is made clear that once an official notice or other correspondence, such as an enforcement action, is sent to the e-mail address on file, the FCC considers it to have been received by the licensee.

73, Ray Andrews, K9DUR
    Regional Coordinator, 9th Call Area
    Laurel ARC VEC

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I just picked up my first Baofeng BF-F8HP and would like to know if anyone has the best way to program it? I have seen some mixed things on Youtube but I have never programmed a hand held radio so this is new to me. Thanks

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I just picked up my first Baofeng BF-F8HP and would like to know if anyone has the best way to program it? I have seen some mixed things on Youtube but I have never programmed a hand held radio so this is new to me. Thanks

Where are you from? I can do it, in Fort Wayne. Otherwise get a genuine Baofeng programming cable. You do not want a generic prolific chipped cable. Get free copy of Chirp programming software, and download your radios image to it. Save that file as your emergency backup in case you mess up the programming. Open another programming file (that I can email you) and copy and paste that to your radios open file in chirp then write it back to your radio.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Where are you from? I can do it, in Fort Wayne. Otherwise get a genuine Baofeng programming cable. You do not want a generic prolific chipped cable. Get free copy of Chirp programming software, and download your radios image to it. Save that file as your emergency backup in case you mess up the programming. Open another programming file (that I can email you) and copy and paste that to your radios open file in chirp then write it back to your radio.

To piggy back on his message. If you follow the link in my sig you will find a chiro file to add indiana repeaters to your radio.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Are hamfests doomed? The Ham-Con in Texas has been there for 41 years. They announced today that it's over. Kaput. No more. Xenia seems to be positive there will be a Hamvention this year but they are hedging their bets too.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Are hamfests doomed? The Ham-Con in Texas has been there for 41 years. They announced today that it's over. Kaput. No more. Xenia seems to be positive there will be a Hamvention this year but they are hedging their bets too.

Most large events, conventions, etc are going through this sort of retrenchment.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I would presume under the circumstances as long as they arent run by an org that needs to pay FT staff year round they will be back eventually. Though this might be a good excuse to throw in the towel since ham radio is not as popular as it once was. You know, die before all of their attendees do since the majority seem to be older.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    I would presume under the circumstances as long as they arent run by an org that needs to pay FT staff year round they will be back eventually. Though this might be a good excuse to throw in the towel since ham radio is not as popular as it once was. You know, die before all of their attendees do since the majority seem to be older.

Wow! That's quite an overstatement...

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    I dunno, man. The amount of 70+ year old guys on 2m using ham radio to talk exclusively about ham radio is probably approaching 75%.

I feel like a kid on the air, and I'm 51.

A mere whipper snapper!

Seriously, though, what do you propose to do about it?

Our local club is pretty much the same, I guess. I look around the meetings and its mostly old retired guys. Lots of gray hair. I raised it as a question at one meeting where there was a lot of *****ing about the lack of young people. Asked what about an outreach to the high school. I was told "we tried that once and it didn't work out". So...

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    A mere whipper snapper!

Our local club is pretty much the same, I guess. I look around the meetings and its mostly old retired guys. Lots of gray hair. I raised it as a question at one meeting where there was a lot of *****ing about the lack of young people. Asked what about an outreach to the high school. I was told "we tried that once and it didn't work out". So...

My grand kids that are licensed are 15-17 years old. I wouldn't let them on some of the VHF machines around here. Too many fat drunk and stupids. We enjoy getting on HF together, and doing POTA, but the local club is all but dead, and good riddance. We enjoy the virtual clubs like POTA, SKCC, and Islands on the Air.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    My grand kids that are licensed are 15-17 years old. I wouldn't let them on some of the VHF machines around here. Too many fat drunk and stupids. We enjoy getting on HF together, and doing POTA, but the local club is all but dead, and good riddance. We enjoy the virtual clubs like POTA, SKCC, and Islands on the Air.

I'll look into those virtual clubs. Thanks

Sooo, do you keep your grandkids off the internet, too? Because there are a lot of "fat drunk and stupids" on the WWW.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy

Not sure that there's a whole lot that can be done about it. Cell phones and the internet have made ham radio basically obsolete for anyone who is not a hobbyist or a prepper. Personally, I don't have much use for ham radio as anything other than a backup communication method and to chat with one relative that actually is a hobbyist. I won't let my license expire, but if I didn't have him to chat with, not sure what I'd use ham radio for on a regular basis. Check into a 2m net every once in a while, I suppose. And it's nice to have local weather nets when needed.

But nobody else in my family is remotely interested in getting licensed, so I got my GMRS license and a few handhelds for emergencies that will be fine for short range or car-to-car communications, if needed. Honestly, if there were a couple of GMRS repeaters in central Indiana, not sure I'd even mess with ham radio. For as much as the geezers gripe about no young people on the air, they sure tend to be a cliquish bunch.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I'll look into those virtual clubs. Thanks

Sooo, do you keep your grandkids off the internet, too? Because there are a lot of "fat drunk and stupids" on the WWW.
    I have no control over their internet access. I know they have a computer in the living room they are allowed to use for school. They are all home schooled. I assume their mom and dad keeps a pretty close eye on it. I know the WIFI shuts off at 9PM.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I picked up a couple GT3TP radios. Been listening daily at different times. Nothing good. Think I'll hold off on the license and keep these around for emergency use only or possibly GMRS??? Not sure yet.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Amateur radio licensing used to be free, but will be $35 soon. GMRS license was $70 for 10 years, but will be dropping to $35.

Top Bottom